H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 05-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

lobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Roof marker lights

Is the 'DS A-pillar plastic ' different than the piece of foam they put between the roof marker lights and the top of the truck?

I've had my truck in for the 'newest' GM fix which was this new 'gasket' that was suppose to work. My service dept. even put 2 'gaskets' in the space. At the time - no vibration! But it's been a few months and the vibration has slowly returned. It's been so loud sometimes that even the radio can't disguise the noise.

I recently emialed my service dept. and here's what they suggested:

The only thing that I could possibly do at this time would be to apply a urethane adhesive between the light bar and roof of the vehicle. This has been taking care of the issue for some other customers. As far as the side moldings on the windshield, they have not distributed the the new parts yet.

I am so not interested in 'glue' as the fix to this problem! Can't GM fix this?! Seems we all have enough experience they should be asking our advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
I took mine back in to get it fixed right at three weeks ago and so far everything is great. Sure, you get a little extra wind noise from them and I do mean a little, hardly even noticable. I do not have an issue with them vibrating anymore though. When I took it in this time they replace the DS A-pillar plastic and that seems to have taken care of it. Every time I took it in before the fix only lasted for a week or two but I think after 3 weeks they finally seem to have it right.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
Is the 'DS A-pillar plastic ' different than the piece of foam they put between the roof marker lights and the top of the truck?

I've had my truck in for the 'newest' GM fix which was this new 'gasket' that was suppose to work. My service dept. even put 2 'gaskets' in the space. At the time - no vibration! But it's been a few months and the vibration has slowly returned. It's been so loud sometimes that even the radio can't disguise the noise.

I recently emialed my service dept. and here's what they suggested:

The only thing that I could possibly do at this time would be to apply a urethane adhesive between the light bar and roof of the vehicle. This has been taking care of the issue for some other customers. As far as the side moldings on the windshield, they have not distributed the the new parts yet.

I am so not interested in 'glue' as the fix to this problem! Can't GM fix this?! Seems we all have enough experience they should be asking our advice.

The DS A-pillar plastic is the black plastic trim that goes up the side of the windshield on the drivers side. I don't know if I was just lucky in the fact that it fixed the issue on mine but maybe when the new ones get to the dealership it will fix yours. I have also had mine get so loud that you could not understand what was on the stereo. For a week or so before I took it in this last time the vibrating noise would start at as low a speed as 50 MPH. So far after close to a month I am still having no issues. One thing you might try as a test to see if it is the marker lights or if it is the a-pillar is put some electrical tape along the leading edge of the marker lights. This should stop air from getting under them and causing a vibration. I believe someone did this and it worked for them. Let us know what happens if you do try it.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

lobo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 99% sure it's the roof marker lights causing the vibration. I can stick my hand out my sun roof and push down on the roof marker lights and the vibration stops. I would be so lucky to have the 'new' plastic trim on the sides of the windshield fix my problem. Now I just have to wait and see if GM releases these sometime soon?!!!?

I have heard about the electrical tape fix...also someone else used some sort of plastic moulding...I just think there should be something better. Not one of us bought our H3 thinking we would be 'duct taping' together

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
The DS A-pillar plastic is the black plastic trim that goes up the side of the windshield on the drivers side. I don't know if I was just lucky in the fact that it fixed the issue on mine but maybe when the new ones get to the dealership it will fix yours. I have also had mine get so loud that you could not understand what was on the stereo. For a week or so before I took it in this last time the vibrating noise would start at as low a speed as 50 MPH. So far after close to a month I am still having no issues. One thing you might try as a test to see if it is the marker lights or if it is the a-pillar is put some electrical tape along the leading edge of the marker lights. This should stop air from getting under them and causing a vibration. I believe someone did this and it worked for them. Let us know what happens if you do try it.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm 99% sure it's the roof marker lights causing the vibration. I can stick my hand out my sun roof and push down on the roof marker lights and the vibration stops.

Never tried that. I would have never thought that it was anything but the marker lights on mine. Who knows, maybe they just got it right this time.

Quote:
I have heard about the electrical tape fix...also someone else used some sort of plastic moulding...I just think there should be something better. Not one of us bought our H3 thinking we would be 'duct taping' together

I did try the door trim fix and it seemed to help a first. The time before when I had it in to be fixed they left the trim on there. When it started coming back I took the trim off and the vibrating noise was a lot quieter. I agree, they need to figure out how to fix this right and not do things like glue it down

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights