H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road
Default H3 Adventure, 5Speed - scarce

So I'm looking for a 2008 replacement for my 06. And my dealer does a search for an adventure, 5 Speed. A few come up - they all have sunroofs. I can't fit in a sunroof-ed H3. I hit my head a little bit. Anyway,

I broaden my search to a few dealers listed on cars.com or Edmunds. Around the MI, OH, Area. Even one in CA for good measure. No one can find an H3, Adventure, 5speed without a sunroof. Are the majority of the 3's being built with the sunroof? or is an Adventure w/ manual that rare and the few that are out there happen to have sunroofs? Just wondering.

How many folks here have an adventure w/ manual tranny?

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H3 Adventure, 5Speed - scarce

Why don't you order one how you want it?

Mine took about 6 weeks to get it after ordering.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Hummer Authority

Yes, I can order one, but I believe orders now are for 2009 models. And there's a $7000 - $8000 rebate on all 08's. So I was looking to upgrade and save a little $ at the same time.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Major Tom is on a distinguished road
Question Re: H3 Adventure, 5Speed - scarce

This may be stupid, but how will a sun roof change head room clearance ??
Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

If he is really tall he can stick his head out the sunroof.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

I have an adventure with the manual and sunroof. I believe the figure is only 5% of H3's have the manual transmission. So your chances are not very good to find the right combo.

How tall are you? I am 6'4" and do not hit my head.

If you order an 09' you could get front and rear lockers.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Hummer Authority

Sunroof reduces the ceiling inside the cab to give room for the glass to retract under the top of the truck.

I'm only 6'0". But when I sit up straight, my head hits the roof. I bet at 6'4" , yours does too. Yes, I could tilt the seat back, but I still hit my head at times. I had an Infiniti QX4 (Pathfinder), that had a sunroof. I loved the truck but it bugged for for 4 years that I didnt have enough head room in it. And one of the reasons I bought the H3, is because it has enough headroom (when no sunroof is installed).

Wow, about 5% are 5 Speeds. Interesting. Thanks. That would explain it. I knew it was a minority, but didnt think it was that little.

Oh well, I'll keep looking. Wait til the H3T comes to my dealer in a few months. And keeping an eye out for the Hx.

29-Jul-2008
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

That is too funny, I usually hit my head in my vehicles, but the H3 has been one of the few that I do not. FWIW if I sit straight up and down I hit my head, but I never drive sitting prim and proper.

In 06 I had to order mine to get the manual transmission and the other goodies I wanted.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road

I also don't understand how the sunroof can be possibly in the way - mine is actually sort of recessed into the roof, so if anything it in fact gives more room above the head (or right half of head better to say) then if there would be plain roof. I'm 6' as well...

Maybe there are different types of sunroofs on H3s out there? HummerHippy, can you please post a picture of those sunroofs if you happen to have one?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

6pack is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 6-2 and don't have a problem. Have you lowered the seat all the way?

If only 5% are 5spd adventures, I wonder what percentage are 5spd, adventure and luxury? That's what I have... with the sunroof.
2007 H3 Lux/Adv 5 speed, Gibson Extreme Duals cat-back, K&N FIPK, PCMforless tune, SAW torsion bars, Samco Shackles, Fox Racing shocks, Trail Duty Bump Stops, 35" ProComp Xterrain tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack
Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Hummer Professional

Metallic Red is on a distinguished road

Just to let you know Hummer Hippy, I was at my local Hummer dealer tonight(Scott Hummer- Emmaus, PA) and they had (3) H3's with manual shift.

Parked right next to (2) H2's only (2), and a parking lot full of Cadillac's, this was on the Hummer lot

HCMI Member 50043
Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I'm really curious why you feel you would have headroom issues with the sunroof?

I'm 6'5/6'6 and I'm not even close to hitting my head, infact I've got the most headroom both in height and forward to the windshield than any vehicle I've ever been in.

BTW, your issue might be if you have the manual seat adjustment over the electronic. I think I remember hearing that the manual seat adjustment didn't allow as much adjustment room...

Last edited by RazM : 08-04-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic Red
Just to let you know Hummer Hippy, I was at my local Hummer dealer tonight(Scott Hummer- Emmaus, PA) and they had (3) H3's with manual shift.

Parked right next to (2) H2's only (2), and a parking lot full of Cadillac's, this was on the Hummer lot
Thanks. I've emailed a few dealers and they were nice enough to do sp,e searches. even 2000 mile searches from CA. No 5sp Adventures w/o sunroof. If you think theres one at your near by dealer, let me know. I'll email them. Thanks! Actually, I'll just email them anyway.

Ok, just looked at their website. 3 5 speeds. All 1SA base models. No Adv Pkg.

As for the other questions about head room...All I know, is that I hot my head on the ceiling/head liner when an H3 has a sunroof and the seat is pretty straight up. Ok, forget the seat position, when theres a sunroof, sit up and move your head forward to the windshield as if to look up and a traffic light. Dont tilt your head. Keep the body straight. Does your head hit the ceiling? Mine does when theres a sun roof, and does not when there is NOT a sunroof. It's because the ceiling is lower to make space for the retracted sunroof to fit between the interior headliner and the outside roof.

Can I lean the seat back so that I dont hit it when I am driving? Yes, but then my arms are just about fully extended. And I've driving a Infiiniti QX4 for 4 years like that. Drove me to replace it with a truck that I can sit up in and NOT hit my head. There arent many. H3 is one of them.

You tall people, let me know if you hit your head if yo lean forward.

29-Jul-2008

Last edited by HummerHippy : 08-04-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

I just spent all day TRYING to hit my head, and no matter what I do, I don't even come close, and that includes looking all the way forward and up, having my back straight and no head tilting. The only way I come close is if I pull myself all the way forward and stretch myself out in an akward position, but nobody sits like this and I'm practically lifting myself out of the seat.

I think it all comes down to how you have the seat adjusted. I have the seat all the way back, down, and slightly reclining. Do you have manual adjusting seats or the electric?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazM
I think it all comes down to how you have the seat adjusted. I have the seat all the way back, down, and slightly reclining. Do you have manual adjusting seats or the electric?
I have manual seats. Cloth. So no height adjustment. Back almost all the way. 1 position forward, and the back is reclined only slightly. I've sat in many H3s. Leather, and cloth. Powered and not. I've adjusted them, Ive had dealership adjust them, doesnt matter. WITH SUNROOF, I can sit up and hit my head, or if seat is just about all the way vertical, can hit my head. WITHOUT SUNROOF, I cannot hit my head.

Now, hitting head is on the head liner, not actual sunroof. Just to be clear. So what can I say? But thanks for checking.

29-Jul-2008
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 AM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

I'll just throw my 2 cents in here. I'm 6'4" and have manual seats in my H3. I don't keep the seat all the way back, nor is it reclined a great deal. I don't have a problem with my head hitting the roof, never had. I'm fairly long in the torso.

I did have that problem for 4 years with my wife's RX300 (bought it anyway because she wanted it). Traded it for a Mercury Mountaineer (that I never test drove) and was really ticked off that my head hit the roof in it, dumped it after 8 months. Now she has a Chrysler T&C that I didn't even want to test drive because of the sunroof, but once I did I found out it had plenty of room.

So, I understand the problem but I am a bit surprised since the H3 is fairly tall. Too bad, though, because the sunroof really adds to the coolness factor.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer Guy

HA!! Yea, that'd be about right.

29-Jul-2008
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Dealers order most of the trucks. Automatics are way easier to move. There is also an add for an automatic when the vehicle is resold.

Most dealers will order very few manuals because they don't want to get stuck trying to move a more difficult vehicle.

A more rural dealer may take the chance with a stick more than a city dealer, but most Hummer dealers are close to larger urban areas. A big off road dealer like Lynch might also be more willing to order some sticks. They probably go pretty fast because if someone specifically wants a stick, they go get it or dealer trade for it.

I know, I know....... but that's why.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Hummer Authority

Thx Rugged. I know they're fairly scarce. I think mine sat on the dealer lot for months before I bought it. No one wanted a 5speed. Go figure.

29-Jul-2008