H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Default Okay ... I'm calling GM now.

Re: Rear right axle grind sound with periodic whine .... thanks to ALL of you had tried the quick stop in your 3's for me and offered me suggestions. I just got back from the dealer /service dept ... took the test drive AGAIN with the Service Mgr. They had mine for 10 days this go around and said they couldn't find any problem. He said they took apart (?)the axle, looked at the rear wheels again, and the crossbars (?!) .. no problem. He said they called Hummer Assist and was told that if they checked what they said they checked, then .... "Some H3's just have that grind sound". I told him, "Looks like I'll have to call GM myself and see if they could send someone out, because the dealership just doesn't seem to know the Hummer product very well." He looked at me and said to try if I think it'll help. I left my 3 there. Tomorrow they will paint the hood and hood boxes. <grrrrr> Of course, during the test drive the sound was still there, as he told me it would be. I think someone here had posted this number to call for GM: 866-790-5600. Wish me luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Okay ... I'm calling GM now.

Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Hummer Guru

I spoke to the Hummer Division of GM two hours ago. I capsulized everything that the H3 has gone in for so far to the service department up to date .. then I detailed her with the latest unresolved problem, which began on June 6. The dealer had the 3, SO FAR, for 23 days from June 6 to today, July 10. With the hood painting now, they will have it an additional 3-4 days in addition. She 'sort of' hinted to me that dealership may not be "Hummer-savvy" and would I want to consider taking it to another dealer who has had more experience with Hummers. I told her that doesn't sound very encouraging .. to have a dealership SELL Hummer's, but not have the knowledge to repair them effieciently? I told her driving a distance to another dealer would not be convenient and that I'd REALLY like to have a Hummer rep look at my 3, or, at the very least, talk/walk the service mgr through my problem. She's going to call me tomorrow after she talks to my service mgr at the dealer and the regional Hummer rep (who also REALLY specializes in Cadillac's. AGH!) I said that my biggest concern is that this problem may escalate to something serious downline. She agreed and told me that as the very least, they may be able to give me an extended warranty on certain components, in case I have serious problems later with this grinding. I don't live in a small town .. <laughing> ... this shouldn't be happening. I'll update what happens tomorrow. Thanks again for your support.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

ShortBus is off the scale

I think that you could probably talk the 5086 people on this forum to complain to GM about that dealership. That would get some attention.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure GM would love to hear from DirkDiggler and Frankenstien
Old 07-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

Maybe we won't use the forum to forward the complaints, but you could post the info about the dealership and let nature take it's course. These guys do drive by's for bad EBAY deals. Bashing a bad dealership would just be fun for 'em. Just hope that it gets better and not burned down.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Steve - SanJose

Sometimes you just wish it would blow up, making it easier to diagnose.

S.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't give up! and keep pushin up the ladder. Try to find out the GM reps number. You start buggin him and things will happen. I know that threating to paint you truck with a big lemon and roll up to the tv news is always a great bluff. Call every day on the truck and get a meeeting with the dealership owner, GM, anyone! gotta keep pushin
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck!
Push to get a whole new complete rear axle housing ...all new from flange to flange

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
Good Luck!
Push to get a whole new complete rear axle housing ...all new from flange to flange

This will be the likely outcome anyway, given the slew of issues others have had with the differentials.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Hummer Guru

I can only hope. I didn't get the 'promised' call back from GM/Hummer this morning. Sooo, I called back and left a message. The woman called me back an hour later apologizing, but that she was told she had to speak to the service writer who was handling the paperwork for my H3... so she wanted to wait before calling me back. I told her the the service writer only typed up what the service mgr had told her to input into the computer and didn't know the story. Longer story somewhat shorter .. she asked if I had wanted to 'escalate' my issue to the next step. I said "Absolutely!" I told her what I REALLY want while the 3 is at the dealer having the hood+ painted is to have a Hummer rep go and check out my problem. The service mgr at the dealer had already told me yesterday that as far as they are concerned, the grind is normal and that's that. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:09 AM
Steve - SanJose

Good luck with this one.

S.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Good luck with this one.

S.

x2
Old 07-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Hummer Guru

Thanks for the support. Got another call from GM/Hummer 2 hours ago. They spoke to the dealer Serv. Mgr. He said he test drove a new 2006 H3 and another H3 in for servicing - both made the grind sound in the rear. I'm so frustrated and not in the mood for all of this stuff. GM/Hummer said the Regional Hummer Rep will be contacting me by the end of the week. I think I should be getting back my 3 in a couple of days after the painting. I was also thinking about all of the OnStar and XM time I had pre-paid for on my 3 and not being able to use. My loaner doesn't have either. <grrrrrrrrrrrrr>
Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
He said he test drove a new 2006 H3 and another H3 in for servicing - both made the grind sound in the rear.

Did you ever bother to test this yourself?

Old 07-13-2006, 02:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

I have driven a few 3's and never heard anything that I would call a grinding sound coming from the rear. The fact that a service guy would describe it as that, validates your complaint. Trade in on a 2??
Old 07-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Hummer Guru

I had driven two other 3's last week ...no grind sound. I have not returned to the dealer yet (I will when I get my 3 back), but WILL tell the Serv. Mgr. that I want to test drive a new H3 so that I can hear the grind he is talking about. My grind didn't begin until 9 months. Trade in my 3 for a 2? Not in the cards right now ... but is hopefully in long range plans.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Elcova Rookie

rangerross is off the scale

In an earlier post you had regarding this problem you indicated that the dealer had replaced the rear brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. You also stated that the sound was eliminated for approximately two weeks following the brake service. It sounds to me like the brake pads are developing a glaze which results in the noise you are describing. Have the dealer pull the pads and check for glazing on the surface. If glazing is found it is normally caused by excessive build up of heat. Several things can cause this, one of which could be a sticking caliper.

GM seams to be having a problem with brake pads. My wife drives a ?05 convertible Vette with the Z51 performance package. The brakes are so noisy that it is embarrassing to drive. Sounds like metal on metal. GM actually has a service bulletin stating the noise is normal for the high performance brakes used on the car and no fix is available.

As ShortBus suggested, trading the H3 for an H2 will eliminate the problem ? it did for me.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

gm brakes suck!