H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale
Default How many will be trading in their 5 cylinder H3's for an Alpha?

I bet at least 50 to 70% of H3 owners will want the Alpha. I also predict within 2 years the 5 cylinder will be dropped entirely.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many will be trading in their 5 cylinder H3's for an Alpha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM DUDE
I bet at least 50 to 70% of H3 owners will want the Alpha. I also predict within 2 years the 5 cylinder will be dropped entirely.

I think there'll be a disconnect between who will want one, and who will buy one. Seriously, if I'd had time and had already beat my H3, there's no way I'd buy a new one. The old one would be brush scratched, bottom pounded, modified. I'd keep it. The I5's not going anywhere, it's the GM way. They invested in that lineup, it's here to stay. There will be plenty of people that see the H3 and want one yet say the $40 that an Alpha costs is too much and that $26k is very doable.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM DUDE

Then you sir, are really not that smart. There is not a single vehicle product line that I can think of that doesn't have multiple engine options. The I5 is a good engine for the price, and the rumored $2k premium (above Lux even) puts this in the high 30's, low 40's sticker.

I'm not a marketing guy, but I'd guess the difference between low 30's and high 30's is a significant factor for many H3 buyers. I'd be willing to bet that <25% of all 2008 H3s are sold w/the V8 option because that option will put the H3's in a totally different price range. Many people will want the V8, but I'll bet a lot will settle for the I5.

I for one was absolutely gonna upgrade right away. Now, I'm thinking wait until the warranty is up (maybe one more year), then decide to trade up or maybe keep the H3 for the fiance and get myself a Wrangler (love open top vehicles).

We should all make predictions then come back to this thread middle of next year and see who's right
Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
I think there'll be a disconnect between who will want one, and who will buy one. Seriously, if I'd had time and had already beat my H3, there's no way I'd buy a new one. The old one would be brush scratched, bottom pounded, modified. I'd keep it. The I5's not going anywhere, it's the GM way. They invested in that lineup, it's here to stay. There will be plenty of people that see the H3 and want one yet say the $40 that an Alpha costs is too much and that $26k is very doable.

hmmm, looks like we were typing just about the same thing at the same time
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I forgot, I will have one.

Reasons:
1. I tow. I tow alot. The V8 makes this a no brainer. I sold my Dmax and bought an extra trailer so the H3 gets used all the time for towing. The extra 1500lb capacity is no small thing.

2. We have a Denali. If we didn't, simply driving the H3 with the I-5 would be no big deal. It's almost dangerous to drive the H3 after a week in the Denali. It takes a huge mental reset. Where you could pass, you can't. Where you could charge up an onramp in front of a semi, you can't. Where I could pass someone safely with room to spare in the mountains, I can't. It gets tiresome.

3. The mileage is no big hit. I took a 2mpg hit going from the worn down factory tires to the ATs. Some say they don't, I'm saying that it was a definite and drastic reduction in mileage. I can feel the hp it cost. I did NOT take off new factory tires though, they were down to the wear bars. I gotta think that the V8 won't be so sensitive to a tire change like that. We went from a 5.3 in our last Yukon, an SLT, to the Denali with the 6.0. The Denali gets BETTER mileage than our 5.3 did.

4. I gotta think that they're going to put the tow/haul mode on the 5.3 and the cylinder deactivation. I think the cylinder deactivation will be on it simply to aid in the mileage. With today's global Warming dead head pressure and the EPA, it's a probability to me.

5. Snow. The 5.3 will do better in deep snow. I live with this all winter long. With chains on, and deep snow, I've had the I5 pinned to the wall simply to keep forward motion.

6. Fun. So I'm a hot rodder. I like my machines to have grunt. While the I5 is perfectly capable, that's where it ends. There's no joy, no grin factor when it's flogged. The 5.3 Hummer won't ever be featured on Pinks but it will most certainly be more enjoyable than the I5. I never bothered with an aftermarket exhaust on the I5, I didn't see the point. I don't like loud exhaust, but I certainly enjoy one with authority and that muscle car heart. It's going into my buddy's custom exhaust shop the first month I own it. A nice, quiet, 3" Dynomax is going in. Great for low speed torque and gets out of the way on high rpm.

7. The front axle. The bane of the H3 if you get serious. No one knows for sure but it'll probably be front locker compatible. No one for sure knows about the steering components, but one would think that that may be addressed as well (GM, are you reading this?) No matter though, I'll upgrade it anyway.

I'd like to add though, that the UCP should be on the Alpha as a matter of fact. It should also have the shock and spring mount skids. Is that over their heads or something?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

NOT unless they make a Shadow Green color. Otherwise, I'm gonna wait for the H4.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Steve - SanJose

I won't be trading mine anytime soon. I already have vehicles in the garage that are much faster. I think the H3 Alpha is a nice engine upgrade but I don't see the need to trade my 2006.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummer3 is off the scale

I think once the prices are listed and comparisons are made to the H2 that several will buy the H2.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
I won't be trading mine anytime soon. I already have vehicles in the garage that are much faster. I think the H3 Alpha is a nice engine upgrade but I don't see the need to trade my 2006.

Keeping the 06 .
Might buy a H4 if MPG is good and keep the 3
And Ill take the 442 out when I get the need for speed .

For those who tow and want speed out of a tank the V8 will be a great option
Attached Images

H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

where did you guys see that they would offer it in the 40's? i want one so bad. maybe i can talk my gf into buying my h3 and i will buy the alpha! im getting an alpha anyways so whatever! i just want to have all the same stuff as my adv/lux and take off the stuff i got on my existing one and swap them to the new one. i just want to romp on the pedal and sound beefy. im not expecting speed but the added passing power will be great, if i want to go fast ill whip out the mighty gixxer
Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
I for one was absolutely gonna upgrade right away.

With that part anyway.

I started looking at the depreciation and the hit I would take just to upgrade to the Alpha right now. I have been trying to guesstimate what the real cost of upgrading would be. I suspect that the asking price for the Alpha will be more than what has been guessed at by smarter people than myself. I don't think it makes financial sense for me to do this immediately.

I bought a fully loaded 06 with adventure and lux packages, added even more dealer options, and then added aftermarket off road upgrades. The only time I complain about the power is when trying to pass semi's at over 70 mph. I towed a couple of big Harley's to Sturgis and Ouray, both over 75 mph, with the I-5. No problem.

I don't know what their gonna ask for the cast iron diff, but I'll probably spring for that alone. I have added 35's and the V8 would help with that, but it's doesn't look like those reasons put together are gonna make it worth the money I would have to spend for the V8.

My plan for now, is to drive and wheel the 3 I have. Then hope that the trendy blinger type folks trade in their old SUT's, so I can pick one up used at a good price! Never off roaded and in good shape, so that I can beat it senseless.

A Jeep fabricator here in Utah was telling my Jeep buddies that the H3's are gonna be huge out here on Utah trails in a few more years, after they come down in price a little, and the working folks can afford to get into and wheel them. Just like the Jeeps.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

No actual price, the 2K over lux is my guess on how it will be sold.
I believe, but again not sure (I'm not in marketing, advertising or finance), that there will be no adventure series with a V8. I believe this would be a BIG mistake, since a person could then get a V8 at around 35K. Ideal for those who don't want to purchase leather or all the other Lux goodies.
I don't believe there will be that many that jump in the overall H3 market. Remember, this forum is a very small percentage of actual H3 owners.
Personally, I may look at one next spring, but until then, I'm sticking with a proven workhorse. It has been very reliable, and so far, the only damn color I like except for Desert Orange and that is only on the Blink model till next year.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

no pure adventure alpha , i just want that new front diff housing
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure hope they offer the Adventure with a V-8 engine option (without the bling).

Plenty of Adventure owners tow trailers on and off road and would welcome the V8.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with both of you guys; a V8 adventure should be made available, and if not; Hummer marketing is blowing some sales down the street. If there is NO V8 adventure available, I will immediately put in a suggestion, all the way to the top. (In other words, bypass marketing and go for the big dog.)
Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
No actual price, the 2K over lux is my guess on how it will be sold.
I believe, but again not sure (I'm not in marketing, advertising or finance), that there will be no adventure series with a V8. I believe this would be a BIG mistake, since a person could then get a V8 at around 35K. Ideal for those who don't want to purchase leather or all the other Lux goodies.

F5, do me a favor and don't post stuff like that until we know for sure, I just about had a heart attack.

Non adventure H3???? Now what the hell kind of sense would that make?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

eugenebeauxbuton is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: How many will be trading in their 5 cylinder H3's for an Alpha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
F5, do me a favor and don't post stuff like that until we know for sure, I just about had a heart attack.

Non adventure H3???? Now what the hell kind of sense would that make?

i agree, please stop as it is a recurring theme throughout your posts
Hummer Owner (n.): a different type of person altogether. 2006 Black H3 with Luxury Package, Sunroof, Chrome Wheels, Chrome Appearance Package, Chrome Tubular Side Steps NO MORE, XM, Monsoon Sound System. SOON TO BE GETTING SOME TOYO 33'S AND DITCHING THE LAME 31'S!!!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebeauxbuton
i agree, please stop as it is a recurring theme throughout your posts

shut it n00b.....

Please don't be offended by my post, but really.....shut it.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

Field Scout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOCON1
no pure adventure alpha , i just want that new front diff housing
Don't want the bling package, and wouldn't take care of the leather. Funny story, my dealer called me today with questions about the H3 (what was due for '08 and what could be done aftermarket) since I always know more about them than they do thanks everyone here on the forum for keeping me informed
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

eugenebeauxbuton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
shut it n00b.....

Please don't be offended by my post, but really.....shut it.

I always knew you liked to start up trouble. i didnt mean to. I was simply giving my input and sought no lip for it.
Hummer Owner (n.): a different type of person altogether. 2006 Black H3 with Luxury Package, Sunroof, Chrome Wheels, Chrome Appearance Package, Chrome Tubular Side Steps NO MORE, XM, Monsoon Sound System. SOON TO BE GETTING SOME TOYO 33'S AND DITCHING THE LAME 31'S!!!!!