H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

OffRoadin is on a distinguished road
Default New with questions

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself... I'm new to both off roading and to Hummers. I purchased a 2005 H2 with the intentions of going off roading. I do have a few questions. Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions in one post...

1. How high (ground to fender) is the car supposed to be at all four corners. I heard that the front end is supposed to sit lower than the rear (stock). I'm wondering if the previous owner put on the leveling kit or "adjusted the torsion bars"? And if so how can I tell if the leveling kit or adjusting the torsion bars was done?
2. I plan on adding an HID kit. For those that have them, where do you mount the ballasts?
3. I've heard that stock, the H2 doesn't have enough power... Is the H2 really that underpowered? I plan on adding horsepower, but I know there's plenty of posts for me to read through on that.
4. I know this is a dumb question... But, I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn on the front fog lights. Is there a seperate switch.
5. I'm not a fan of chrome, but the H2 I purchased had the chrome package... How easy is it to change the mirror casings to standard?
6. What type of tires are recommend for what type of conditions? I'm learning everything from scratch. I have never owned anything but sports cars up till now.
7. Is a front locker essential... I kind of figure it depends on how "hardcore" I want to get, but for beginners is it a necessity?
8. Underbody protection... What stock parts can stay and what needs to be upgraded? Again I assume it depends on what I'm doing...
9. Do I really need a brush guard and taillight guards? I don't plan on going in the trees... Mostly rock crawling, sand dunes, and mud.
10. Other essentials? Tow straps, Shovel, Air compressor, etc?
11. I doubt it, but is there any way to make the car lighter? I figure since I'll be adding a roof rack, lights, under body protection, etc. I want to get rid of unwanted/uneeded weight from other areas. I already plan on taking off the rear tire carrier and took out the 3rd row seat already.

I think that's all the questions I have for now... Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New with questions

Welcome aboard

Your questions are very easy ones,
You should start by reading through the sub forums in the H2 forums and you will find alot of your answers there, click on somo.com for toys like air compressors, hi lift jacks etc... HID question you have, this was covered in technical discussions just 2 weeks ago with pictures from PTeam, all your answers are at your fingertips.

If after reading a bit you dont understand then ask the questions, you will learn on your own than somebody telling you.

Just a suggestion

Good luck and keep on postin

Hucky
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the quick response... I will look for PTeam's post.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34096
Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Hummer Professional

Just read alot and then you will become familiar with alot of different things and you will learn real quick, youll see.

There is alot of information in these posts, When you get stuck on something and just dont get it, one of the big dogs will give you a verbal hand.

Cheers

Huck
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Hummer Professional

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29901

Fog Lights? do you mean Daytime Running Lights, the small white round ones below the headlights? They come on automatically during the daytime for safety.

Power? Leave it as it is, or buy a sportscar. why waste money on something that is just gonna wear out?

Dont try to make the rig something it isnt, enjoy the thing especially if money is tight for you?

Huck

Last edited by Hucky : 10-17-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

For the lights, YES... those are the ones I am talking about.

And for power, I'm not looking to make this a 1/4 mile track monster, just planning on adding an intake, exhaust, and a chip maybe...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34096
Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadin
For the lights, YES... those are the ones I am talking about.

And for power, I'm not looking to make this a 1/4 mile track monster, just planning on adding an intake, exhaust, and a chip maybe...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26583

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30402

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30028

Daytime driving lights come on automatically, you can even use them with the alarm mode if you read your manual upon locking and unlocking your rig

Cheers
Old 10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at the Jet Stage 1 preprocessor (chip). I and others are very happy with it and it runs on regular unleaded. There is a stage 2 and 3 preprocessors, but they require mid-grade or premium unleaded.

Forget about the weight of the truck. It weighs a lot and always will.

Also, look at lightforce lights. They are the ticket for offroad lighting. They can also take a direct hit from a baseball bat or a 12 gauge shot gun! I've got 4 on the front of my rig...

As far as chrome, everybody seems to be blacking out their H2s. Be different enjoy the chrome!

Good Luck!
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

3. The H2 has plenty of power for offroading. From what ive seen the only way to really get more power is a supercharger and for dependability offroad its not an area i would venture into. More power=more brakeage. Some people have liked results of a programmer for day to day driving.
4. The front "fog lights" are drls.
5. You should always keep the chrome you were blessed with.
6. For rock crawling the stockers actually peform well for what they are. Many people run Toyo m/ts and like them or perhaps a dedicated offroad set of tires would be nice(37in iroks or ssr's).
7. Not essential...i dont have one and have never wheeled with anyone that does have one and the 2's perform well for what they are. That being said, i would like to have one but i would invest on a winch first.
8. Stock works, but you have to bend it back after trips as it will be smashed in--but it does work.
9. Nope.
10. A recovery kit and tools for the trail will be a good start but fabtech HD tie rods are NECESSARY! You can always buy power tanks etc, but to get on the trail i dont think it is necessary.
11. Not sure, dont think so.

All of this is based on my wheeling experience which is east coast rock crawling....never been in mud and i stay away from sand.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Hummer Professional

dkhummerh2 is on a distinguished road

My only advice would be stay out of the mud and sand as stated above. It is boring anyways, on hard surfaces you will love the entry and exit angles and the breakover points. This is where I have found my most enjoyment out of my H2. I would chip it, slap an intake and exhaust on it, Swap out the tires maybe. I am running an air rade intake, whippler supercharger, corsa exhaust and just got a warn winch. I wouldn't recommend the supercharger, but everything else I have is great.
dk