H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by DennisAJC:
SWEEEEET!!!!

Did you lose any clearance? What was added weight total? How hard is it when trail repair is required? Are the bolts upgraded to prevent weight shearing/stripping? Does the weight have any adverse affects on the air suspension and or other parts? Will this in any way affect warranty? How much?

Probably lost a 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance in the center section. The weight went from a combined 45 lbs (skid/midrail) to just over 200 lbs. As I think about it, this might actually lower the center of gravity a touch. The midrails bolt on through existing holes in the frame with nuts so stripping is not an issue. I bought bunch of grade 8 bolts as spares, just in case. Tapped out the skid to 12mm bolts (I think). Also have the option to bolt it it thru the frame in a couple of places. Warranty is gone.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by DRTYFN:
And when you have to drill and modify the frame have you considered the possibility of creating a point for a stress fracture? Where do the holes need to be drilled?

No drilling on the midrails, use existing holes which are in the frame. I have no idea why the holes are there, but Neil put them to use.

Stress point? Drilling out a 3/8 inch hole to a 12mm - that's nothing.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by CO Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
SWEEEEET!!!!

Did you lose any clearance? What was added weight total? How hard is it when trail repair is required? Are the bolts upgraded to prevent weight shearing/stripping? Does the weight have any adverse affects on the air suspension and or other parts? Will this in any way affect warranty? How much?

Probably lost a 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance in the center section. The weight went from a combined 45 lbs (skid/midrail) to just over 200 lbs. As I think about it, this might actually lower the center of gravity a touch. The midrails bolt on through existing holes in the frame with nuts so stripping is not an issue. I bought bunch of grade 8 bolts as spares, just in case. Tapped out the skid to 12mm bolts (I think). Also have the option to bolt it it thru the frame in a couple of places. Warranty is gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe some type of plow bolts would work well also. Since they have a flush or rounded head they would be less likely to drag on a rock and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting beat up and not being able to put a wrench back on them.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
And when you have to drill and modify the frame have you considered the possibility of creating a point for a stress fracture? Where do the holes need to be drilled?

No drilling on the midrails, use existing holes which are in the frame. I have no idea why the holes are there, but Neil put them to use.

Stress point? Drilling out a 3/8 inch hole to a 12mm - that's nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually putting a round hole in a frame is fine, you don't develop stress fractures off of round holes.

It's the same theory of taking a large girder and putting holes thoughout, it lessens the overall weight but doesn't lessen the strength.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Maybe some type of plow bolts would work well also. Since they have a flush or rounded head they would be less likely to drag on a rock and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting beat up and not being able to put a wrench back on them.

Maybe you should come to Moab and be my pit crew chief!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2Oguy is off the scale

Alan got most of it all right but just to clarify.

Ground clearance lost is 1/2".

Difference in weight from factory is is about 150 lbs.

I am not sure how you would go about repairing the rocks that will be damaged by the impact from the front skid. Seriously the only additional difficulty is dealing with the additional weight. Other than that it is removed and put on very simlilar to the factory.

Yes the bolts will be upgraded and recommmended that small modifications are made to the H2 due to the weak mounting holes.

The additional weight is nothing to the H2. The H2 is equal to a 3/4 ton vehicle so it will not have any problem handling the additional weight of the Underbody Protection.

Warranty is not effected. There have been no mechanical changes made whatsoever. There are not even any additional holes that have to be drilled. The only mod that is suggested is drilling out and upsizing existing factory holes.

Still working on the final details of the pricing.

All the bolts are concealed or protected in some fashion. So damaged to a bolt is low in probability.

No worries about additional stress points, as stated by paragon round holes do not create them, and we are not adding any holes just making existing ones slightly larger.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by H2Oguy:
Alan got most of it all right

That's a first.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

Neil,

I was referring to that Midrail bolts picture. A lot of times you have a tendency to put your tires on a rock and then slide the frame rails and rockers down the rock and it might beat up that bolt head.

Obviously, we all are just going by pictures and whatnot but you wouldn't be taking that part off and on very much anyway, hopefully. Unless you're Ken or Adam.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Neil,

I was referring to that Midrail bolts picture. A lot of times you have a tendency to put your tires on a rock and then slide the frame rails and rockers down the rock and it might beat up that bolt head.

Obviously, we all are just going by pictures and whatnot but you wouldn't be taking that part off and on very much anyway, hopefully. Unless you're Ken or Adam.

Para,
Are you talking about these front bolts?
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

finbox is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great....but it's hard to find any rocks in Florida.

Maybe it could be sprayed with teflon so I can slide though the mud and sand better!

All those pics from Moab, Damn I want to go!!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Neil,

Para,
Are you talking about these front bolts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nah, those look protected. I was only referring to the REAR ones in this pic

or any other bolt heads that might be exposed
Old 03-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing stopping you, it's just time and gas. The Elcova Moab group will be pretty easy to find even if you know nothing about Moab. Simply pull into the parking lot of the Gonzo anytime after 6pm on any given evening and try not to hit any of the drunks. ahh-um I mean your fine fellow H2'ers

Maybe it could be sprayed with teflon so I can slide though the mud and sand better!

All those pics from Moab, Damn I want to go!!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure if I like it. Please post detailed C.A.D. drawings.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
I'm not sure if I like it. Please post detailed C.A.D. drawings.
x2
Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Alec W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
or any other bolt heads that might be exposed
Para, I beta tested this last time in Moab and the bolts are still there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was just offering a little option. If it was you or me, it wouldn't matter anyway because we wouldn't be taking it back off.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

how do you change your oil??????
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by Albie:

That was my main concern. You don't want to be taking off a 90+ lb skid plate all the time, not to mention stripping out bolts, etc. But it's not a problem. There's sufficient access right thru the midrails to get at the filter and drain plug.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albie:

That was my main concern. You don't want to be taking off a 90+ lb skid plate all the time, not to mention stripping out bolts, etc. But it's not a problem. There's sufficient access right thru the midrails to get at the filter and drain plug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So in other words Shaggy is going to be changing your oil?

My Video Collectionez