H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust,intake,throttle body spacer

I have looked at a lot of high dollar bolton stuff online. In the process of deciding and not having picked out a muff, I just took off the stock one, used part of a 180 mandral formed piece and poof. Straight back turn down about the same heighth as it was on the other side protected by the spring shackle.
Idles with just a little Hum, not loud in cabin at 65, a little Hum at 65 pulling boat, (it is a Hummer) but stomp it and it talks! Seat of pants dyno says, oh yeah, if a Magna flow is low resistance go figure no muff resistance. Figure HP gains with any muff and then no muff. Dyno results in about a week. Kept Cat and res which must be like an old Cherry Bomb glass pack to be this quite with no muff.
Im working "with" a local manufacturer of throttle bodies and air intakes. I just happened to be the first H3 to drop by. Tuesday we are going to try a Colorado throttle body and make any mods on the CNC. Then fab up an air intake. Dyno for results of HP, torque and then do some MPG. Results on a Colorado were 10HP and 6 FTLBS 1 to two MPG. We will see. Pics to follow also.
I tried to be brief! Now if I could put a fuel cell in that hole for more range........
Attached Images

Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale
Default Re: Exhaust,intake,throttle body spacer

Its great seeing people out there getting their hands dirty! I had my muffler and resinator cut off. Had a flowmaster 40-series with two turn downs welded in where the resinator use to be. I love the sound and performance of it. I plan on putting a Y-pipe right before the muffler so I can have an open exhaust for wheelin when I need it. I love trying new things and give props to the people that do too!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress!!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Hummer Professional

I got the true flow air intake installed today. I will drive with the open exhaust and this intake until Tuesday. Im supposed to get on the dyno then and compare the other mods.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Hummer Professional

oops dropped the photo! Im still grinnin from the exhaust so its hard to describe the intake. Seat of pants dyno feels more responsive throttle and more acceleration. Im noticing a little lower rpms at 65 mph. Hmmmmm
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

smh3 is off the scale

question, how did the throttle body spacer do? Have you thought about a commputer tune yet? I have also felt the same from my true flow.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale

What all comes in the true flow kit?? How much does it run?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Tuesday Sept 26 is when I go in to try the Colorado plate or make one. I will let you know then but they expect it to perform as stated in my previous post about the same as the truck. However with my other mods it might do better. They want to prove to me its not hype. I am a photographer and Im documenting their procedures for them.
This is the best site for info on the true flow but I found it at Carolina Trucks for $205. I could have made one but it would take some time and I was lazy. I have a Cummins so already new about the boots. I had everything but the little vinyl tip to block off that hose you dont use on the Hummer. The kit is for the Colorado that apparently does use it. I found a package of 4 at Lowes for $.92.

http://www.premierhummer.com/hummer-...ow-intake.html
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Hummer Professional

Computer mods are still in the beta mode right now. I found one laptop program but its $500. These guys use it for R&D. I will do some more checking.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
Computer mods are still in the beta mode right now. I found one laptop program but its $500. These guys use it for R&D. I will do some more checking.

PCMforless.com is doing a tune now for $199

If you want the exhaust open you need to get rid of the crushed piping in the downpipe, before and after the cat. And the intake, the part that is restrictive is the pipe that goes into the wheel well, its like 1.25-1.5" , freakin terrible. With everything opened up, the H3 does have more punch, its just the AWD system saps A LOT of power. I've heard its like a 39% driveline loss from crank to wheels.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road

I had a True Flow installed last month. Nice improvement and good pick up. I had the muffler replaced with a True-Flow. I took off the resistor, however, at 65 the steady hum from the exhaust started to give me a headache after about 30 minutes. I had another resistor put back on. Now it all works fine.
I noticed the True-Flow did lower my RPM's. I am at 2000 at 60 MPH. And punch....nice to keep up with a BMW. They backed off when I hit the turn signal.
2006 Slate Blue Metallic H3, FlowMaster exhaust, True Flow cold air intake system, Ground Force rear lowering kit, custom locking fuel door, chrome hood grill w/handle, US Speedo gauge kit (chrome and red numbers), Custom rear tire cover, chrome tail light guard, custom paint on skid plate, new pin stripping, USMC front license plate. Semper Fi
Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Hummer Professional

Im aware of the "fresh air" thru the fender idea. Back in 95 the same company that is working on the air intake now made the one under the hood for my Cummins but after boosting everything else I added the scoop and the hole in the firewall at the base of the windshield high pressure area.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 09-22-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Hummer Professional

It worked! Boosting 40psi it needs air! 300hp and 600ftlbs. I kept it down for towing. How would you ever control that in a Hummer?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 09-22-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Hummer Professional

Here is a mock up. Im going to have to use a smaller scoop, maybe! I used a piece of an old grill on the truck scoop. H3 will need a mesh screen of some sort to filter out bugs, or not. Water will drop out in the box if it makes it that far or can insert a plug for really wet weather if it scares me. It should drop in the gap between the scoop and inner fender. It does on the truck.
I only have 3400 miles on the H3 I cant quite get up the nerve to cut a hole yet. I found that painting the scoop with matching paint made it last a lot longer. Just another crazy idea. I mean if you want outside air this will work. I will post pictures of what they make for my H3 Tuesday. They are probably going to make it an open shield type. Their idea is more air is better even if some of it is engine heated. The air under there should exchange at a good rate so we will see. I like the idea of the stock box for offroad. Just need to open up the thru the fender snoot. Im working on that whether I use the scoop or not.
On the Dodge Ram it was Ramair I guess this would be Humair? Now if we could actually use the fake air intake..............
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 09-22-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

LOOKS INTERESTING. Have you considered warrentee implications. For your intake ram. Have you though about runing a 3" flex tube up from your existing starboard bumper hole routed up thru wheelhouse into a cutout.
This would be less intrusive and also removeable when going in for service...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBlue
PCMforless.com is doing a tune now for $199

If you want the exhaust open you need to get rid of the crushed piping in the downpipe, before and after the cat. And the intake, the part that is restrictive is the pipe that goes into the wheel well, its like 1.25-1.5" , freakin terrible. With everything opened up, the H3 does have more punch, its just the AWD system saps A LOT of power. I've heard its like a 39% driveline loss from crank to wheels.

"normal" ratings are usually quoted at the flywheel or crank however you want to say it before the tranny, take away about 25% at rear wheels with an auto. So if your figure is right its taking a little more.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
LOOKS INTERESTING. Have you considered warrentee implications. For your intake ram. Have you though about runing a 3" flex tube up from your existing starboard bumper hole routed up thru wheelhouse into a cutout.
This would be less intrusive and also removeable when going in for service...

If the air intake mods dont affect warranty why should they care if I cut a hole in the flare? If I have a wreck and damage the flare it does not void the warranty. I have considered the options and may try to get more air under the fender but the hole needs to be bigger going into the inner fender so they would see that anyway. My dealer installs intakes and throttle bodies and cranks up torsion bars and none of that effects warranty. Corrugated flex hose is really restrictive. Smoothe bore is best. I dont think in the wheel well would be good too much mud and gunk flys around in there but maybe somewhere up front. I think I will go wheelin tomorrow and think about it.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Quote:
If the air intake mods dont affect warranty why should they care if I cut a hole in the flare? If I have a wreck and damage the flare it does not void the warranty. I have considered the options and may try to get more air under the fender but the hole needs to be bigger going into the inner fender so they would see that anyway. My dealer installs intakes and throttle bodies and cranks up torsion bars and none of that effects warranty. Corrugated flex hose is really restrictive. Smoothe bore is best. I dont think in the wheel well would be good too much mud and gunk flys around in there but maybe somewhere up front. I think I will go wheelin tomorrow and think about it.

I think wpage is saying to run a pipe directly from your your passinger duct (right below your turn signal) into the fender area. This would flood this volume with cooler air.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here is a mock up. Im going to have to use a smaller scoop, maybe! I used a piece of an old grill on the truck scoop. H3 will need a mesh screen of some sort to filter out bugs, or not. Water will drop out in the box if it makes it that far or can insert a plug for really wet weather if it scares me. It should drop in the gap between the scoop and inner fender. It does on the truck.
I only have 3400 miles on the H3 I cant quite get up the nerve to cut a hole yet. I found that painting the scoop with matching paint made it last a lot longer. Just another crazy idea. I mean if you want outside air this will work. I will post pictures of what they make for my H3 Tuesday. They are probably going to make it an open shield type. Their idea is more air is better even if some of it is engine heated. The air under there should exchange at a good rate so we will see. I like the idea of the stock box for offroad. Just need to open up the thru the fender snoot. Im working on that whether I use the scoop or not.
On the Dodge Ram it was Ramair I guess this would be Humair? Now if we could actually use the fake air intake..............
Where you show your mock up. Is where your stock cold air intake is located in the fender wall. Look from inside your engine compartment. In the air handler there is a 2.5" opening that leads to a air conditioning type filter that connects to a air plenum (chamber) between fender and wheel housing.
If you cut in at that point you may want to 1st pull off your fender to be certain to enter where you should. Otherwise you may miss your mark and have issues...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Where you show your mock up. Is where your stock cold air intake is located in the fender wall. Look from inside your engine compartment. In the air handler there is a 2.5" opening that leads to a air conditioning type filter that connects to a air plenum (chamber) between fender and wheel housing.
If you cut in at that point you may want to 1st pull off your fender to be certain to enter where you should. Otherwise you may miss your mark and have issues...

That is the "hole" idea!
On the truck I just put a pilot hole from the inside in line with the inner fender hole. I do think a hidden intake could work. There of course could be issues of submerging it which I dont plan to do. Im going to have to pull the inner wheel well liner to get in there and see how. A snorkle of some sort would work as well but Im not sure how it would look and the issues of the length of it.
I ordered some flares that came with metal/plastic push fasteners to replace the one time use ones on there now. Im going to see if they will send me some extras.
Thanks for all the input. I really enjoy the chance to discuss the H3 with other owners. This seems to be a popular subject.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Hummer Professional

If you have not had this apart here is the "snorkle" end that goes into the inner fender. I stuck my hand down in the fender and all I felt was the back of the park/turn signal lamp. There ya go just take out the light and you got air! Trying to come up from the hole in the front cowl would be tough for clearance reasons and dirty wet air down that low. I really dont see how the air was getting in there except for a few small stamped holes and gaps. They had a foam seal like for what? Maybe the obvious to keep out some heated air but everything in there is heated. Im sure some engineer had a plan. I took off the snorkle just for grins because I want the stock lid on the box. It really muffels the sound back down to acceptable.
Attached Images