H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 06-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default What model H1 to get?

If I were to get an H1, what model do you guys suggest? I know it has to be at least 97.5 and newer. But is it best to get the newest year affordable, or are there years that are better choices?

Obviously, a 2006 blows away the earlier models, and the 2004 has the front and rear e-lockers available, and the nicer interior. The 2003 has a rear e-locker available, and I guess before that, they were not an option. How important are the e-lockers? Will they need to be added to models that don't have them? I know NoMo added a front and rear to his 1999, but that has a different version of TT4.

I think I will start off somewhere not too expensive and then build up to a better model year, just to make it all that more special.

Last edited by Aubs : 06-18-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default Re: What model H1 to get?

Reading around, maybe the 2002 is the safest year for purchase since it is beyond the possible inclusion of the GM made Turbos that are at risk for the cracked cylinder. I would not want to have to replace that!! 13K is I suppose a very good estimate, maybe an underestimate. Most 2002's seem to be priced about that much above the earlier models...
Old 06-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Hummer Professional

BACKNBLACK is off the scale

Aubs I have owned 2 H1's and the 2003 is what you want at the very least. Why? 2 Words (Eaton Lockers) . This was a change from the Detroit Lockers on the Previous model H1'S. In addition in Late 2001 the started to make the engine in another plant eliminating most pre-2001 8 cylinder crack. Please take a look at this link for H1 model year changes.

http://www.lynchhummer.com/changes/h...ges.index.html

2003 H1 Powertrain and Identification Information.
  • VIN 10th Digit designating year = "3"
  • Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel 195 H.P. 430 lb. ft. VIN 4th digit ="F"
  • 4L80E Electronic 4 speed Automatic Transmission. VIN 5th digit ="A"
  • Top Speed 83+ mph.
  • Approximately 477 '03 models built, 112 of which built specifically for the U.S. Border Patrol.
  • New Radio face for Monsoon Stereo.
  • Available Electromagnetic Locking Rear Differential.
  • Available Factory Heated Leather Seats.
  • Heavy Duty Brushguard Standard.
  • New Color- Summit Silver.
  • New Color- Black Diamond.
  • New Interior Air Conditioning Ducts.
  • 12 Scheduled Maintenance Services During First 36 Months Free.
Number# 11 2007 H3x Desert Orange

SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTON
1995 H1 350 HT GAS Black
2001 H1 Open Top Black
2004 H2 SUV Yellow
2004 H2 SUV Black
2005 H2 SUT Black
2006 H3 ADV Black
2006 H3 ADV RED
2007 H3x Desert Orange
2008 H2 Black/Sedona
2009 H3T Alpha Solar Flare

Last edited by BACKNBLACK : 06-19-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Thanks for the info. So probably the 2004 would be my ideal year. It's got the interior that I like, and it's got the front locker.

The benefit to the 2003 model, however, is the fact that the interior is probably easier to repair because I imagine there will be more parts available. Though being what look like H3 seats, that part should be easy to swap out.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

Lockers can be put in any truck, regardless of year. So don't limit your thinking because of something that can be purchased at several places for about $1700 a diff (and that's the whole diff, so you can keep the stock ones as spares...or return the stock ones and get back $300 to $400 each). And for what it's worth, I've been wheeling for 2 years in my 97.5 and I've gone everywhere with btm the locked trucks have gone. To ease the stress on the t-case from btm'ing, I recently put a detroit in the rear. So far it's pretty point and shoot.

Just do us all a favor...if you actually get an Hummer, wheel it. Don't just drive around town like a poser. A dirty hummer is a happy hummer.

The 97.5 I got was really nice (almost too nice) when I bought it...in hind sight, I would've bought an older truck and upgraded all the half shafts/balljoints/etc so I didn't feel too guilty beating it up on the trails.

Ron B
Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Hummer Professional

BACKNBLACK is off the scale

My last advice is the most important!!! GET A WARRANTY or at least have a friend who can work on Hummers. Anything H1 related is a nightare on the cost scale PM me for more information if you need it. I also own the Hummer Club of Rochester so Hummer information is plentiful.
www.hummercor.com
Number# 11 2007 H3x Desert Orange

SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTON
1995 H1 350 HT GAS Black
2001 H1 Open Top Black
2004 H2 SUV Yellow
2004 H2 SUV Black
2005 H2 SUT Black
2006 H3 ADV Black
2006 H3 ADV RED
2007 H3x Desert Orange
2008 H2 Black/Sedona
2009 H3T Alpha Solar Flare
Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB
Just do us all a favor...if you actually get an Hummer, wheel it. Don't just drive around town like a poser. A dirty hummer is a happy hummer.

Ron B

This H1 would probably be used and abused, both as a trail rig and a daily driver. So no worries there. I have been using my H2 a lot lately, and actually, with frequent waxing, the scratches fade, and you can't even tell it was in the woods. Obviously, I'd try to keep it in nice shape, because there are only so many to choose from...
Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats your price range Aubs? The 97.5 trucks are great as are the 98's. You just need to make sure that is has a new engine and has not been beat to hell. From there you are entering TT4 territory, as a 97.5 owner I am obligated to tell you not to buy one. If I were you I would buy the newest truck you can, and like someone else said, a warrenty would be great if you can fine one. The 04 would be a great truck, but IMO the cost of an 04 just does not justify a fancy new interior, to each there own though.

-007=
Old 06-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
Whats your price range Aubs? The 97.5 trucks are great as are the 98's. You just need to make sure that is has a new engine and has not been beat to hell. From there you are entering TT4 territory, as a 97.5 owner I am obligated to tell you not to buy one. If I were you I would buy the newest truck you can, and like someone else said, a warrenty would be great if you can fine one. The 04 would be a great truck, but IMO the cost of an 04 just does not justify a fancy new interior, to each there own though.

I think I can handle up to the mid-$40,000's.

What I worry about most is the engine issue in the 97.5 through the 01. That would SUCK if the engine pooped out. But finding one with a replacement engine is what I'd have to do. I don't know how easy that is. These are hard to find to begin with.

98's seem to be less common than the other models (probably because of the last year for Torsen II I'm guessing).

As far as a warranty, and a loan for that matter, something over 5 years old might be hard/expensive to warranty, and from what I've read, chances of financing are slim. As an example from the Exotic Warranty Co. (which no longer exists):

Example prices (as of June 2004)
2001 Hummer / H1 (end of factory warranty)
3yr/unlimited miles, $100 deductible: $7250
So I figure at least 10K on a warranty for anything older.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked out Gadget's truck? He has a 98 soft top that has had EVERYTHING replaced, including the engine, and the rest of the driveline for that matter. His price is within your range, and guess what else it has??? A tan interior! Seriously, PM Gadget. You'll find his posts in this section.

-007=
Old 06-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Aubs.....here is one i have been tracking on ebay. It is on east coast in MD (Annapolis). 2001 with several upgrades, 49k miles and a 100k mile warranty. Buy it now is $48k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-H1-H1Hummer-Extras-FULL-Bump2Bump-100-000-mile-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQitemZ465 1347198QQrdZ1

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

NewHummerGuy, that looks like a really nice and clean truck -- but beware of H1's with blingy aftermarket rims. The ones pictured are the wrong backspacing (I think every inch outboard puts an extra 1000 lbs or more on the geared hub spindle) and may not be the correct weight rating. Maybe they are "ok" for driving around on the street, but I wouldn't trust them offroad.

on the otherhand, if you don't care and like the truck -- steel wheels are easily to come by and great to have as an offroad set (fairly cheap too). I'd still be concerned about the geared hubs.

Ron B
Old 06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHummerGuy
Aubs.....here is one i have been tracking on ebay. It is on east coast in MD (Annapolis). 2001 with several upgrades, 49k miles and a 100k mile warranty. Buy it now is $48k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hummer-H1-H1-H1Hummer-Extras-FULL-Bump2Bump-100-000-mile-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ5360QQitemZ465 1347198QQrdZ1

That's a nice one. Especially because it doesn't have all the frivolous DVD screens and crap. But yes, those rims... Those pretty much mean that you'd have to add CTIS I suppose.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

What do you guys think of buying through an auction, someplace like Manheim? I know these things are expensive any way you go about it, but I could probably get one there through a friend. Manheim is usually pretty safe... but unfortunately, I'm out here in CO, and the guy buying it would have no idea about things like the rims, options packages, etc. I would love to sell my H2 at private party value and pick up an H1 close to wholesale.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB
NewHummerGuy, that looks like a really nice and clean truck -- but beware of H1's with blingy aftermarket rims. The ones pictured are the wrong backspacing (I think every inch outboard puts an extra 1000 lbs or more on the geared hub spindle) and may not be the correct weight rating. Maybe they are "ok" for driving around on the street, but I wouldn't trust them offroad.

on the otherhand, if you don't care and like the truck -- steel wheels are easily to come by and great to have as an offroad set (fairly cheap too). I'd still be concerned about the geared hubs.

Ron B

Understood and thanks RonB. But i aint buying one. I just follow Hummers on ebay for fun (sad, yes i know )...This one just seemed very clean and with the warranty a good deal. I am perfectly content with me H2 plus the wife would certainly have a conniption fit was i to try and talk her into an H1. H2 is perfect for me

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 06-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHummerGuy
Understood and thanks RonB. But i aint buying one. I just follow Hummers on ebay for fun (sad, yes i know )...This one just seemed very clean and with the warranty a good deal. I am perfectly content with me H2 plus the wife would certainly have a conniption fit was i to try and talk her into an H1. H2 is perfect for me

Oh come on! It's 'the thing' to do now! Everybody's getting one. I guess if you don't have a wife the descion becomes much, much easier...

I think I'll be very happy with an H1 coming from my H2. I don't really care about a smooth ride, or the lack of leather, heated seats, etc. As long as I can:
1. Crank up the radio
2. Rule supreme off-road
3. Keep it clean and nice (meaning, it's that way when I get it)

then I think I will be most happy. I hate a dirty/smelly interior. My H2 is usually spotless, inside and out, except right now I've been a bit lazy... But aside from wear on the drivers seat, some scratches, and a door ding, you probably wouldn't know mine's getting closer to being two years old with 50K. One thing that bugs me about most H1's: they're filthy inside.