H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 AM

fast_ed is off the scale

I have really been trying to get a good idea what year has got the best track record over all. It seems most have had there problems as any truck would. I would like to know if any stand out as problem years to stay away from. Also, I here alot about maintanace. Are they really that much work to keep running? I do most of the work on my current vehicles but know very little about H1's maint. schedules. Also this will be my first diesel. Anyway, I would appreciate any help or advice. Also,how do I sell my wife on a diesel? She hates them...at least when we are behind one.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 AM

fast_ed is off the scale

I have really been trying to get a good idea what year has got the best track record over all. It seems most have had there problems as any truck would. I would like to know if any stand out as problem years to stay away from. Also, I here alot about maintanace. Are they really that much work to keep running? I do most of the work on my current vehicles but know very little about H1's maint. schedules. Also this will be my first diesel. Anyway, I would appreciate any help or advice. Also,how do I sell my wife on a diesel? She hates them...at least when we are behind one.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

JnStitz is off the scale

To put it simply, If you want an H1...you have to love it enough to put up with all that it entails. Not only will it require constant mantenience, and random things going wrong...but its bumpy, loud, and uncomfortable for the most part. But, I swear by mine and wouldn't drive anything else. Others swear at them... If you can do your own work on it, you will save quite a bit, its well worth it to pay a H1 tech to teach you the basics, or try and get into some of AM Generals classes. (Not sure if they still allow just anyone in, they used to) The best year of the older models is said to be the 97.5, this is because it has the upgraded A/C unit which actually blows cold air. Anything before that and you will probably be in a NA diesel engine, as well as a host of the older kinks that weren't quite worked out yet. However if you have the money I would highly suggest going with a Alpha, the duramax is amazing...Or, go with a 2004, just for the new style interior.

Hopefully some of that helps...

-Jon
Old 09-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

loaded question with a ton of possible correct answers. What do you plan to do with the H1? street only, lots of off-roading, mix, etc. This has a big part of what the answer may be. 97.5 in addition to the upgraded air also does not have all the traction control/ABS stuff the newer models have. This can be a benefit for offroading or a negative for street use. 2003's and up have locking diff which has big benefits as well. If your very handy with mechanics most of the normal maintenance can be handled and the truck is realitively easy to work on (for the routine stuff), however a warranty is still probably a great idea as parts can get VERY expensive.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 09-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Hear is a great resource for educating yourself of buying a used truck.
http://www.amghummer.com/features/bu...uyingUsed.html
I never used it as I have wanted one since 92 and waited/learned for 10 years before I got one.

Comfort level is all relative. When I was growing up I was always in a sedan. My parents always had a cadillac and for me it was really uncomfortable. I will always choose my truck over any other vehicle. Although driving our company International 20ft long stake body can be fun at times

Doing your own maintenance is really not that big of a deal. Some of the more complicated stuff I let the dealer handle but regular fluid maintenance/inspections is rather easy and fun but can be time consuming.

Pick up the maintenance CD at http://www.bluehummer.com as well as the Factory maintenance manual. It really helps you out and explains everything really well. Also people are your best resources. Someone has always had an issue that is willing to help you through the situation.

I starting learning a lot of it way before I even bought a truck. I have also never changed oil or serviced another vehicle before my truck so you are a head of me.

Where are you from.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:51 PM

fast_ed is off the scale

Thanks for the info. I basicly will be using it as a replacement for my Chevy 2001 HD Crew Cab 4x4 Pickup. I realize that there are trade offs especially in speed. I now have the 8.1 with the Allison and tow heavy loads occasionally. I drive on and offroad,(50/50).I wish I could justify spending $125K on an Alpha but really looking in the $50k range. The slantback is kinda what I was wanting too. As far as locating one in AZ it has not been to easy.I have been looking on line and really would not mind driving if I knew it was a good buy. That is why I am here. It is great to see such a large following of Hummer owners and thanks again for the info.

Ed