H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

aflax24 is on a distinguished road
Default Warranty dont cover T-Bar Crank

Went to the dealer b/c I have som popping in vicinity of my torsion bars...Dealer said since I cranked the T-Bars that the warranty will not cover front end problems. AWESOME. Anyone else have this problem.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Warranty dont cover T-Bar Crank

What Dealer?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

What front end problems? Are you saying the dealer won't cover a shock, steering gear, etc., or just a condition that could have been caused by the cranking of the torsion bar?
If I were a dealer, and you came in with a front end noise, and the front had been cranked up, I would inform you that if the repair is due to your cranking the rod, you would pay. If caused by a warrantied item. GM will pay.

Let's face reality. GM, or any other manufacturer, warranties the vehicle as it is when it leaves the factory, for what the vehicle is designed to do when driven. If you perform any modifications to the vehicle, that might cause a secondary problem, then why should GM pays for the repair! However, due to some Federal Regs, one of which is the M/M act, GM would have to prove the modification caused the problem.

If you off-road a Corvette, GM won't pay for an axle damaged due to crawling rocks, if you off-road a H3, GM better pay for a blown axle...get the idea.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

algy is on a distinguished road

It?s time for GM to man up!

I think GM has superbly marketed their line of SUVs and has burned quite an impression into the market that Hummer is a superior, rugged and capable off-road vehicle. When you compare the clientele of Hummer buyers to luxury vehicle buyers, there should be a high expectation that the vehicle will be used for more than grocery transport and Saturday night debauchery with the lady types.

If aflax24 needs to crank his T-bars so he can successfully run core samples of the Earth to scientist in Antarctica, there should be a level of professional understanding by GM to do what it takes to keep his truck running.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by algy

I think GM has superbly marketed their line of SUVs and has burned quite an impression into the market that Hummer is a superior, rugged and capable off-road vehicle. When you compare the clientele of Hummer buyers to luxury vehicle buyers, there should be a high expectation that the vehicle will be used for more than grocery transport and Saturday night debauchery with the lady types.

If aflax24 needs to crank his T-bars so he can successfully run core samples of the Earth to scientist in Antarctica, there should be a level of professional understanding by GM to do what it takes to keep his truck running.

I agree
Old 06-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Come out come out bro... lot of people here can help and that is bull. call hummer customer service and start a ticket. then ask for in writing the refusal to repair or check for the problem. Then talk to the service Mgr. and GM. Then hummer. If that doesn't work call another dealer that might want you biz. All else fails call the state AG and start a file taht they will have to answer.

Come on let's go
Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

The day soemthing like that happens i trade it in on another brand.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

Well, why stop there. Let's say he can twin turbo the five cylinder, do a complete power kit to the trans, smaller torque converter; damn the thought that GM only tested the vehicle the way it left the factory. Those GD supplies have to get there right away.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
The day soemthing like that happens i trade it in on another brand.

If you are referring to my post...I guess it is time to sell. I agree maybe the dealer should first explain what happens if it is due to the cranking of the rods, but if the noise is due to the cranking of the rods, exactly how do you expect the dealer to repair? Will the dealer install an aftermarket item to prevent the noise, should they spend hundreds to invent something, should they pray over it?
Sorry, the dealer will only and should only do an authorized repair on the vehicle. Doing anything else, leaves the dealer open for possible legal problems in the future if their "homemade" fix fails.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

F5, one can only assume warranty is lost?

Name:  Cranked.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  36.0 KB

I see your point, but based on a torsion adjustment, were not talking a catastrophic overhaul to the vehicle. Engineers building these types of vehicles must take in consideration the possibilities of a owner making these types of common adjustments to an intended off-road vehicle.

He should fight it, I know I would.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Its a slippery slope, but I think I would respect f5's response. I think his original response was very open and right on. If your cranking Tbars caused the problem, its your problem. Mechanical failure otherwise is GMs problem. I find it hard to argue with that. As we say with doctors, get a second opinion.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee
Its a slippery slope, but I think I would respect f5's response.

I respect any valid response, especially from F5; it won't stop me from a friendly debate though.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflax24
Went to the dealer b/c I have som popping in vicinity of my torsion bars...Dealer said since I cranked the T-Bars that the warranty will not cover front end problems. AWESOME. Anyone else have this problem.

If he is saying that in general "front end problems won't be covered because you turned the torsion bars" ask him why.

There is something up here.....

Dealers usually take a defensive stance like that if they already know something is not right with any mods, or if you are being unreasonable.

Did you crank them too high? If not, then chances are the problem, what ever they determine it to be should be covered.

I have had mine cranked, not to max but to about 23" ride height for almost 30K miles, and I have had no front end problems that were not covered under warranty.

In my experience, GM has totally backed the HUMMER product. And made a damm fine product too.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aflax, find out how much out of spec you were on the t-bar crank. I doubt it's close, but you might still have a case. But with 35" tires, it probably doesn't matter. That's way out of spec.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Hummer Guru

What way out of spec??? 35's only make a difference from the ground to the front skidplate....does not change any angles that I am aware of.

Does it?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
If I were a dealer, and you came in with a front end noise, and the front had been cranked up, I would inform you that if the repair is due to your cranking the rod, you would pay. If caused by a warrantied item. GM will pay.

Let me make it clear to all, I only mean the front end noise. I do not mean shocks, knuckles, steering, prop shaft, etc., so long as it is just a one or two inch raise of the front end.
If someone raises the front end one or two inches, and a thousand miles later a shock collapses, GM should warranty the item. However, adding more possible stress to a bushing or weld joint....Not too sure.

Oh, and here I will really stretch it, but something that is coming to all of us with the 2008 vehicles.
Scenario....
You crank up the front end two inches, you rear end someone, or have a head on, the H3 goes up and over and causes great bodily harm. Smart attorney, with a great investigator (and I know some fantastic ones that took early outs from GM/Ford and Chrysler in the past few years), who finds the front end was raised by the owner; thus making one hell of a great case for an attorney. Even if the accident was the other persons fault, their, or their relatives attorney could make a case that they would not have had as much damage if the vehicle was at stock height.

In the future, it might be more of a case, since on these high rise vehicles, a device is installed in the front to help prevent the vehicle from going up and over.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I respect any valid response, especially from F5; it won't stop me from a friendly debate though.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Let me make it clear to all, I only mean the front end noise. I do not mean shocks, knuckles, steering, prop shaft, etc., so long as it is just a one or two inch raise of the front end.
If someone raises the front end one or two inches, and a thousand miles later a shock collapses, GM should warranty the item. However, adding more possible stress to a bushing or weld joint....Not too sure.

Oh, and here I will really stretch it, but something that is coming to all of us with the 2008 vehicles.
Scenario....
You crank up the front end two inches, you rear end someone, or have a head on, the H3 goes up and over and causes great bodily harm. Smart attorney, with a great investigator (and I know some fantastic ones that took early outs from GM/Ford and Chrysler in the past few years), who finds the front end was raised by the owner; thus making one hell of a great case for an attorney. Even if the accident was the other persons fault, their, or their relatives attorney could make a case that they would not have had as much damage if the vehicle was at stock height.

In the future, it might be more of a case, since on these high rise vehicles, a device is installed in the front to help prevent the vehicle from going up and over.

crazy laws these days, a person cant have yheir own property the way they want. but its gota be the way its gota be.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
What way out of spec??? 35's only make a difference from the ground to the front skidplate....does not change any angles that I am aware of.

Does it?

You're right, the extra height isn't much by itself. But I'm also thinking of tire weight and width.

The extra weight puts more stress on CVs and tie rods that are already angled out of spec. Between that, the t-bar preload, the new travel range and separation from the bump stop, the shocks are going to take a beating, which further stresses the front end. Tire weight also affects braking force and distance, and can cause heat buildup and glazing in the pads.

Steering components like tie rods and power steering pump will also suffer from the extra force required to overcome the larger contact patch. Then you take it on a trail and multiply all of the above by the stress of inertia and articulation.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
You're right, the extra height isn't much by itself. But I'm also thinking of tire weight and width.

The extra weight puts more stress on CVs and tie rods that are already angled out of spec. Between that, the t-bar preload, the new travel range and separation from the bump stop, the shocks are going to take a beating, which further stresses the front end. Tire weight also affects braking force and distance, and can cause heat buildup and glazing in the pads.

Steering components like tie rods and power steering pump will also suffer from the extra force required to overcome the larger contact patch. Then you take it on a trail and multiply all of the above by the stress of inertia and articulation.

I guess the operative word here is "can". But in my case and Sewies, it hasn't so far.