H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default tires advice - 33" duelers opinion please

?About to order a set of off-road suitable tires finally; after long research I decided to go with 33? set ? I want to keep as close to road performance, acceleration and ride comfort that I have now. I went to Hummer dealer today and consulted the tires & wheels - I plan to get set of five 16" alloy H3 wheels (takes-off's ? assured to be about as nice as new ones), five brand new 285/75/R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires, and five pressure sensors (I will keep my shiny 20? set aside in the garage for now (to put back on when I?ll be selling/trading-in for another Hummer down the road).

I have a question before I?ll pick up the phone and commit to the purchase ? is the Dueler good enough and durable? So far when off-roading in my area, I encountered variety of dirt and debris, sand, gravel, some moderate difficulty rock, parts of destroyed paved roads, not too bad. I may encounter some snow if I?d travel to higher elevations down here in SoCal during the wintertime. I generally drive around the town, and recently started to go weekly off-road for 1/2 day trips or so. Would any M/T tires (still in 33? size) be overkill for my needs? Dueler sounds like a good tough tire that will still be quiet on the road and won?t disappoint in the terrain?

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tires advice - 33" duelers opinion please

They work great for an AT tire and are very quiet. Ive had no issues with them in the desert and mountains in So CA. We don't have much mud down here so no worries about that.

Is the dealer giving you a good price on the take-off wheels and tires?

If you need more traction just let more air out.

I may get BFG AT's or Toyo MT's when its time for new shoes.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
They work great for an AT tire and are very quiet. Ive had no issues with them in the desert and mountains in So CA. We don't have much mud down here so no worries about that.

Is the dealer giving you a good price on the take-off wheels and tires?

If you need more traction just let more air out.

I may get BFG AT's or Toyo MT's when its time for new shoes.

thanks for the info, Dan - sounds as a good tire for my needs then. As for my Hummer dealer's price on tires and rims - the price for rims is fair in my opinion, but the tires are expensive (in comparison to what local discount tire places charge, the dealer wants about 35% more) and they want equally more for other brands such as BFG, but I'd still go with the dealer because it?s a convenience with full warranty, hassle free install, one stop shopping. From my previous experience I believe that they won't give me any crap if I'll damage the tire while off-roading, and will repair or replace for labor cost only. I also don't feel like running around the town and shopping for the cheapest price.

Good to hear that they work even at lower PSI - I'm planning to get some compressed air source on board; either a tank, or maybe compressor ; that could save my butt if I'd get stuck somewhere and needed the extra traction; I have base, non-adventure H3.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92270

Good to hear that they work even at lower PSI - I'm planning to get some compressed air source on board; either a tank, or maybe compressor ; that could save my butt if I'd get stuck somewhere and needed the extra traction; I have base, non-adventure H3.

Check this thread out!! Cool install of compressor under the hood and air com pressor is available for 50 bucks at Costco.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...air+compressor

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

The duelers are holding up excellent after 36,000 ,keeping 35 psi (cold)in them and checking reguarly and rotating tires at 8k and at 24k I rotate them at 40k again.

I think if they ever wear out ill get MT or toyos in a 33 for a different look but might get another set of duelers if they last 70k

They dont even look 1/2 worn

Get the compressor 2 years and no problems with mine.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Hummer Professional

definitely sounds good about Duelers - I considered M/T tires too, but as it is I'm already going to pay a lot, and M/T's would probably run close to $300/tire at the dealer; plus they'd be heavier and probably louder, so somehow defeating the goal to preserve the quality of the daily ride on the streets. Also, when I looked at Duelers mounted on the Alpha at the dealership this morning, the lettering on the tire said 3-ply sidewall. I thought they were 2-ply sidewall only...

Oh thanks for the compressor tip too - sounds as powerful but compact unit and I'll buy it; planned to go to Costco anyway for something else, so I can pick it up at the same time. I don't know if I'd dare to mount it under the hood - my engine compartment is like an oven in the summer (try to imagine the average summer's 110-115F temps in the shade, and black H3..)

I found it at Amazon as well, is it this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Masterflow-Max.../dp/B000NCO6D2

Last edited by Dave92270 : 09-29-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Hummer Authority

That's the one!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3slate
That's the one!

perfect - I can get it shipped in case our local Costco would be out of stock.

I've been giving one more thought to those tires - I'll go with Duelers, unless the dealer would decide to give me an equal or better deal on M/T's. I doubt that, so I'll probably have Duelers next week. And yes the overall ride comfort will be better on A/T's. BTW, anyone has Firestone Desination M/T? According to the specs, they're lightweight (58 pounds only, so almost as Duelers) - they could be possibly a good compromise. Not as aggressive as other M/T's such as heavy Toyo's, maybe just something in-between A/T and M/T?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:32 AM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally think the dueller is a great stock tire for the 3. It does tend to gum up, but only in gumbo mud. For moderate wheeling and wear onroad, I don't think you could go wrong with them. Z
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

They are good tires. All around road and trail. Price around for best deal
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
They are good tires. All around road and trail. Price around for best deal

well, the dealer wants $250 per tire (wheels+sensors extra $$$) - I'm finding it steep, however I feel odd about going to America's Tire or elsewhere, buying those 5 tires myself and dropping them off at the dealership to get them mounted, balanced, setup with sensors and installed.. at least I'll get complete no-question warranty and service at dealer. I'll still try to get pricing on some M/T's from them, but looks like it will be close to $300 per any M/T tire if not more, so I think I'll go with Duelers...
Old 09-30-2007, 04:15 AM
Hummer Authority

250 seems like a lot for oem tires that most people can't unload when they want to. Don't get me wrong, I have been very impressed with the duelers, and like the look of the sidewall lugs.

But you could get a set of 35" mud terrains for 250 a piece.

Are you a Costco member?

Costco has good prices on tires and offers

Lifetime balancing
Lifetime rotation
Lifetime flat repair
Lifetime air pressure checks
New rubber valve stem
Costco Wholesale's road hazard warranty

Here are a couple of links to some nice BFG's

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2006&MA=HUMMER+TRUCKS&MD=H 3&SP=0&MN=63347&cat=3961〈=en-US&MNo=63347&Prodid=11073536&Aspect=75&Diameter=16 &Speed=Q&Width=285

201.99 per tire for BFG 33" all terrains

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2006&MA=HUMMER+TRUCKS&MD=H 3&SP=0&MN=63347&cat=3961〈=en-US&MNo=63347&Prodid=10025502&Aspect=75&Diameter=16 &Speed=Q&Width=285

217.99 per tire for BFG 33" mud terrains.

Those prices include mounting and the lifetime rotation, balancing, etc. as listed above.

I have also seen an entire set of take off duelers (wheels, sensors, tires) for under 500 bucks for the set at my dealer.

Definitely look around at other tire shops, and check Ebay for good deals on duelers if you have your heart set on them.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3slate
250 seems like a lot for oem tires that most people can't unload when they want to. Don't get me wrong, I have been very impressed with the duelers, and like the look of the sidewall lugs.

But you could get a set of 35" mud terrains for 250 a piece.

Are you a Costco member?

Costco has good prices on tires and offers

Lifetime balancing
Lifetime rotation
Lifetime flat repair
Lifetime air pressure checks
New rubber valve stem
Costco Wholesale's road hazard warranty

Here are a couple of links to some nice BFG's

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2006&MA=HUMMER+TRUCKS&MD=H 3&SP=0&MN=63347&cat=3961〈=en-US&MNo=63347&Prodid=11073536&Aspect=75&Diameter=16 &Speed=Q&Width=285

201.99 per tire for BFG 33" all terrains

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2006&MA=HUMMER+TRUCKS&MD=H 3&SP=0&MN=63347&cat=3961〈=en-US&MNo=63347&Prodid=10025502&Aspect=75&Diameter=16 &Speed=Q&Width=285

217.99 per tire for BFG 33" mud terrains.

Those prices include mounting and the lifetime rotation, balancing, etc. as listed above.

I have also seen an entire set of take off duelers (wheels, sensors, tires) for under 500 bucks for the set at my dealer.

Definitely look around at other tire shops, and check Ebay for good deals on duelers if you have your heart set on them.

I know, you're right about the ridiculous pricing at the dealer - I'll probably speak with the dealership and order on Monday, maybe I should mention the competetive pricing elsewhere? Yes I can order at Costco if needed..I will try to push them to give me 33" M/T at that price, but if not I go with Duelers. Oh I looked at eBay for past 2 weeks continuously, I can get set of 4 nice take-offs (mounted on equally nice alloy rims) for about $900 shipped, but no sensors ..and also I want 5 of them, I want full size spare.. One thing is fair from the dealer though - I guess since they got such a nice markup on tires and sensors,they won't charge anything for the labor.

But, great to know that Duelers are good tires - Thanks!

Last edited by Dave92270 : 09-30-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

H3Slate raises a good point regarding deals out there. Alot of folks sell off thier bridgestone 33's at a price point untouchable. I have two sets of tires one without tpm. When I upgraded my radio to a nav system opted out on the chime module. So when the DIC alarm comes on with the SVC tpm Visual without the annoying alarm bongs I simply ignore it. Rather than pay the ridiculous price for the tpm sensors for each stem.
Your have options if you are patient and the stock goodyears are solid performers anyway.
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Hummer Professional

...wpage, I also considered to grab a 33" set off eBay without sensors, and just ignore the sensor alarm..

I've got one more question for the experts around - I went off-road this afternoon once again, I was more adventurous today and when climbing somewhat steeper hill with dirt and rocks, I couldn't get through the bumps and holes - I went up in 4Lo on 1st gear (don't have rear locker though) very slowly, but on high bumps/deep holes my wheels kept spinning (at least those I could see on driver side). I'm not very experienced off-road however I used common sense and advices I came upon.. slow steady motion on slow gear etc.

I'm enclosing few images, it is not that particular spot that troubled me (I didn't take pics) - but the surface is about the same, it is in that area. You can also see the shallow treads I have on my current all terrain tires.

So -will the Duelers be ideal for this type of surface (but often steeper), or I should rather go with M/T tires that have more aggresive treads? Some sections of my current favorite off-roading area that I'd like to explore more has steep narrow paths full of rocks of all sizes, with deep holes, high bumps.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

The Dueler will be great for that terrain.

What you have now are street tires, 20" Rims, no sidwall flex and high air pressure... None of that is good off road!

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
The Dueler will be great for that terrain.

What you have now are street tires, 20" Rims, no sidwall flex and high air pressure... None of that is good off road!

OK, first thanks for valuable advice to all of you guys! ...so here is the outcome; after I spoke with the delaership today, they offered me ProComp Xtreme M/T's in 33" (285/75/16) for only a marginally more $ then they wanted for the 33" Duelers - I took ProComp M/T's - they're ordering my 5 tires today.... will I regret not taking Duelers instead?

Well, now I can't wait to get them mounted, looks like hopefully on Wednesday. BTW, this dealership uses ProComps on some of the lifted trucks they sell so I hope it was a good choice. I asked about Toyo's too but the price was just way too high.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Hummer Professional

OK...got Procomp Xtreme M/T 33"s installed today and like them a lot - hopefully will have chance to test them off-road tomorrow. I got rid of the nerf bars as well, I can't believe how much clearance there is suddenly on the sides withouth those steps.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

hummerpartsman is on a distinguished road

DID THE DEALER GIVE BUY 3 GET ONE FREE? I KNOW PRO COMP HAS THAT DEAL GOING ON.
GOOD TIRE CHOICE.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Hummer Professional

no, unfortunatelly the dealer didn't give me any discount...I paid a lot for those 5 wheels, tires and sensors.

shot in the driveway (I know, too clean..) with 33" Procomps on; I'll try them today on the trail and post some feedback, as well as maybe few pics while off-road