H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 PM

rodster is off the scale

Anybody know the advantages of either a single or dual antenna? Seems people here use both setups. If there's a specific make and model you'd recommend, I'd appreciate hearing that, too.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dick Renaud is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
Antenna folded. Still have to decide what to do with the matching wire. Directions say it's only necessary if SWR won't go sub 2.1. Suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need it.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

rodster,
I'm no CB expert either, but I went with a single 3' Firestik Firefly that I plan to mount over the driver window like Phil and a couple others have done.

I haven't fully mounted it yet, but I have grounded it to the H2 and hooked it up to my Midland 75-822 handheld and it made a big difference in reception without even getting it tuned compared to the reception that the handheld got with just it's little 10in whip. I can pick up truckers on the interstate a few miles away with mild visual obstructions like trees. So it seems for my needs a single stick is plenty.

I'm just too lazy to consider dual sticks and the extra tuning.

BTW, if you are in the market for a handheld/mini, I'm really fond of my Midland 75-822. You can pick it up for ~$85 and it comes with three different power kits, one for completely portable battery powered use, one for in car mount with a 12V plug and antenna connector, and one for AC wall outlet+nicad recharging. It's about the same size as the cobra 75.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "precision tuned at the factory" and don't require further adjustments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I call BS. Don't forget about the ground.

Timgco had two on his H2. They were Firestik's I believe.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have to work, my wife is spending up to my potential and beyond!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

I like these!

Old 01-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
Check out the last paragraph of the italicized text above. The answer is there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks. Of course, all I need is more wires up behind the rail under the dash
Old 01-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

bump
Old 01-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carl:
I agree. By placing it in the middle does that make it hard to get to? If your OK with a middle of the roof location, why not mount in the exact middle through the mesh GOBI deck? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I had mine mounted through the mesh on the driver's side. I ran into two problems. The first being the joint not being long enough to go through the mesh and two thick washers.

The second is I had to use two smaller washers against the mesh so everytime the antenna hit a tree it moved and started loosening by rocking back and forth. You have to use two very wide washers to hold it to the mesh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know...

Who's Carl?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
...The ultimate would be a 100' tower... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,
Can you do the photochop on this?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

this is what i have and have had no problems
Firestik®II "FS Series"
40 Channel +, Tunable Tip CB Antenna 2' black
coupled with cobra http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=5&id=1
Old 01-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Portables work ok at short range in a vehicle with an external antenna. The problem is because there is no provision for grounding they do pick up alot of noise on both TX and RX. If you need to go portable it is a comprimise that you must accept. If you can afford it, I would put the Cobra in the vehicle and have the Midland for portable ops. For Ham, I have an ICOM IC-7000 (HF/VHF/UHF) in the vehicle and a Yeasu FT 7r (VHF/UHF) for portable ops. Again, you have to decide what the use will be and what you are willing to accept in distance and quality. The ultimate would be a 100' tower, Beam antenna and rotor with a half acre ground plan and a 1000 watts.

It is really what is practical for you.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:22 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CslRkH2:
You want a large ground plane for the Antenna to work best. Interestingl your great reception will be from the antenna toward the side with the most metal. So if you mount it in the rear passenger, your best reception will be forward to the driver which would be optimal for Interstate Highways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting. So how about mounting the antenna in the middle of the the horizontal, left-to-right bar that's just aft of the sunroof? That's where I put mine today (and it damn well better work since I had to scrape powder coat to get a good ground ). I ran out of daylight before making the coax run to the interior so I haven't had a chance to test it. Based on what you say, I'd guess my best reception will come from the back, the sides will be even and in front will be the weakest. Agreed?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Everyone I;ve talked to and the websites like FireStik state yo need 18' coax length. I'm not sure that guy you spoke with was correct in this instance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grabbed this off the Firestick site.

About the length: This is a testy subject with many engineering types. They have argued with us on many occasions regarding this matter. They say that if your system is set-up properly that the length of the coax is irrelevant. We agree! However, mobile installations have so many variables that a perfect set-up is the exception, not the rule. One guy has a pick-up and another has a fiberglass motorhome. One wants the antenna on the bumper, another on the hood and a third on the roof. Few people want to drill holes in their vehicle so quality grounds are always a consideration. Because of the imperfect world, we almost always recommend 18' (5.5m) when our products are used. We do so with good reason too! At 18' the voltage curve has dropped back to the zero voltage point where the cable meets the antenna which reduces the reactance within the cable itself (a null cable if you would). It has been our experience that if the antenna location makes it somewhat out of sync with its surroundings, cable lengths that are not multiples of our 18' suggestion adds to the problem. To that, our complaining experts say, "Then the antenna should be moved!" to which we say, "You tell the guy with the $30,000 vehicle that he must drill a hole in his roof so he can use a 9' cable". We solve problems in the best way we can given the boundaries that the customer establishes.

On that note, when you have 18' of coax going to a radio that is only 8' away, what should you do with the other 10'? We recommend that you serpentine it like a skein of yarn so that it is 10-14" long and tie it in the center with a wire tie then tuck it away. Do not roll it up in a tight circle as this can cause it to act like an RF choke, which often times will cause system problems.

If I read that right, it's all about the ground? And if the ground and all other components are good, length is negotiable?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Rodster,
Looks great.

I have a good supply of PlastiDip -- it's a favorite tool, so to speak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that some latex fetish thing ???
Old 01-14-2006, 05:11 PM

rodster is off the scale

Thanks everyone!

It's always great to read the bottom line and specific recommendations.

I bought the Cobra 75WXST in early December. At that time I was in a hurry to have it working so I also bought a magnetic base antenna. The goal now is to have a more effective and permanent setup.

I'll pick up the single Firestik this weekend. Firestik's Firefly is appealing due to its flexibility although I imagine I can get sufficient flex by installing a base spring.

One more question:

I see on Firestik's web site three different coax setups, each with a different type connector on the antenna end. All but one look like one end's connector will need to be cut-off to allow the cable to fit through the roof marker light boot. True? If yes, then do you recommend also buying a replacement connector?

This model cable from Firestik is made for easy routing. If I can find it, this looks like the ticket, yes?

Thanks again. I very much appreciate your time and advice.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, two black Firestiks do look good atleast.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Hummer Authority

Here's the current state of the project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha, ha! Now you get to fuss with those little retainer clips on the bottom of the cup holder tray that slide around when you try to remount the damn thing That alone is enough to keep me from opening up my center console one more time unless it's a national emergency.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:12 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:

Under the headliner or under the carpet I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know of a reason why either of those wouldn't work. It would be a lot more work.

One thing I learned today: coming down the left A-pillar is a whole lot easier than the right. There's lots of open space under the driver's side of the dash. Not so on the passenger's.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:31 AM

rodster is off the scale

Progress!

The antenna is on, the coax is run and tomorrow I'll run power and ground, tune and then button everything up. If you own the Cobra unit (and if you care ) , you can see where I'm headed. After all this, I better be able to talk to my dad in Florida!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2006, 08:18 PM

rodster is off the scale

I'll take pics later. The dash is still in pieces.

Not sure at this point if I'm going to do any tuning. Thoughts?