H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-17-2005, 10:02 PM

banshee13 is off the scale

Buy a manual if you're comfortable with it - more control - better acceleration/better handling - the only vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic was a Landrover RR because there was no choice
Old 11-17-2005, 10:02 PM

banshee13 is off the scale

Buy a manual if you're comfortable with it - more control - better acceleration/better handling - the only vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic was a Landrover RR because there was no choice
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

Was this a question or are you just speaking rhetorically?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Sports cars manual, off-road automatic
Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jake is off the scale

i have to disagree any serious off roaders run a manual tranny.........you have much more control of your rpms which is especially helpful in rock crawling....you can anticipate obstacles and gear down earlier.......also makes downhill descent much easier to handle......I don't know any serious 4x4ers that run an automatic...but its a personal choice......I love the 5spd..more control over your available power
Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake:
...I don't know any serious 4x4ers that run an automatic...but its a personal choice... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just take a look at the Moab pics and videos

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

gc2488 is off the scale

The funny thing is how few H3s have manual transmissions
on dealer lots, even though the manual transmission is
supplosedly no longer on constraint.

Of 16 H3s on the lot of Jerry Seiner Hummer in Salt Lake
2 weeks ago, none of them had manual transmissions.
They were all automatics.

I was in Scottsdale Arizona last month, and it was even worse.
There were 30 H3s on the lot, all with automatic transmissions.

Is the demand really that one-sided here in the US?
(I think the story is much different in Germany.)
I definitely prefer manual transmissions,
not only in sports cars but also in trucks.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

5-Speed any day any car (or Truck) anywhere

If they had and H3 (on the lot) the way I want it I'd have one already.

I will order mine with a 5-speed Adventure and Lux Package.. ( If GM doesn't go under)

Most American cars are automatic and most european cars are stick..

An automatic is easier, less effort and thought involved and simpler to drive.

Americans ( on the average) are fatter than Europeans
Notice a pattern??

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 AM

Surferjo is off the scale

My Dealer in NY (Long Island) has over 170 H3's on the lot and 3 of them are 5spds.

2 have been there since there 2nd shipment of H3's.

My sales rep said i was the 2nd person to purchase a manual from them since they started selling H3's
Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 AM

ODAMO is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake:
i have to disagree any serious off roaders run a manual tranny.........you have much more control of your rpms which is especially helpful in rock crawling....you can anticipate obstacles and gear down earlier.......also makes downhill descent much easier to handle......I don't know any serious 4x4ers that run an automatic...but its a personal
choice......I love the 5spd..more control over your available power </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thats not true, There are a lot of serious off raoders that use juicer trannny's and do just as well as the manual guys, sometimes even better (like when your forward progress comes to a halt on too steep of a hill) All else being equal an auto is better for off road. And as far as there being a lack of compression braking on steep descents with an auto, thats hog wash. An auto trans does not diminish compression braking.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

not many sticks available in so cal salesman said hadant had one yet and that was aug 27th and they had over 50
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 11-18-2005, 01:54 AM

ODAMO is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Desert Dan:
5-Speed any day any car (or Truck) anywhere

If they had and H3 (on the lot) the way I want it I'd have one already.

I will order mine with a 5-speed Adventure and Lux Package.. ( If GM doesn't go under)

Most American cars are automatic and most european cars are stick..

An automatic is easier, less effort and thought involved and simpler to drive.

Americans ( on the average) are fatter than Europeans
Notice a pattern?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like maybe you should move to Europe, then you can hang out with your skinny, manual tranny driving, no deodorant wearing Bohemians. LOL
Old 11-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

i have to disagree any serious off roaders run a manual tranny.........you have much more control of your rpms which is especially helpful in rock crawling....you can anticipate obstacles and gear down earlier.......also makes downhill descent much easier to handle......I don't know any serious 4x4ers that run an automatic...but its a personal choice......I love the 5spd..more control over your available power </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most serious off roaders run a manaul trans?
Maybe in the Jeep world. Of all the clubs, freinds, off road trips I have been involved with all use manual trans. Esp. the guys that rock crawl and tha includes quite a few jeeps!

you can anticipate and gear down earlier?

Do you mean to say this cannot be done in an automatic trans?
Down hill descents? The crawl ratio in the auto H3 doesn't even require the brakes to be used.

Like you said, it is a pesonal choice. After running quite a few trails in Moab and a few here in CO, I would never run a manual trans. You stall and loose breaks and steering because you didn't ride that clutch just perffect, you're dead.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive had a 76 k5 blazer full time 4x . I still have 90 silverado z71 and the H3 all automatics , have gone a heck of alot of places and gotten stuck in a heck of alot of places , I still prefer an auto never saw a stick go where I couldant . jmtcw , but had to have the 6 speed in my 2k hardtop , love the stick in the vette but wouldant want one in the H3
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 11-18-2005, 03:04 AM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

I have an automatic, but originally wanted the H3's "no stall" manual trans. When I first test drove the manual shift, I hadn't driven a stick in about 10 years and was wondering why it shifted so smoothly. Unfortunately for me, the manual was a base model and I really liked the lux package.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hummerdonthurtem:
I have an automatic, but originally wanted the H3's "no stall" manual trans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, what is the "no stall" manual trans? I never heard about this>.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:01 AM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

I was told that the engine does not stall if you let go of the clutch too fast.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
i have to disagree any serious off roaders run a manual tranny.........you have much more control of your rpms which is especially helpful in rock crawling....you can anticipate obstacles and gear down earlier.......also makes downhill descent much easier to handle......I don't know any serious 4x4ers that run an automatic...but its a personal choice......I love the 5spd..more control over your available power </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most serious off roaders run a manaul trans?
Maybe in the Jeep world. Of all the clubs, freinds, off road trips I have been involved with all use manual trans. Esp. the guys that rock crawl and tha includes quite a few jeeps!

you can anticipate and gear down earlier?

Do you mean to say this cannot be done in an automatic trans?
Down hill descents? The crawl ratio in the auto H3 doesn't even require the brakes to be used.

Like you said, it is a pesonal choice. After running quite a few trails in Moab and a few here in CO, I would never run a manual trans. You stall and loose breaks and steering because you didn't ride that clutch just perffect, you're dead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. You can downshift an auto as well as a manual for ascending and descending a hill, and you have no clutch to burn out due to having to ride it to keep control. I have tried both, and for off-road, I will take the auto any day.
As for serious off-roaders, in Moab, from what I have seen it is about 75 percent autos to 25 percent manuals that are riding up places like Hell's Revenge.

I say autos in sports cars, just for fun; however, a professionally built auto, with a high stall converter, correct shift points and pressures, can waste any manual at the track.

No matter what you drive, just make sure to drive what you are comfortable with. Auto versus manual is like Chevy versus Ford, no one is really right, no one is really wrong.

As for the manual Hummer. The reason they are not on the lots is not because they are selling better than the autos, it is due to the fact that they projected a very small number of manuals versus autos. GM's research shows autos were more popular for a few reasons; one of which an auto actually affords more control off-road, and for daily driving, it is easier.
And one more important fact, for US sales, manuals are not that popular.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

Mike B is off the scale

Auto is superior for almost all off road applications, due to consant gearing and stalling issues. Think about stalling half way up a steep, long incline--not for me.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hummerdonthurtem:
I have an automatic, but originally wanted the H3's "no stall" manual trans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, what is the "no stall" manual trans? I never heard about this>. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This thread is the first I've heard of it too, but I think I experienced it a couple of weekends ago at Hummer Happening. I was in 4-lo with locked rear diff for much of the course working in and out of 1st and 2nd gear.

I remember a couple of stretches that I built-up momentum in 2nd gear to get through mud and then immediatley downshifted to first when coming out of the mud. I did this because immediatley following the mud was a steep rocky incline which was followed by a steep rocky decline. Of course, I was riding the clutch the whole time not wanting my rpm's to drop too low and stall.

The strange part was that on my second time through the course I put it in first and didn't touch the clutch. The rpms remained steady and the truck crawled through the mud and up the rocky hill. On the way down I drove with one foot on the brake only -- no clutch and no gas. I brought the struck to a complete stop several times on the descent and it WOULD NOT STALL!

Although this certainly inspired confidence on the trail, I've never experienced anything like this in a manual before, and wasn't sure if bringing the truck to a complete stop with the clutch engaged was a good idea in terms of wear and tear.

Anybody else with a manual have similar experience? I'm wondering if this only occurs in 1st gear in 4-lo -- I didn't try to stall it when I was in 2nd.
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.