H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Elcova Newbie

Dieter122 is on a distinguished road
Default All H2s have air ride suspension or?

Do all H2s have air ride suspension or is that an extra? Are they more expensive to maintain vs standard suspension? Is the ride that much more rough without them installed?

The 04 H2 im looking at doenst have air ride suspension as being a feature, so I am only assuming it doesnt have it installed?

thnx guys
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

codered is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All H2s have air ride suspension or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter122
Do all H2s have air ride suspension or is that an extra? Are they more expensive to maintain vs standard suspension? Is the ride that much more rough without them installed?

The 04 H2 im looking at doenst have air ride suspension as being a feature, so I am only assuming it doesnt have it installed?

thnx guys

Air Ride was an option. Sometimes I think it's more of a pain in the butt to have, because of the upkeep. I know eventually the bags will leak or the compressor will go bad and I will be spending a lot of money to fix mine.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi glad mine doesn't have it. To much money to keep it up, but it does ride good.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

I too am just learning these thing and I was told the air suspension is part of the adventure package.

I've read of people switching from air to reg. rear suspension but haven't read once of someone doing the opposite.

I'm buying this week, no air suspension. I like to have it all bit can't say I'm all that upset about not having the air suspension.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

dvl57 is on a distinguished road

I have the air suspension package...and I love it.
I can use the compressor to air up my tires when needed....and the ride is very smooth.

When I was looking to buy a H2, I wanted this feature.

My 2 cents.

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust
Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

pohlease is on a distinguished road

I love the way mine looks with the airbag susp. it always sits level unlike the other hummers that need a leveling kit to make them level. We've used to height control feature off roading also.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I have the Adventure Package and air suspension on my '06 SUT and I've been VERY happy with it. It all works fine after four years and no problems with anything - the bags are fine and the sensors still work like they are supposed to.
I like the compressor for airing up my tires if you've aired them down (even though it's a little slow), but you will really love the ability to raise your rear if you offroad - it helps your departure angle. Just remember to air back down before you go into the garage if your H2 is a tight squeeze like mine is. They say it makes no difference on the highway ride, but after having an '03 H2 without it, I'm not sold on that statement.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

jaxtrip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlease
I love the way mine looks with the airbag susp. it always sits level unlike the other hummers that need a leveling kit to make them level. We've used to height control feature off roading also.

+1

If you offroad the compressor is very handy for airing up tires and the air suspension keeps the ride smooth even in the super rough stuff.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlease
I love the way mine looks with the airbag susp. it always sits level unlike the other hummers that need a leveling kit to make them level.

Are you saying that H2's with air sit lower in the back than those that don't have air?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

pohlease is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSUT
Are you saying that H2's with air sit lower in the back than those that don't have air?

Correct... Since the airbags correct for any sagging from towing the truck is always level.

In non airbag trucks, like most pick up trucks, the rear is slightly elevated so the truck/hummer sits level when towing.

My co worker has a non airbagged hummer and the difference is very obvious.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

I have had both. My 03 and 05 had air ride. The compressor is nice however slow. Offroad I have broken 1 bag, had to cancel the rest of the trip and ride home with the hummer sitting on the axle. Really sucked. In my 07 I got the springs, no more worries of failure. However my trailer is really heavy tongue weight and the Hummer sagged bad when towing I had to ad air bags which I air up while towing and release to go offroading.

If you do a lot of offroading don't get the air, otherwise it is great.

Provide more additional suspension support for your front and rear suspensions. These Air Lift suspension kits are an excellent solution for the front P-30 motorhome suspensions!
Airlift Kit 1000 Coil (60000 & 80000 Series)
? Air adjustable air lift springs fit open coil springs on all vehicles, front or rear
? Up to 1000 lbs. of load leveling capability
? The #1 choice for passenger car heavy load assist
? Excellent front end support for snow plows,
winches, etc.

?
Replaces front OEM air springs on P30/3500 chassis

Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

jaxtrip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiles

If you do a lot of offroading don't get the air, otherwise it is great.

Your opinion, You got unlucky once. I offroad ALOT and have never had a problem with the air bags...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the air suspension on my H2 and love it. I offroad every time I go out, since I live in a wooded area that you can only access down a dirt/mud and gravel trail and through a small creek. Emergency responders have warned their equipment might not get through in an emergency and my homeowners rates reflect that, but I love where I live and if it wasn't for 4 X 4s it would be impossible to live here full time.
I always keep the rear aired up since coming down the hill makes scraping the spare a real possibility. I'm not sure what the speed is, but I think it's around 40mph where it squats back down. I haven't had any problems with the bags or the sensors either. I also carry a Sears 12v compressor in the bed (it's much faster than the Hummer unit) but I've used the Hummer compressor on numerous occassions. Having two compressors makes airing up much faster. I have a battery in the bed too in parallel with the front battery that I can disconnect with one of those green twist off switches. I love my H2 and the air suspension.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Uhhh Jim,

I just wanna make sure I got this right... You live in the remote wilderness??? You're good at wiring stuff??? You need a 4x4 to even get to your house??
Do you like to send send packages to people that when they open the get a superize? lol

Anyway I have the air ride. I blew a bag out offroading at Windrock a couple weeks ago. Sounded like a shotguy going off. The plastic nipple under the bag that bolts to the axle failed. I still had 2 miles of mountain to climb to get to a gravel road. I still made it up the trail on the bump stops and did not slow my group down. I was VERY impressed. However my undercarriage did not enjoy this too much lol. I had a new bag in the truck and repaired the nipple with JB weld and 2 part epoxy and was on the trail the next day. Now the nipple is stronger than it was when stock.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

coach K is off the scale

I had air ride on my 03 H2 and it had a leak when I was up in NC so the compressor ran all the time until I got back to FL. Took it to the dealer and $6000.00 later all is well. I need the air because I tow a trailer.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach K
I had air ride on my 03 H2 and it had a leak when I was up in NC so the compressor ran all the time until I got back to FL. Took it to the dealer and $6000.00 later all is well. I need the air because I tow a trailer.

6000.00???????
Old 11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Hmmmmmm..... glad I have no air. I tow a small aluminum boat, no problems. But any one can tow this boat. I guess if you really need the air then all well and good. But sound like its just something else that could break at the worst of times.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled
Hmmmmmm..... glad I have no air. I tow a small aluminum boat, no problems. But any one can tow this boat. I guess if you really need the air then all well and good. But sound like its just something else that could break at the worst of times.

Go figure... I just happened to end up with the air
Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Iv'e got Air Ride in my 09... Very cool ...the ride is sweet and I like the Pump me out of the bad departure angel thing also when towing makes a big dif as the sensors pump you up to level for towing.

The smartest move I made was to buy the GM extended warranty .. I'm covered for 8 years. Bumper to Bumper. You can pay it off monthly with no intrest or cancell at any time. You can even buy it now if your rig is a low milage H2.. Look into it thru your GM dealer or go on line and search.

A good thing to have

Worth every penney when you have to see the dealer.. Live Lfe to the fullest extent of your HUMMER
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

vandy0090 is on a distinguished road

ive got air on my 03. ive also had to replace the air bags on it when they started leaking. ive got 50k miles on it and shes never seen a dirt road. something that just happens i guess. it is nice to have the auto level and its nice to be able to jack up the rear end with a touch of a button. but it can be a pain in the ass if your components start crapping out. luckily the air bags are an easy fix. took longer to jack the rear of the rig up than to change them out. i think down the road if i lift it the air ride is coming out. the compressor will stay for the added benifits that it gives but there are way to many components working together that can and most likely will go bad at some point