H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Question White milky marks (?) on left air intake vent ...

I have some free-form milky marks on the left air intake vent/box on the H3. The car wash told me they look like water marks in the paint. They weren't there when I picked up the H3, but had appeard maybe about 4-5 months later. I also have a few white circles on the black strip that goes up along the front window (A pillar). I asked the dealer about buffing out the water (?) marks and asked if they knew what the white circles (discolored circle) were? I vaguely remember driving through something that sprayed up ... maybe washed down concrete water from around a new home being built. It stayed on the vinyl strip. The water mark had been on the air intake box prior to that. The service manager told me it was acid in bird poop. I told him I keep the H3 washed ALL of the time and have never had bird poop on it. He insisted. Yet when you feel the paint on it, you can't feel anything. It's smooth. I think it's a defect in the paint on that box and want it replaced. Anyone know what that could be? (It's not from bird poop.) Also, any thoughts on how to get those discoloration marks/cicles off the vinyl A pillar strip? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: White milky marks (?) on left air intake vent ...

Possibly this, but it could also be something like cement dust or liquid that sprayed up and stained the paint. Cement dust can ruin paint, as well as bird poop. If you have a white or light vehicle, a stone chip can appear to be a flaw in the paint, and if it just grazed the part, it will not cause a chip. Another thing that can damage paint is bugs.
I had a white Vette and lived in the south, I had a bra on it most of the year due to stains received from some of the flying bugs, and from some stone chips. I thought they were flaws, but I had some GM paint experts I worked with check it over and they all agreed some small spots were from stones grazing off the paint, and some of the dark stains on the front fascia were bug stains.

But not being there and seeing the marks, I can't say if this is what the bulletin is talking about or not.

Subject: Cloudy Spot in Paint After Protective Covering is Removed (Heat Area) #05-08-51-005 - (09/21/2005)

Models: 2005-2006 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

2005-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
During Pre-Delivery after the Wrap Guard ? has been removed, some cloudy spots may be present in the clear coat.

Cause
The Wrap Guard? may have had some air bubbles or creases under the material where water may have collected.

Correction DO THIS
Use heat gun to remove the spot.

DON'T' DO THIS
Do Not paint the panel.

Apply heat to the spot using a heat gun for 10 seconds, making sure not to burn the paint.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Talking Re: White milky marks (?) on left air intake vent ...

f5fstop!!! Yes!! You were right! I printed the GM/Hummer bulletin you had posted and drove down to the Hummer dealer today. Spoke to the Service Manager on duty .. he read the bulletin and asked if he could keep it ... then looked at the two air intakes vents/boxes AND the strip under the windshield/windshield wipers. He said the marks were DEFINITELY water marks caused by the Wrap Guard. OMG! I told him the service writer told me the marks were left by 'bird poop'. I keep the truck clean 24/7, so I knew it wasn't from 'bird poop'. He shook his head and said no, there are definite water marks .. and that the clear coat looked to be coming off in one area. I was livid since they kept the truck for so long the last time for the other prob. He offered to put me back in the Escalade again (AGH!) .. I just turned it in yesterday. Told him no .. I had already forgotten what my truck looked like. So, he's ordering the whole section (both air intake vents and the strip under the windshield wipers) and will call me for installation when they are all set and ready. They'll put me in a loaner for a day while they do the installation. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting your thoughts and the bulletin! If I didn't have it in hand, I don't think he would have done anything. Thanks f5fstop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, one of the mechanics told me to buy some 'Armadillo' at Pep Boys (or similar)for the small discoloration spots on the vinyl strips that go up the A pillar. He said that should work them out.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Hummer Guru

Are you talking about the big black A-pillar moldings that blend in with the roof molding? If so, wait a while, there are new ones coming out, that fit better and the roof rails are to be replaced due to cracking.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

FJD is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Are you talking about the big black A-pillar moldings that blend in with the roof molding? If so, wait a while, there are new ones coming out, that fit better.

F5, do you know if the A-pillar will be covered under warranty ?? Mine fits like crap and I would love to make them replace it at their $$.

TIA
Old 06-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Hummer Guru

Question Re: White milky marks (?) on left air intake vent ...

f5fstop .. yes, I'm talking about the A pillar moldings. I can wait, but am wondering if warranty covers replacement due to the discoloration (spots due to some sort of splash up), or do you think I'd have to buy the replacements? The service writer more or less told me it was something that splashed up or bird droppings (not). Are you saying the new ones will be under warranty because of the roof rails cracking, which will need to be replaced? ALSO .... I just realized that an area on the hood (center, top edge, near windshield wipers) has the cloudy discoloration, too. I never thoughttoo much of it other than it would never polish off during a car wash. I thought the car wash just couldn't reach to rub that area. Now that you brought the bulletin to my attention and the dealer has acknowledged the cloudy discoloration on the other areas, I'm sure this is part of the same problem since it's all within the same area. I looked at it closely today and it looks the same .. freeform milky look. I DON'T want a new hood, or a repainted hood. I wonder if I should just live with it or see if they can use heat to get rid of it, as suggested on the GM bulletin... as long as the tech doesn't burn the paint.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Hummer Guru

Roof rails are noted to crack where the pillar molding slides over. GM has a new supplier producing better rails, and better fitting pillar moldings. They were supposed to be out in May, but I have not seen the paperwork stating they are released. When they are released I'll post it here, unless someone else finds out first. It would be all under warranty. GM is aware there is a fit problem with the pillar moldings, and a cracking problem with the roof rails.
As for the white spots, I'm not sure what your's are caused by. I have not seen or heard of any white spots on the pillar moldings. If I were a service writer, I would have to wonder about some type of road splash.