H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

PewterPower is off the scale

I'm interested in changing my stock BFG ATs (after 47K miles) to the Toyo Open Country MTs. I would like the more aggressive look.

My question is this....can I put the 37x13.5x17 size on the H2 with Helo Maxx Wheels with a backspacing of -4.5 without having problems ? I have reviewed lots of prior threads and even PhilD's excellent tire information but I'm not clear on the answer to my question.

I would appreciate the assistance of the many experts on this forum.

Thanks,
Vicki
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

I'm interested in changing my stock BFG ATs (after 47K miles) to the Toyo Open Country MTs. I would like the more aggressive look.

My question is this....can I put the 37x13.5x17 size on the H2 with Helo Maxx Wheels with a backspacing of -4.5 without having problems ? I have reviewed lots of prior threads and even PhilD's excellent tire information but I'm not clear on the answer to my question.

I would appreciate the assistance of the many experts on this forum.

Thanks,
Vicki
Old 05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

The numbers sound good, but there is no way to know for sure other than trial and error. Tell the tire shop that unless they can guarantee that they won't rub, you need to try them for a few miles. Test them with a fully loaded vehicle and a locked (left and right) steering wheel on the most severe terrain you can find near the shop at max inflation, normal inflation and when aired down to the lowest you would use off road. There are variations in anti-sway bar adjustments from one H2 to the next, so no one can speak for EXACTLY how your truck will fit these tires. The section width is exactly 1 inch greater than stock (13.5" vs. 12.5" inch originally). Section width refers to the width of the tire at its widest point under normal inflation pressure, not at the tread. With a backspacing of 4.5 inches, you may be okay. Don't go beyond 4.5" backspacing as this will put excessive stress on your C/V joints.

Wish I could be of more help, but you need to try them out to be sure. Perhaps someone with the identical set-up will reply. That will get you closer, but still only an approximation. Please report back with your findings. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 PM

lexpro is off the scale

35x13.5s rub a little on mine....i bet the 37x13.5s would rub more than i want thats why i didnt get them....good luck!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lexpro: What kind of tire did you find in that 35x13.5R17 size ?

PhilD: The Helo wheels are 17x9. I, like you, am ok with a little rubbing and am willing to make some small adjustments underneath the fender well if necessary.

Any idea what kind of mileage I'll get from the Toyo tires ? What about the BFG MTs ?

Thanks for all your help,
Vicki
Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 PM

lexpro is off the scale

Vicki,,,,sorry didnt give more info mine are 20's in Toyo MT
Old 05-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Banned

One last item to consider, Vicki, is this. While I don't wish to invalidate lexpro's experience, he was running a 20" (diameter) rim. This would be 1 1/2 inches farther away from the axle center. 20"-17" = 3" change in diameter = 1 1/2" change in radius. Consequently, the section width (widest part of the tire) is closer to the frame parts where it might rub. So, ironically, for a fixed overall tire size (37") a taller sidewall (or smaller rim) makes rubbing less likely. So staying with 17's works in your favor. If any of this is unclear, feel free to PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PewterPower:

Any idea what kind of mileage I'll get from the Toyo tires ? What about the BFG MTs ?

Thanks for all your help,
Vicki </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had my BFG MT's for over 10k miles now, and they are wearing very nicely. I've had them on several other vehicles for more than 40k miles. It's important to make sure you rotate them every oil change or every 5000 miles to keep them from cupping. (or whatever it's called) Either tire would be a good choice IMHO.

Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:11 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

On Toyo's webpage it lists a 35x12.50x17 Open Country M/T.

But nobody has them in stock? It's definitley the tire I want.

Phil,

How is handling in wet weather? I hear these are great as oppossed to the BFG M/Ts slidding around. It looks like the lugs have a factory sipe. Is that why?

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM

lexpro is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by DennisAJC:
On Toyo's webpage it lists a 35x12.50x17 Open Country M/T.

But nobody has them in stock? It's definitley the tire I want.

QUOTE]

D, my local guy said 45-60 days out on the Toyos...
Old 05-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Hummer Guru

I just met a gal that put 35x12.5x20 inch Toyos on her H2. It was parked next to mine in the parking lot at the beach. Those Toyos looked like they were about 1.5 to 2 inches taller than my 35x12.5x17 BFG MT. They even looked like they took up more wheel well space.

Different manufacturers must use different measurements, cuz they don't look the same.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

My local tire store here in FL cannot find the Toyo tires....any suggestions on where I might find some ? I'm located in Tampa, FL.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PewterPower:
My local tire store here in FL cannot find the Toyo tires....any suggestions on where I might find some ? I'm located in Tampa, FL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My local tire store here in Portland couldn't get a set either, but I did stop by a Les Schwab Tire Center and they had 35x12.5x18 in stock. Les Schwab is a huge tire distributor here in the Northwest. I'm not sure if you can order on line or not. Hope that's a little bit of help.

http://www.lesschwab.com
Old 06-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

Hey, Roxie!

I just called the west coast center. Right now the 37 x1 2.50 R17's are on national back order. They expect them from Japan mid-summer, but are not making any guarantees.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
Hey, Roxie!

I just called the west coast center. Right now the 37 x1 2.50 R17's are on national back order. They expect them from Japan mid-summer, but are not making any guarantees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was checking on the R18's. sorry.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW- I have had the BFG MT's 37/12.50/17's on my stock non air susp. SUT. Very little rubbing. when I had them on my 03 air susp H2 SUV, they rubbed everywhere; esp. when aired down and flexed.

Just like Tower and Phil both said.. You have to just try it.
So on the very wet roads they can be a little slick. On wet roads or ice (not that you have to worry about the ice part) I would really prefer an AT tire.
If you just want a bigger tire, I have seen an H2 with 37" BFG AT's. They looked nice, filled that wheel well a little more too.
Good luck, and post some pics when you decide.