H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Elcova Rookie

DaveH3nj is on a distinguished road
Default Wind noise on new H3

(I accidentally previously posted this in the H2 forum)
I just picked up my new '06 H3 and LOVE it EXCEPT there is a very annoying, loud wind vibration coming from over the driver's side visor at speeds over 50 mph. Before I take it in, has anyone experienced anything similar?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Webster1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wind noise on new H3

Do you have the cab markr lights? They are haveing problems with wind noise and are on hold right now.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Elcova Rookie

Yep, have marker lights. What do you mean by "on hold?"
Old 07-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

CorvetteOJ is off the scale

Hey guys, allow me to share my story concerning the marker lights. I had a nightmare with mine. Three trips to the dealer (120 miles one way) to get the damn things fixed. The GM "fix kit" made it ten times worse. On the last effort we moved them back until they hit the XM antenna base, drilled 6 more holes, sealed the first six and mounted it again. I took it for a test drive and reached speeds of 99mph. By the way, that is when the limiter kicks in. There was absolutely no noise. All the way home, I tried it in all configurations, behind 18 wheelers, behind suvs, behind small cars and out in "clean air." No noise, and prior to relocating them, the noise was unbearable. They would actually slap the roof continually over 70mph. They even look better now. You could say I am a happy camper with my marker lights that make no noise!

OJ
http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines...lery.ten?id=45
03 50th Anniversary Vette
Old 07-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Steve - SanJose

No marker lights on my H3. No wind noise, I drive 80-90mph frequently.

S.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Wind noise on new H3

DaveNJ, the original marker light kits put on the 06's caused a loud noise when going over 50mph...like wind or flapping sounds. Then, evidently a 'fix kit' came out to rectify the problem. My dealer parts person told me it was a NEW set, not a fix. <grrrrrr> Anyways, the newest 'fix kit' is on hold, so no one can get marker lights until the problem is found and solved. Were your marker lights already on the vehicle when you bought it .. or, did you have them put them on before you took delivery of it? Either way, you may have the problem ones since the new ones aren't out yet. Marker lights, air leak in windshield, or cracked roof rail (between rail and A Pillar). Good luck and post what you find out.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale

Iv had wind noise on mine also and I dont have the marker light up top. The A-pillar trim and roof trim were cracked. They replaced both pieced and screwed them down with a screw at the meeting point. Is the screw "The Fix" for that prablem, or should I go back and yell at them for screwing into my trim??
Old 07-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

fw888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteOJ
Hey guys, allow me to share my story concerning the marker lights. I had a nightmare with mine. Three trips to the dealer (120 miles one way) to get the damn things fixed. The GM "fix kit" made it ten times worse. On the last effort we moved them back until they hit the XM antenna base, drilled 6 more holes, sealed the first six and mounted it again. I took it for a test drive and reached speeds of 99mph. By the way, that is when the limiter kicks in. There was absolutely no noise. All the way home, I tried it in all configurations, behind 18 wheelers, behind suvs, behind small cars and out in "clean air." No noise, and prior to relocating them, the noise was unbearable. They would actually slap the roof continually over 70mph. They even look better now. You could say I am a happy camper with my marker lights that make no noise!

OJ
can you post some pictures so we can see...
Old 07-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSandH3
Iv had wind noise on mine also and I dont have the marker light up top. The A-pillar trim and roof trim were cracked. They replaced both pieced and screwed them down with a screw at the meeting point. Is the screw "The Fix" for that prablem, or should I go back and yell at them for screwing into my trim??

They put a screw into them?!?! My dealer service dept. removed the whole cracked roof rail and replaced them with the new ones. They had to remove the rack to do it. Others here have said they replaced both roof rails at the same time. Uhhh, I don't think they were supposed to put a screw into it, GotSand H3.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale

Ya a screw!! i was pissed when I saw that. They said they replaced the rails. Im beginning to think that maybe they just screwed down the old ones. Im going back to complain.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

My marker lights were put on after the so called fix and had the same vibrating wind noise. On the first two tries to fix the noise would go away for a week or two then get steadily worse. The third time they also replace the DS A-pillar plastic and I have not had any more noise issue in almost three months.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just noticed a high pitched whistle this morning at about 70 mph. I could only hear it with the window open. Is this the problem to which everyone was referring? I have the off-road lights, not the marker lights.

Thx!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
DaveNJ, the original marker light kits put on the 06's caused a loud noise when going over 50mph...like wind or flapping sounds. Then, evidently a 'fix kit' came out to rectify the problem. My dealer parts person told me it was a NEW set, not a fix. <grrrrrr> Anyways, the newest 'fix kit' is on hold, so no one can get marker lights until the problem is found and solved. Were your marker lights already on the vehicle when you bought it .. or, did you have them put them on before you took delivery of it? Either way, you may have the problem ones since the new ones aren't out yet. Marker lights, air leak in windshield, or cracked roof rail (between rail and A Pillar). Good luck and post what you find out.

Hmmm3, thanks for the info. The lights on my vehicle were already there when I found/bought it. I did call the dealer/service dept. today and they said they were well aware of the problem and to just bring it in. I'll post what happens.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I just noticed a high pitched whistle this morning at about 70 mph. I could only hear it with the window open. Is this the problem to which everyone was referring? I have the off-road lights, not the marker lights.

Thx!

Definitely not the same as the noise I am talking about with the marker lights. The noise I am talking about is loud enough that it can sometime be hard to even talk over.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

HummerBabe is off the scale

I just picked up my new H3 today and we could hardly talk on the way home for the wind noise/virbration racket it was making at speeds over 60mph. My husband looked at it when we got home and said he thought a screw was stripped on the bar that the lights are mounted on. Should I call the dealer and ask for the "fix kit" or are they still on hold? These lights were already on the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Hummer Guru

I would most definitely call the dealer. Mine were that bad at times but they were able to fix them.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Elcova Rookie

Went to the dealer yesterday. They have a new fix kit that they say will definitely fix the problem. I've got an appointment for next week and will post the results.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the part number of the NEW fix kit? I too have that annoying hum/vibration from the marker lamps even after the initial fix kit was installed. Somewhere between 65 and 75 mph it manifests itself.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

Just talked with my Dealer about installing the Roof Marker lights... And was told that GM has told dealers not to install or sell them. The fix that GM came out with is temporary and the are coming loose. phone call was 8/2/06