H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Hummer Professional

kalantar is off the scale
Default Oil changes, I think I am going to start doing it on my own

I generally go to the local shop to change my oil (I provide the oil/filter and these places still charge $30-$35) and recently I have scene some sloppy work. I purchased a Liquivac for my off-road toys and it seems simple enough so I think I am going to buy one for my cars as well.

Any one use these on their H2?
How much of a bitch is it to get to the oil filter?

It basically sucks the oil out of your vehicle without getting under it and removing the oil plug, here is the vid:

http://www.liquivac.com/
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil changes, I think I am going to start doing it on my own

You don't have to take the skid plate off to change the oil. The filter and drain bolt are at the back of the engine and skid plate. I wear a glove because I've cut my hand on the back of the skid plate before taking off the filter and there is someone here that posted using a marine engine suction pump to suck the oil out of the oil dripstick tube and he was very happy with that. I like to get under it and let all the junk drain out of the bottom of the oil pan with the bolt off. I even pour a half quart of clean oil through it to clean out the remaining gunk in the heads and pan before I put the bolt back in.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Indy is on a distinguished road

Unscrew the bolt in the pan....takes 5 Seconds and you will get better results. The oil filter is to the drivers side beside the oil pan. Easy to get to, but you might need an oil filter wrench (cheap tool), since they can be pretty tight sometimes. Cheers.

Corvette C5 / Millennium Yellow / 6M - 5.7 V8 - sold
Corvette C5 / Nassau Blue / 6M - 5.7 V8 - sold
J E E P ZJ / 7" lift / 35" Cooper STT - sold
J E E P TJ / 7" lift /chillipepper red / 37" MTR - sold
Mustang GT / black / 5M - 4.6 V8 - sold
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

What are ya'll doing with the old oil? When I was a kid and would help my grandfather change his oil we'd always take the dirty oil out the field behind the house and dump it down a sink hole...(man that sounded real country...lol)...

So...what are we supposed to do now-a-days? As I'm sure some granola-cruncher has come up with a PC, environmentally-responsible way of dealing with its disposal.

Trust me though, if I had a sink hole in my back yard I wouldn't even be asking this question.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Hummer Professional

s_c5519 is on a distinguished road

I've never seen or heard of that Liquivac, and I don't know much about do it yourself things... but for some reason... I just don't really like or trust that thing to do a proper job...

I would think for maybe a lawnmower it's ok, but I wouldn't screw around with it on a Ferrari...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

pwrhse2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
What are ya'll doing with the old oil? When I was a kid and would help my grandfather change his oil we'd always take the dirty oil out the field behind the house and dump it down a sink hole...(man that sounded real country...lol)...

So...what are we supposed to do now-a-days? As I'm sure some granola-cruncher has come up with a PC, environmentally-responsible way of dealing with its disposal.

Trust me though, if I had a sink hole in my back yard I wouldn't even be asking this question.

Brent you crack me up! LOL

Advanced Auto and Auto Zone will dispose of up to 5 qts. per day. Also, my local landfill accepts used oil, old batteries and antifreez as well. You might want to check with your local landfill.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

glennf1 is on a distinguished road

I use a similar pump to change power steering fluid and transmission fluid. I wouldn't use it for the oil though.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror

in Florida the oil change places have to take from any do it your self types for free.~Richard
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Nothing works better on keeping the weeds and grass out of the cracks in your driveway than old engine oil!

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

finbox is an unknown quantity at this point

My old neighbor used to pour it on his fence post to keep them from rotting, they look like new and there 66 years old!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantar
I generally go to the local shop to change my oil (I provide the oil/filter and these places still charge $30-$35) and recently I have scene some sloppy work. I purchased a Liquivac for my off-road toys and it seems simple enough so I think I am going to buy one for my cars as well.

It basically sucks the oil out of your vehicle without getting under it and removing the oil plug, here is the vid:

I lived aboard my sailboat for 10 years. It had a Perkins diesel. I always changed the oil myself and tried a couple of different suction devices. What I found was this: If you don't warm up the oil enough (running the engine) then the oil is too thick to suck out. If I ran the engine too long then the oil melted the pump seals. That's how I broke both of them. I burnt my hand on the one with a brass cylinder, too. Mind you, the Perkins required 30 weight oil, not 5-30, so they might work better for a Hummer.

I prefer to drain my Hummer's oil pan because I feel it does a better job of removing an heavy sediments.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Hummer Professional

s_c5519 is on a distinguished road

Here is the best, but long read, on way too much you need to know about oil!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

When I had to get the oil changed in mine for the first time I did it myself as I have always done for all our vehicles. Everything was basic until it came to the filter. Removing the filter wasn't the issue-it was trying to catch all the oil before it dripped all over everything!!

Filter relocation kit maybe??
Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGuy
I lived aboard my sailboat for 10 years. It had a Perkins diesel.

You're my hero! That is my dream, to retire and live aboard a sailboat in the Florida Keys. My wife says we have too much "stuff" to do that, but you can always rent a storeage unit. She also says I could never part with the Corvette or leave the Hummer outside and not in a garage. One of my best friends retired and lives on a sailboat with his wife in Bora Bora and I look at his postcards and drool while I'm sitting at my desk in the office.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerMann
You're my hero! That is my dream, to retire and live aboard a sailboat in the Florida Keys. My wife says we have too much "stuff" to do that, but you can always rent a storeage unit. She also says I could never part with the Corvette or leave the Hummer outside and not in a garage. One of my best friends retired and lives on a sailboat with his wife in Bora Bora and I look at his postcards and drool while I'm sitting at my desk in the office.

You find there is much you can do without as far as material possessions when you are living a dream. There were many aspects of the lifestyle that more than compensated for the minimalist living. Least of which was being on the ocean tends to make women's clothes fall off.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

I just did my first on oil change on the truck...piece of cake. The beauty of an oil change with this truck is it's clearance. I remember with my previous cars I had to run them up on ramps...not with this truck. Slide under and get right to work...SWEET!

Royal Blue 5W30 and a K&N filter...great afternoon project.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Elcova Rookie

Agentorange is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantar

Just drain the oil in to a pan because the pumps don't get it all out.

When removing the filter, use regular Aluminum Foil and fold it to about 12"x12" square. Mold it around the area behind the oil filter and make a path so the oil flows to the pan instead of all over everyhting else around the filter. Work like a charm and keeps everything clean.

AO
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point

myself I take the skid plate off, it lets me grease it easier and the oil doesn't make such a mess. I use a 55 gallon drum to store my old oil. then I have a couple buddies who heat their shops with it in winter, they come haul it away and bring me a fresh barrel.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org