H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Issues with the H2?

I have a new to me '03 H2 SUV, that the minute I got it home I started to experience almost every problem that I have seen on the internet

- The shifter cable slipped off the shifter lever link, basically keeping me in reverse. Luckily I was at the local oil change place, and within a few minutes of surfing on my phone, the mechanic there was able to rig the truck so i could get home.

- The key got stuck in the ignition, so after pulling apart the steering column, I was able to push the button to get it "un-stuck". (Thank You flashoffroad.com)

and a few other minor ones

SO......
I am just wondering if there are anything else I might need to look out for and what other issues does this truck seem to have?
I figure since I am in a fixing mood with it, I might as well do all I can

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Issues with the H2?

I'm thinking both of the problems that you listed are related to one another...the former causing the latter; and since I never heard of the first problem I'd chalk it up as a fluke. You prolly got a real good truck...just be patient with it.

As for other known problems:
  • If you got air bags I hear the older ones are sometimes 'problematic'...coil spring swap will fix that
  • The trim on the side of the windshield may start to rattle...3M tape will fix that
  • If you plan on off-roading - and I'm not talking about driving down a dirt stretch to visit the swimming hole...I'm talking about articulating over rocks, forcing the truck onto weird angles, generally just throwing its weight around going over stuff - then you prolly wanna get some stronger tie rods (Kryptonite would be my suggestion)
  • I haven't seen this reported on the forum, but I've been suspecting that mine's had a gas leak since the day I bought it...but I just can't track it down...so keep an eye on your gas gauge. LOL.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 AM

You really never heard of the shifter cable slipping off the link and making the truck stuck in gear?
It is due to the plastic bushing getting hot and and disintergrating.
Still no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
[*]I haven't seen this reported on the forum, but I've been suspecting that mine's had a gas leak since the day I bought it...but I just can't track it down...so keep an eye on your gas gauge. LOL.[/list]

- at first i was reading this and going oh great...... then it hit me.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

racer24 is on a distinguished road

The only trouble I've had with mine too is the leaky gas tank. Watch the wiper motor getting wet and wipers wont shut off and wiper fluid will empty itself quite rapidly. It's really kinda funny to see it happen. There's a thread on here to show you how to fix it.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer24
The only trouble I've had with mine too is the leaky gas tank. Watch the wiper motor getting wet and wipers wont shut off and wiper fluid will empty itself quite rapidly. It's really kinda funny to see it happen. There's a thread on here to show you how to fix it.
Right! Non-stop wiper motor happened to me once too after several days of continuous rain. This can be easily fixed permanently by cracking the control unit open and resealing it with some good sealant...it's just a pain the ass to remove the cowl to do the job (it's an even bigger pain in the ass to get the cowl back on with all the clips lined up properly)
Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 AM

does this apply to every year h2?

(why is it all the good vehicles have problems like this, and all the vehicles that are ehhhhh you dont hear too many problems about. ie toyotas and such)

(ok, bad example hehehe)
Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
does this apply to every year h2?
Dunno for sure...I'm in an 05 and it happened to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

After two windshield replacements from rocks, no one believes you when you tell them the plastic pieces need to be glued or taped with double mastic, because the plastic rattles like crazy if it isn't secured. I use the come to your house service and two of them have tried to tell me it's not necessary to double mastic the plastic. They just want to get in and out as cheaply and fast as possible. One of the hazards of living on a country gravel and rock road, but in the winter and mud, it's where my H2 shines.
Ignition module problems were common on the '05 and earlier models, and most thought the stuck key was from a low battery voltage, which it was in many cases.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

I've done the wiper fix to 3 of my 4 H2's. One was 03 and two were 05.

Don't forget about the guage cluster going bad. Speedometer will read WAY incorrectly (quite a shock when you look down and it says you're doing 95mph through town ) I hear there is a guy on eBay that will sell you a refurbished one if you send him your bad one. Buying new ones are pricey. I had one that started to act up but traded that truck in before I fixed it.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaHumBug
...Don't forget about the guage cluster going bad. Speedometer will read WAY incorrectly (quite a shock when you look down and it says you're doing 95mph through town ) I hear there is a guy on eBay that will sell you a refurbished one if you send him your bad one. Buying new ones are pricey. I had one that started to act up but traded that truck in before I fixed it.
First I've read about that one...

...of course, then there's the issue with all the stupid incandescent backlights for the instruments and various buttons. Those little bulbs seem to be designed to last about 2 years...LOL. I finally have every control lit except for one...the rear wiper.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM

I am wondering if they go out because of heat built up?
If so, would maybe switching to an LED type light work better?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

glennf1 is on a distinguished road

Preventive maintenace will keep your bills and headaches down in the future. Change the tranny and t case fluid to Dexron VI, both diffs to a good quality synthetic, flush coolant with Dex-Cool (not universal fluid), and lube ALL chassis fittings, ball joints, tie rods, idler and pittman arms.