H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default some newb questions

Hey all,
Well I have some newbie questions since my search has not given me any data.

Ok, Here we go :-p

1) What is the tallest and widest tire and wheel combo you can put on our trucks without a lift and without messing up the suspension?

2) If the air ride goes out, is there a replacement for it that is or isnt air ride that doesnt cost 2000 (or whatever I saw it cost to replace)?

3)
- a) I left my sunroof open yesterday and it rained out. (I know I know, you cant imagine how much I have kicked myself in the butt already). So of course, I come back to a flooded car. Now it wasnt like the Porsche in Risky Business flooded but the carpet was definitely squishy with water. I soaked it up and then shop vac'd the rest (well as much as I could), then I sprayed a industrial strength mold/mildew/ odor cleaner heavily on the carpet. I am thinking about having the steam cleaner guys come out and do their stuff on it today. If it doesnt work, where can I get new padding and maybe even carpet from (at a inexpensive price). I know there are dealers and companies for my Vette that sell really cheap, I figure there has to be for the H2.

- b) How do you remove the seats? It has nut that looks like a torx pattern but in reverse (meaning that it is the shape of the torx head tool, and not actually what the tool fits into). I have read that a normal socket should fit it, but I just want to make sure.

4) Are there any little tricks and tips for cheap or free mods? I know in my Toyota Tundra there was a free mod to allow the rear window to roll all the way down and up without stopping in the middle. I am wondering if there is somethign like that for the H2. Maybe the sunroof (since mine stops one inch from fully open then I need to push the button again to have it fully open). If there any performance tips, or anything else?

5) Is there any ways to make a inflater hose kit? Mine didnt come with it, so I figured I can make one?

6) I would like to lift it eventually but I dont want to go too radical. I have seen some that are and though they look nice, I doubt it is what I want. So I was thinking about 3-6 inches. What is the best way to do this? What is the cheapest way to do this? Do Chevy parts mate to our truck and if so which? Does anyone have any pictures?

7) Do Chevy parts work on our truck since I knw most of it is Chevy/GMC anyways.

Thanks all
Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: some newb questions

Congratulations and enjoy it!
3. If your Body Control Module (BCM) got wet, you're going to notice your H2 doing strange things, like the windows going down by themselves and the seat heaters acting up. It's a plug in to replace and it's subject to humidity and wet soak problems.
5. I've seen the factory inflator kits on EBay many times. Just be patient and keep your eye out for them on EBay. You might find a GM dealer that has one NOS because they're really not that expensive, even at dealer prices.
6. Before you lift it and put on the big tires, think about changing the gears or supercharging, because big tires really hurt the performance.
7. GM/Chevy parts work on the engine and transmission, but some of the suspension and drivetrain parts are unique to AMGeneral.

You're not going to ingratiate yourself to many H2 owners by telling them it's mainly a Chevy. If you read up on what AM General did in the manufacturing, you will find the frame is like no other GM product out there and was made to take the extra punishment of offroading. H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight. The air inducition system was the product of years of experience with the H1 and modified several times before it went into final production on the H2. If you go the snorkel route like several have you will loose performance, but no one is sure why.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
3. If your Body Control Module (BCM) got wet, you're going to notice your H2 doing strange things, like the windows going down by themselves and the seat heaters acting up. It's a plug in to replace and it's subject to humidity and wet soak problems.
You're not going to ingratiate yourself to many H2 owners by telling them it's mainly a Chevy.

I think that's what happened to my BCM, the floor got wet and with the humidity it went haywire. Luckily it was replaced under warranty.
+1 on the Chevy comment.

If you use the search function you will find there are over 80 threads on how big a tire can I put on my H2.
The search function is your friend.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you read up on what AM General did in the manufacturing, you will find the frame is like no other GM product out there and was made to take the extra punishment of offroading. H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight. The air inducition system was the product of years of experience with the H1 and modified several times before it went into final production on the H2.
Very nicely put...

Last edited by guruerror : 02-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

2) If the air ride goes out, is there a replacement for it that is or isnt air ride that doesnt cost 2000 (or whatever I saw it cost to replace)?

Coils...I have all the part numbers somewhere when I switched from air springs to coils. 2 coils, 4 insulators, and an airline splice.

5) Is there any ways to make a inflater hose kit? Mine didnt come with it, so I figured I can make one?

I have the factory hose kit from my '03 if you're looking for one.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
1) What is the tallest and widest tire and wheel combo you can put on our trucks without a lift and without messing up the suspension?

4) Are there any little tricks and tips for cheap or free mods? I know in my Toyota Tundra there was a free mod to allow the rear window to roll all the way down and up without stopping in the middle. I am wondering if there is somethign like that for the H2. Maybe the sunroof (since mine stops one inch from fully open then I need to push the button again to have it fully open). If there any performance tips, or anything else?
1) I agree with HummerMann...there are a LOT of threads on this; here's a search to get you started: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...earchid=358029

EDIT: The links to searches stop working after a while...the above search was for "tires torsion crank"

A quick answer would be: with stock rims (5.5" backspace) 37x12.5 will fit but likely rub just a bit at full lock. If you go with aftermarket rims they typically have a shallower backspace (less wheel 'under' the truck...more wheel sticking out from your fenders); they usually have a 4.5" backspace, so you MIGHT be able to go to a 13.5 on the width. Check out the threads in the search I posted above.

4) I'd love an 'express' open for the sunroof...I always thought it was weird that it stopped short like that.

Last edited by guruerror : 02-13-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
5. I've seen the factory inflator kits on EBay many times. Just be patient and keep your eye out for them on EBay. You might find a GM dealer that has one NOS because they're really not that expensive, even at dealer prices.
6. Before you lift it and put on the big tires, think about changing the gears or supercharging, because big tires really hurt the performance.
7. GM/Chevy parts work on the engine and transmission, but some of the suspension and drivetrain parts are unique to AMGeneral.

You're not going to ingratiate yourself to many H2 owners by telling them it's mainly a Chevy. If you read up on what AM General did in the manufacturing, you will find the frame is like no other GM product out there and was made to take the extra punishment of offroading. H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight. The air inducition system was the product of years of experience with the H1 and modified several times before it went into final production on the H2. If you go the snorkel route like several have you will loose performance, but no one is sure why.

Jim (and others),
I didnt mean that it was just a rebody truck. I looked into this truck also and found out all the same that Jim explained (except for the snorkel). I just mean that in my research for lifting and repairing, I have seen people use and talk about GM parts (as those from another vehicle). So I guess I should have put more of an explanation in there, as in "What parts can I use from a Chevy or GMC to help repair my truck (since not all parts say Hummer on them, and usually all parts that say Hummer have a bigger price tag)".

Where would the BCM be at?
I have a Vette and it has a diagnostics / code reader out on the dash under the speedo, does the H2 have anything like this? Or do I need to buy a reader? I know the display looks the same as my Vette.

RasterMaster,
Did it change the ride any when you changed over? And if you have the part numbers that would be awesome.
As for the inflator kit, what are you asking for it?

How much does a BCM cost and also, when would I start noticing things happen?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
1) I agree with HummerMann...there are a LOT of threads on this; here's a search to get you started: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...earchid=358029

A quick answer would be: with stock rims (5.5" backspace) 37x12.5 will fit but likely rub just a bit at full lock. If you go with aftermarket rims they typically have a shallower backspace (less wheel 'under' the truck...more wheel sticking out from your fenders); they usually have a 4.5" backspace, so you MIGHT be able to go to a 13.5 on the width. Check out the threads in the search I posted above.

4) I'd love an 'express' open for the sunroof...I always thought it was weird that it stopped short like that.

- Thanks for the help. Obviously some people didnt believe me when I stated I used the "search", but I guess if you dont put in the right words it wont search correctly for you. The info you gave me was alot better then what I recovered, which was mostly about extreme lifted trucks and wheels.

As for the express open, I wonder if it isnt something like my Tundra's rear window? The rear window would do the same thing, and it turned out there was just a plastic piece (I think since it has been so long ago that I did that mod) that you remove from the track. If someone could get me a blow up / parts break down picture of the sunroof with the track I could see and we might have the workings of an express open mod.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Hummer Authority

I have to agree with what you said that the search function su*ks here. I go to google and type in "elcova forums h2 tire size" or "BCM elcova forums" - it works much better. I know what you were saying about the parts being mainly GM and as a fellow Corvette guy, I was just giving you a newbie hard time - no offense, because we've all been in your shoes.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
RasterMaster,
Did it change the ride any when you changed over? And if you have the part numbers that would be awesome.

In addition to the stock coil springs (GM-25956182 & GM-25956183) and four insulators (GM-15713853) purchased from GM parts direct, the only other part was an airline coupling (Gates part # G31400-0404) which was used to splice the two lines together - can be obtained at O'Reilly or other Auto parts store.

http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/mobile/mobile-auto-part-details.asp?prod=GAT-G31400-0404

It fools the system into thinking there are still air springs installed and leaves the system in place in case I wanted to go with air springs in the future (I kept the air spring supports and bolts - just in case). Once the air springs were pulled out, I learned that where the air springs fold over on themselves, a metal ring in the middle of the bag was causing the premature wearing and leaks to develop. Also, one line had a kink or a wear spot that was causing leakage above the air spring and intermittent sagging even when the air springs were replaced.

I wanted to use the stock system for air-assisted coil springs (air bags inside the coils) but was told by the manufacturer that the pressures from the air-ride system would burst the assist bags. There is a kit that utilizes a lighter compressor but requires installation of a gauge and switch to monitor and control the system. I may investigate the air-assist again in the future, but for now being rid of the air springs was top priority.

Although I left all remaining air suspension components in place, some instructions I found online:

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/instructions/99G-30-R.pdf

http://www.arnottindustries.com/file.asp?Manual=TRUE&ProductID=480&Size=SMALL

I did not do any towing or offroading after the install, but there wasn't any substantial difference in the ride to make me ever want to go back to air springs.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with what you said that the search function su*ks here. I go to google and type in "elcova forums h2 tire size" or "BCM elcova forums" - it works much better. I know what you were saying about the parts being mainly GM and as a fellow Corvette guy, I was just giving you a newbie hard time - no offense, because we've all been in your shoes.

Jim, that was barely a hard time.
Trust me I have been in enough of these forums to know the adults from the kids.

BTW, what year Vette do you have?

Also, besides the drive train (which I would cross reference to what?)
What other parts would cross reference to other GM vehicles.
Sadly it seems that you can find alot for the GM truck, but not alot for HUMMERs unless you are specific.

Lastly, do you know any places that sell cheap OEM parts?. Like I know the Vette guys have one, and i am assuming we have one too since I am sure GM is the company to by replacement parts from
Old 02-03-2012, 04:41 PM

RasterMaster,
Do you have a rough estimate of what it cost for you to do this?
Also, with the air springs out and the hose coupled, were you still able to use the air inflator function in the rear ?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Hummer Authority

"BTW, what year Vette do you have?"

My driver is a 2002 Corvette, I take it to Corvettes at Carlisle every year, except last year when it got flooded out by hurricane Irene. I also have a Milano Maroon 1965 396 Corvette with factory side pipes, one repaint but otherwise pretty original, that I've owned since new in my Air Force days - yep, I'm an old fart. I have an entire filing drawer in my metal cabinet with receipts for tires, batteries, warranty work etc done on it over the years. I've had several Corvettes and I'm partial to the C2s, but love the way the 2002 drives.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Yeah I have had a C4 and a C5.
Yep I love my C5. It is far from stock and I too have a 3 inch binder full of receipts.
I would like to have a C2, but I dont have the time or the money to buy one or to resto it.

I am already knee deep into my H2, 99 S/C'ed Vette and 04 S/C'ed M3.
Everyone of them has a basket full of parts to go on or having an issue.

BTW,
Do you know where I can get a new floor padding cheap for my H2?
It turns out that the sponge that was called my floor pad had to be ripped out.
So I need some new.
I just spin it positive and think hey this is a good time to wire up my flashers for my fire department lights and wire a sub woofer into the stock head unit for a little extra punch.