H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 01-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Elcova Newbie

JeffShoots is off the scale

Predator Page

I have a nice '99 H1, 4Door w/bed, Blk, 6.5TD, TT4, CTIS, Winch the works. I love my truck and use it as a DD for the last 5 years but only have about 31k miles on it and 18K on the new updated 6.5TD replaced under warrenty.

I do however use it for the occasional long trip and can see the up side of 2wd, MPG, power, and tire life.
Anybody here have a conversion? Why the 5-speed Allison and not the 6-speed? 22mpg possible? or is that down hill. Cost about 40~50k?

I would think about getting the new '06 but they don't have my body style anymore? I love the hard top 4door w/bed or slant but that is not made anymore?
What is the MPG on the new '06 H1 Duramax? and could you make it 2wd for the hyw?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 01-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Their is a guy in Arizona that is converting his factory slantback to a duramax. I am not sure what stage he is at though.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

JnStitz is off the scale

Go to your dealer, you can still order any style you want, just be prepared to pay for it.

And just my thoughts...it takes a lot of gas and tires to equal the 50k investment. But, as far as power is concerned its worth it.

-Jon
Old 01-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Charles Piper makes a front propshaft disconnect that will allow for 2wd operation. It is a highly refined product, simple to install, and virtually unbreakable.

You can reach him here:

piper52658@msn.com

Tell him Dave with the black "Harley" wagon referred you.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]Originally posted by GMPartsGuy:
Charles Piper makes a front propshaft disconnect that will allow for 2wd operation. It is a highly refined product, simple to install, and virtually unbreakable.

-------------------------------------

Why???, even if you disconect you'll still be turning the front diff. so what's the advantage????
Old 01-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Ground hawg:

Why???, even if you disconect you'll still be turning the front diff. so what's the advantage????

The advantage is the reduced power required to "power" the diff/axles/geared hub. It also saves the steering components from that additional strain, thereby improving longevity. You would see an increase of about 2mpg.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I'm lost. the front diff and shaft are still moving becouse there being turned by the front wheels, the front wheels are turning becouse there being pushed from the rear. therfor there is no change in resistance becouse all components are still being rotated therfor the loss of power must be =. if you had free wheeling hubs this would remove resistance from front gears as there would be no turning moment, downsid to this is you would also lose your front breaks??
Old 01-19-2006, 03:53 AM
Hummer Expert

The tire/hub/axleshaft still are connected so you still have brakes, you just don't have power being delivered to the front diff. It is not as if the axle is broken and there is no connection to the tire. You put the t/case in high lock and you effectively have rear wheel drive because all the power is being delivered to the rear. Brakes are unaffected.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Winneconne is off the scale

WOW on the 2 wheel lock out. What kinda of cost savings are we talking about?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Winneconne:
WOW on the 2 wheel lock out. What kinda of cost savings are we talking about?

I'd figure about 80 gallons of fuel saved over the course of a year, increased tire & steering component longevity...it would pay for itself in 2-3 years.