H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 06-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default My Love/Hate Relationship with the H1

Ok, I have finally started to actually go off-road for real, like on trails where I have to climb rocks which activate the traction system, or require the rear diff, or have deep mud in the middle of nowhere. I have found (at least here in CO) one common denominator for most trails, be them easy or difficult: narrowness. My H2 is scratched to pieces, mostly from a trip down a road that was probably meant for ATV's, where aspens were so tight my mirrors had to fold in or die. The H3 did much better, fitting through everything, and climbing over anything.

So what does this have to do with an H1? Well, there was a time when they were in production. Now, they're not. So there's now going to be a limited supply. Anyway, if I ever had one, I would probably never take it off-road. I mean, it's a collectors item now, how could I damage it? And from what I have experienced, it would be just too darn wide. Tight spots would equal scratches, and forget about passing.

Now I'm sure the H1 has it's place. Moab, for example, where width might be less of a concern, though I don't know since I've never been there... Or the desert, with soft sand, the CTIS is great, and the wide track should keep it afloat. And 16" ground clearance is hard to complain about. But for my intents and purposes (and those in probably most places), the H1 seems oversized. Even my H2 seems too big sometimes, and it's got ugly, deep scratches to prove it.

I bet you'll all call me a sissy for not wanting scratches on my Hummer. But I like to have it look like a million bucks when clean, and on blue my scratches really show up. It takes a lot of wax to make them hide between washings.

However sad I feel that the H1 is now nostalgia, I can understand why it's gone. I also feel that I don't think I would ever want to use one for going off-road. I'd probably just drive it around town! And that defeats it's entire purpose. I would be the jerk who bought it just because it was rare and cool. The thing would probably drive away to trails on it's own at night. I'd be like so many Defender owners I see around here.

I guess my point is that I love to love the H1, and I hate to dislike it. But it polarizes my thoughts about it everytime I go out and imagine what it would be like to have one. So there's my new mindless fodder for this forum.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Love/Hate Relationship with the H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubs
Ok, I have finally started to actually go off-road for real, like on trails where I have to climb rocks which activate the traction system, or require the rear diff, or have deep mud in the middle of nowhere. I have found (at least here in CO) one common denominator for most trails, be them easy or difficult: narrowness. My H2 is scratched to pieces, mostly from a trip down a road that was probably meant for ATV's, where aspens were so tight my mirrors had to fold in or die. The H3 did much better, fitting through everything, and climbing over anything.

So what does this have to do with an H1? Well, there was a time when they were in production. Now, they're not. So there's now going to be a limited supply. Anyway, if I ever had one, I would probably never take it off-road. I mean, it's a collectors item now, how could I damage it? And from what I have experienced, it would be just too darn wide. Tight spots would equal scratches, and forget about passing.

Now I'm sure the H1 has it's place. Moab, for example, where width might be less of a concern, though I don't know since I've never been there... Or the desert, with soft sand, the CTIS is great, and the wide track should keep it afloat. And 16" ground clearance is hard to complain about. But for my intents and purposes (and those in probably most places), the H1 seems oversized. Even my H2 seems too big sometimes, and it's got ugly, deep scratches to prove it.

I bet you'll all call me a sissy for not wanting scratches on my Hummer. But I like to have it look like a million bucks when clean, and on blue my scratches really show up. It takes a lot of wax to make them hide between washings.

However sad I feel that the H1 is now nostalgia, I can understand why it's gone. I also feel that I don't think I would ever want to use one for going off-road. I'd probably just drive it around town! And that defeats it's entire purpose. I would be the jerk who bought it just because it was rare and cool. The thing would probably drive away to trails on it's own at night. I'd be like so many Defender owners I see around here.

I guess my point is that I love to love the H1, and I hate to dislike it. But it polarizes my thoughts about it everytime I go out and imagine what it would be like to have one. So there's my new mindless fodder for this forum.

The thing about hummers and offroading is that... hummers rock. a big blinged up hummer will draw as much attention as anything not made in italy (at least here where they aren't as common as they might be in some places). And they look good, and they're comfy & all of that.

Nobody would want a scratch on their ferrari or rolls, or their 12 cylinder german lux-mobile, or their Range Rover or their AMG G series.

So i say if anybody wants their big beautiful expensive hummer to not get maimed, cool.

And its as good of a bling-vessel as any vehicle under the sun, so if somebody wants to get 24" wheels, a lowering kit, and send their offroad capabilities into the seventh level of hell, well, cool.

Its perhaps the worlds most versatile vehicle (the H2). Its comfortable in the luxury-car sense, its offroad capable, its sexy in the "look at me" sense going far beyond its cost and rarity in attention-drawing, its great all stereo/blinged up, its great jacked up for offroading, etc. and so on.

There are probably 1,000 ways to make an insanely great hummer, some of which involve mutilating it offroad as a demonstration of its capabilities, some of which involve hanging shiny things on it as a demonstration of the fact that you're comin down the street. To each his own.

Me, i'd like to be the guy who miraculously made it through one of those trails w/o ruining my blinged up ride. Because offroading is really, really fun. But so are beautiful new hummers.

i need counseling at once

Last edited by 31_bandits : 06-02-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Hummer Professional

I've been opndering buying an H1 for a couple of months. I guess when my H2 proved to be more enjoyable to own than i had expected, i caught the hummer bug.

My intention was always to offroad with it alongside the H2 to see what the H1 could do that the H2 couldn't & just cruise around with it once in a while just because. Its a part of american culture, love it or hate it, and why not be a part of it?

I haven't worried about scratching it offroad. Most of the offroad chances i get don't involve oceans of rock or trees, but steep hills & open fields & various rocks and all of that. And though i've only been off the road a handful of times, each of those times the H2s width was a PLUS. Width = stability to no small extent, and alot of the challenging things couldn't have been done in a little narrow vehicle like a jeep (much less a lifted one). tipsies. So i guess i was thinking of the H1s width as a plus...

But, they won't get easier to attain than now as time goes by, and it would quite a thing to have sitting somewhere for once-in-a-while. You can always buy another benz or porsche or ferrari, and they'll always be cool, we may never see something quite like the H1 was when it hit the streets ever again (or something like what the H2 is now with all the controversy and all)

I remember the first time i saw one - on my way to a family reunion at some hotel, those things were wildly rare then having existing only a year or 2 or 3 or whatever it was. It was just completely ridiculous. I can't say i liked it - my brother-in-law was going ape over it - but man was it THERE.

Man you thought you were rambling, i'm going to get arrested for this. But as you describe, i also am having mixed feelings about buying an H1

an H1 that you can't risk damaging? sounds kind of wrong in a way
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I just plain want one. Part of the reason for having them in my opinion is because they are so rediculous. If you can afford to buy it and maintain it, get it and use it however you chose. Remember body shops are on every corner
Old 06-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

is it really that expensive to re-paint if you sell it? Body parts are pretty cheap from the factory too. As long as AMG is making humvees, parts are readily available.

Ron B
Old 06-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB
is it really that expensive to re-paint if you sell it? Body parts are pretty cheap from the factory too. As long as AMG is making humvees, parts are readily available.

Ron B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrlvr
I just plain want one. Part of the reason for having them in my opinion is because they are so rediculous. If you can afford to buy it and maintain it, get it and use it however you chose. Remember body shops are on every corner

you guys might be right - the thought of not bruising your H1 because they are out of production might not, at its core, really make sense.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

Here is more food for thought to help you ponder.....

I started out with a very blinged H2 three years ago. After 6 months of making giant payments, I decided it was time to find out what it could do. After the first time I went out and got it stuck, and got it stuck again, I was hooked! After a year and a half of off-roading with it, then going to a Hummer Club event and watching the H1's, I knew I had to have one. It was a win-win. I could save my H2 as my daily driver, get it buffed out, and keep my bling-bling shiny. After researching for about a month I bought the H1. I have had it for about a year and a half and love it. I know there is always a huge debate about which one is better and here is how I see it - there are obstacles and off-roading that I would only do in the H1, but there are also advantages to the H2. I think you can see a little better when you are sitting up much higher. There has only been a few times that the H1 was able to do an obstacle that the H2 could not. The H2 is a little slimmer, so that is an advantage. After a week of hard off-roading in the H1, I get back into the H2 and always think how luxurious and smooth it is!! I could NEVER drive the H1 every day. It's too wide and rough. I definatley get more looks and waves when I'm in the H1. I do feel safer off-roading in the H1 and do not feel like it will roll. I do feel like the H2 would roll, but that is because of its height.

As far as narrow trails--I've done more damage to the H2 than the H1. With the H1, you just run everything over. I've had it buffed out and it looked great. My rock tubes have saved me over and over. Rubber Duck needs to make rock tubes for the H2!!

The issue about parts was a good point, but there is still a gov contract for many years to supply HMMWV's, and a lot of the parts and not specific to just the H1, so I think this will not be a problem for many, many years.

Yes, the maintenance is expensive, but well worth every penny. I have been very fortunate to afford both and I hope I never have to make a choice between them.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

hmcoleap is on a distinguished road

Interesting monologue, Aubs.

Keep in mind that a stock H1 is nearly 20" shorter in length than an H2 w/ a tire carrier (it is even a tad shorter in length than the H3 in its OEM configuration!) With the front wheels WAY out front, and the rear wheels way at the back, it has a turning radius that is quite good. The H1 is also not as tall as an H2, and its ridgid independent suspension keeps it from leaning much - which keeps the top corners away from leaning into rocks or trees at the top corners. Double the ground clearance means that the H1 can straddle obstacles and take lines that other vehicles can't.

What does all this have to do with width? Well, you can squeeze a shorter vehicle that turns very well through gaps quite well, even when it is a bit wider (about 5" wider than an H2) - especially when that vehicle can straddle tall rocks or stumps instead of being forced into a specific line.

Bottom line is that the H1 is oversized in width, but it is smaller than the H2 in virtually every other specification - which makes it clear quite well on trails... much better than most people imagine. I do almost all of my wheeling in tightly wooded trails, and the Hummer performs great out there. 9 times out of 10, before I go in the Jeep guys all tell me "you can't get that thing through there, it is way too narrow." By taking the right angles I can usually make it through these "impossibly narrow" trails without more than a gentle brush from a few leaves, and with a couple of inches to spare on both sides between tree trunks. Sometimes it will take a 3-point, 5-point or even 7-point turn to get there - but it gets through just fine.

As for scratches - they are all just trucks. If you can live with forest pin-striping on your H2, why not on an H1? If you can't live with scratches on either... stay out of the woods!

-Manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubs
Ok, I have finally started to actually go off-road for real... one common denominator for most trails, be them easy or difficult: narrowness. My H2 is scratched to pieces, mostly from a trip down a road that was probably meant for ATV's, where aspens were so tight my mirrors had to fold in or die. The H3 did much better, fitting through everything, and climbing over anything.

...the H1 seems oversized. Even my H2 seems too big sometimes, and it's got ugly, deep scratches to prove it.

...I also feel that I don't think I would ever want to use one for going off-road. I'd probably just drive it around town! And that defeats it's entire purpose. I would be the jerk who bought it just because it was rare and cool. The thing would probably drive away to trails on it's own at night. I'd be like so many Defender owners I see around here.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
http://www.serious4x4.com
Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

The way I see it is once the paint is scraped off you have another 1mm of side clearance

No collecter's item here

Life is to serious, wheel for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcoleap
Interesting monologue, Aubs.

Keep in mind that a stock H1 is nearly 20" shorter in length than an H2 w/ a tire carrier (it is even a tad shorter in length than the H3 in its OEM configuration!) With the front wheels WAY out front, and the rear wheels way at the back, it has a turning radius that is quite good. The H1 is also not as tall as an H2, and its ridgid independent suspension keeps it from leaning much - which keeps the top corners away from leaning into rocks or trees at the top corners. Double the ground clearance means that the H1 can straddle obstacles and take lines that other vehicles can't.

What does all this have to do with width? Well, you can squeeze a shorter vehicle that turns very well through gaps quite well, even when it is a bit wider (about 5" wider than an H2) - especially when that vehicle can straddle tall rocks or stumps instead of being forced into a specific line.

Bottom line is that the H1 is oversized in width, but it is smaller than the H2 in virtually every other specification - which makes it clear quite well on trails... much better than most people imagine. I do almost all of my wheeling in tightly wooded trails, and the Hummer performs great out there. 9 times out of 10, before I go in the Jeep guys all tell me "you can't get that thing through there, it is way too narrow." By taking the right angles I can usually make it through these "impossibly narrow" trails without more than a gentle brush from a few leaves, and with a couple of inches to spare on both sides between tree trunks. Sometimes it will take a 3-point, 5-point or even 7-point turn to get there - but it gets through just fine.

As for scratches - they are all just trucks. If you can live with forest pin-striping on your H2, why not on an H1? If you can't live with scratches on either... stay out of the woods!

-Manny

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

I've had my H3 for a year now and have wanted an H1 since I saw one at a media launch in 1992. (Little Rock Dam in the Antelope Valley CA) Anyway, my wife and I take 3 wheeling trips a year (California, Utah, Colorado this year) and four wheel maybe 10 other days in the Phoenix area.

I can afford to buy and maintain a good used one so that's not an issue.
Now for the question.

I will be driving the H1 everyday to work which is a 30 mile round trip and we would drive it on the vacations we take. I have put 20k miles on the H3 this year but would probably only put 12k per year on the H1 because I have access to a company car.

To those of you who have an H1 would you drive it that much and be happy and comfortable with it?

Thanks for any help you can be.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketcat
I've had my H3 for a year now and have wanted an H1 since I saw one at a media launch in 1992. (Little Rock Dam in the Antelope Valley CA) Anyway, my wife and I take 3 wheeling trips a year (California, Utah, Colorado this year) and four wheel maybe 10 other days in the Phoenix area.

Now for the question.

I will be driving the H1 everyday to work which is a 30 mile round trip and we would drive it on the vacations we take. I have put 20k miles on the H3 this year but would probably only put 12k per year on the H1 because I have access to a company car.

To those of you who have an H1 would you drive it that much and be happy and comfortable with it?

I bought mine a month ago and have been living in it ever since - I think I have driven my M3 once since I picked up the H1. Does that help
Old 06-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been an owner since 2003, and I'm on my second truck. Between the two I have logged over 40,000 miles. Does that help?

-007=
Old 06-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C
I bought mine a month ago and have been living in it ever since - I think I have driven my M3 once since I picked up the H1. Does that help

Hahahaha! Now that's telling us something. There is an AWESOME H1 here down in Edwards that a woman drives. It's black, I think it has a nice Gobi rack, and just looks like a million bucks every time I see it. It's always spotless. It makes me drool. The interior is tan, so it must be a pre-2002 I think, because the last of the tan interiors were put into the 10th SE. It's sad, because I HATE gray interiors, and I love tan. I wish the tan was still around. I like the Morocco though (probably one of the few). However, I think an ALPHA is the only one I'd ever want, because, as I said before, it would be like a ten year car.

But let me say this: I was talking to my 'buddy' at Lynch the other day, and he's got a hunch the H1 will return in 2-3 years, probably significantly improved. I wouldn't doubt it. He said sales have picked up a bit on them, now that they're headed buh-byes.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

My soft-top was a daily driver for years, but that was before I started to wheel it very hard and make some mods. With more aggressive tires, doors that don't close tight like they used to, and a soft-top that is on rails that aren't straight, it is no longer a "wonderful commuter." It was a better commuter than my Jeep Wrangler was in terms of smooth ride and wind/road noise, etc.

No matter how you slice it, even in brand new mint condition, an H1 is going to be less comfortable than an H2 or H3 as a daily driver; it is a class III truck with creature comforts retrofitted into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketcat

Now for the question.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Manny it is hard to have an H1 as a commuter vehicle when you have no windshield
Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I drove a 02 H1 for 6 months as a dealer demo. Went to 3 advanced Hummer schools for Hummer Mgmnt. training. I loved it and If I had the means to keep one I would drive it every day. It is a love or hate relationship. All the people here love them. The debate can go on as to what some opnions are on which is better but the H1 will never really go away. Look for a replacement from GM or a re-birth of the H1 later depending on the eco of the times. H1 owners should be very happy they are stopping production for retail. This will drive up value, and make them even more special when you see one on the road.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Well, after wheeling today, (which I would link to but a certain someone has yet to post pictures!!! You aren't allowed to have a life outside of the forum! ) I have changed my whole perspective on the H1. It's amazing what one experience with one will do. Nomogmpg's H1 is a fine machine. It was so fun to watch it climb up nearly everything. Granted, he has 24" of ground clearance. But it was a beautiful machine, and really even though it was scratched up, still a sight to behold.

I think the most telling moment came on the way out. There was a kid standing long the trail and he's got a camera phone out. So I go over this rocky ledge, and hang there thinking he wants a picture. Well, he walks right on past and takes a picture of Nomogmpg behind me!!! So, I think simply in the interest of getting laid, maybe I should just buy a used H1. I imagine it will probably not lose too much of it's value, and might even gain some if I don't beat it too much. And the scratches seem to be repelled somewhat by Maguire's wax, so that will keep the scratches down. But after scraping my stock H2 today (which didn't do any damage), I realized it would be nice to have the H1, and take the plunge.

I hate indecision.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

My windshield is still there... just because it folds down doesn't mean it is never up!

It does have some interesting spiderwebs in it on the passenger side, though, from a suicidal highway rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhagman
Manny it is hard to have an H1 as a commuter vehicle when you have no windshield

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com