H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GM Said to Not Win Chinese Approval for Hummer Sale (Update2)

By Katie Merx
Feb. 23 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co. failed to win approval from Chinese regulators to sell its Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co., said two people briefed on the deal.
A government agency indicated that it won?t provide approval for Chengdu, China-based Tengzhong to purchase the Hummer line of sport-utility vehicles from GM in China, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the decision hasn?t been made public.
The deal may be completed offshore, the people said. Regulators said they won?t block a transaction closed elsewhere, one person said. Suolang Duoji, Tengzhong?s investment partner in pursuing Hummer, has holdings that include 38 percent of Hong Kong-based Lumena Resources Corp., according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Lumena is incorporated in the Cayman Islands.
?The key element here is that both parties want to do the deal,? said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts. ?None of these deals to sell car brands are simple. If they still want to do it, it?s still possible it will happen.?
Acquiring Hummer would propel Tengzhong, a closely held maker with products including bridge parts, into the passenger- vehicle industry. The company has said it wants to expand Hummer into China and other expanding markets outside the U.S., which accounted for about two-thirds of the brand?s sales under GM.
Hummer CEO James Taylor and Christina Stenson, a spokeswoman for Tengzhong in New York, each declined to comment. Baodong Wang, a spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Washington, D.C., didn?t have an immediate comment.
To build and sell in China, Tengzhong would still need approval from Chinese regulatory and licensing agencies, according to the people.
Hummer is among four brands, along with Pontiac, Saab and Saturn, that Detroit-based GM is unloading to focus on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac in the U.S. after exiting bankruptcy on July 10.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GM Said to Not Win Chinese Approval for Hummer Sale (Update2)

This is the saga that never ends. I still want to see the Hummer brand continue, but if Tengzhong can't do it, I put my vote in for the owner of AM General. You know by now the price has gone way down, so Hummer could be purchased very reasonably, and at AM General they have a good track record for knowing how to build quality vehicles. As a bussinessman, it's obvious that Tengzhong has already invested millions in this, and wants to manufacture the Hummer, so I'm not totally sure they'll go down without a fight.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerMann
This is the saga that never ends. I still want to see the Hummer brand continue, but if Tengzhong can't do it, I put my vote in for the owner of AM General. You know by now the price has gone way down, so Hummer could be purchased very reasonably, and at AM General they have a good track record for knowing how to build quality vehicles. As a bussinessman, it's obvious that Tengzhong has already invested millions in this, and wants to manufacture the Hummer, so I'm not totally sure they'll go down without a fight.

Quote:

The deal may be completed offshore, the people said. Regulators said they won’t block a transaction closed elsewhere, one person said. Suolang Duoji, Tengzhong’s investment partner in pursuing Hummer, has holdings that include 38 percent of Hong Kong-based Lumena Resources Corp., according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Lumena is incorporated in the Cayman Islands.

Quote:

“The key element here is that both parties want to do the deal,”

It could still happen.... Or as you say ..AM General Could step up to the palte. I heard they are on their last round of orders for the "Humvee" (2620 Units") .. The Milatary has a new rig they want built. Who knows if AM General will get that contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5047776.story

Last edited by Viet Nam Vette : 02-23-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree I would love to see AMG get Hummer back and now that the Army is going to phase out the Hummer for the Army main truck. it would be a good time i think for them to jump in and bring Hummer Home.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

dvl57 is on a distinguished road
Default Hummer is officially winding down

From GM's website:

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...eb/0224_hummer

I guess there won't be a 2010 H2 model....or any other Hummers.

I wonder if the dealers will be closing their doors soon.

Its kind of hard to imagine no more Hummers.

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

sleeve is on a distinguished road

BREAKING: GM announces Hummer sale cannot be concluded, brand to be wound down
by Chris Paukert (RSS feed) on Feb 24th 2010 at 3:16PM

Although it has been evident for some time that General Motors' sale of its Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Co., Ltd., we didn't expect for word to come down today that the negotiations are dead and the brand will be wound down. Unfortunately, judging by a press release just issued by GM, that's exactly what will be happening. According to John Smith, GM's vice president of corporate planning and alliances,

"One year ago, General Motors announced that we were going to divest Hummer, as part of focusing our efforts on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac going forward. We have since considered a number of possibilities for Hummer along the way, and we are disappointed that the deal with Tengzhong could not be completed."

As we learned from the Saab sale saga, GM announcing that the brand will be wound down does not completely extinguish hope for another buyer to slip in in the 11th hour, but it does seem highly improbable that a new party will pick up where the negotiations with China's Tengzhong left off.

In the statement available after the jump, GM does not specify what killed the planned sale of the brand, but rumors in recent months suggested that the Chinese government was not keen to sign off on the deal. At the moment, it is unclear what will happen to Hummer's H2 and H3/H3T models, but it is likely that the tooling and manufacturing rights will be sold off to other companies. It is also unclear how many employees will be out of work as a result of the closure.

As with the wind-down of its Saturn and Pontiac brands, GM has pledged to honor Hummer warranties and continue to supply service and parts
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Sad news, very sad. Another American company down the tubes......
Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022401259.html
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

ughhhhh!!!

....glad I have one now, because they're only going to get harder to find now...in good shape that is.

Well, on to the next brand to get cut!

Now, how many dealers will be left in 6 months. Your local GM dealer will be diong the warranty work soon. ..at least that's what I expect.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

I missed this post before I started another..

But here is the link from the wsj

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...atestHeadlines

I just heard it on FOX report.

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
I missed this post before I started another..

But here is the link from the wsj

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...atestHeadlines

I just heard it on FOX report.

Subscriber only.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
ughhhhh!!!

....glad I have one now, because they're only going to get harder to find now...in good shape that is.

Well, on to the next brand to get cut!

Now, how many dealers will be left in 6 months. Your local GM dealer will be diong the warranty work soon. ..at least that's what I expect.

Harder to find? ummmm. Tons of h2 for sale under 30K. Do you think this will drive down the resale and the price of existing 2005-2007 h2's?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockStar
Harder to find? ummmm. Tons of h2 for sale under 30K. Do you think this will drive down the resale and the price of existing 2005-2007 h2's?
Drive down??!! Prices will slowly climb. No more will be made, they will slowly become collectible.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

This is sad, but I never really understood dealing with the Chinese anyhow, especially when they started talking about getting regulatory approval. Didnt they remember that the Chicoms dont have a free market society and that the way the green movement is working its way into every thing? I'm sad Hummer wont continue (for now) but once again disgusted with GM. They cant cant get anything right. I wonder of being government owned had anything to do with this out come, hmmmm.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Hummer Authority

I think some one will step up and go for HUMMER... Who else makes a rig like HUMMER.. Sure ther are the a few Multi 100K SUV's out there but none like the HUMMER H2 for the price.

Sometimes I wonder if the guys in the GM Board room are smoken Crack.
GM still has to sell off the tooling to some one for the H3... Don't know if AMG owns the tooling for the H2 or not but some one will buy it and continue to make spares.

Or maybe the off shore private deal will go down. I hope so... Hate to see the Beast Go.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a sad day around here and I was tempted to put some black bunting over the front door and wear my black arm band. I think we all thought there was a good chance of this happening, but just hoped someone would come to the rescue. Most of us shared an experience people will never have again, driving a new Hummer out of the showroom. I plan on keeping mine a LONG TIME. One thing for sure, you're going to see less and less of them on the streets through attrition.
This reminds me of when Packard went down the tubes. My dad was a big Packard fan and when they closed their doors he was visibly depressed for a while. If you're into cars and vehicles, it's like the passing of a good friend.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled
Drive down??!! Prices will slowly climb. No more will be made, they will slowly become collectible.

Yes.. drive down.I just don’t see this GM brand being any kinda collectible or one that will be highly sought after. They want them off the lots. The dealer here has had the same 8 h2's for sale for the last 8-10 months. I've seen an 07 Lux with 24,000miles price cut from $31,000 to $27500 in the last two weeks at the dealer here. I've also see an 05 lux with 50k sell for 23k. Only time will tell, but I hope some one picks them up. Such a fine vehicle

Last edited by StockStar : 02-25-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

It's a sad day for Hummer! The environmentalists and tree huggers got it in their sights and then gas prices went up. I'm just glad I've gotten to own two H2s, both new from the dealer and the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerMann
It's a sad day for Hummer! The environmentalists and tree huggers got it in their sights and then gas prices went up. I'm just glad I've gotten to own two H2s, both new from the dealer and the best vehicles I've ever owned.

I say this is AMERICA.. Drive what you want...I too am a little sad that no one has stepped up yet to do something with HUMMER ....but I haven't given up yet.

Now If I hit the Power Ball Lottery..HUMMER Is Back in Business. I agree...It is one of the best rides I've owned...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Do y'all honestly believe that there's enough of a US market left to support the Hummer line, enough to make it a profitable business segment for a company? Or is all the "save Hummer" stuff just a reflection of your love for the Hummer brand?

I know those questions may seem a little sarcastic, but it's not meant that way. I am just sincerely curious.

Thanks,

Pete