H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default OEM Rocker Panel Protectors question

anyone could tell me whether these OEM protectors stick out to the sides far enough to prevent parking lot door dents? I got rid of tubular chrome stepbars just 2 days ago, and sure enough, I got a dent today on the (half empty!) Vons lot.. just been talking about this issue in the other thread few hours ago... I'm thinking to order them as well as pair of removable steps, but would be great if they'd catch the door damage beside the rock sliding functionality - do they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12498471a.jpg (44.9 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg 12498473a.jpg (48.7 KB, 501 views)
Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OEM Rocker Panel Protectors question

I don't think so. I have the rock rails from rocky road. They stick out farther.
www.rocky-road.com
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Hummer Professional

2xtreme is off the scale

I have them on mine and they don't stick out far at all
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Hummer Professional

thanks guys... well, maybe the rocky road rails would be better - I'll check into it; I think I've seen pics of them around the forum as well.

I also found these while browsing forums:
http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=52&products_id=3 79

however, they're heavy... almost too heavy for my needs but they do stick out to the sides far enough - so they work as rocker protection, parking lot door dent protection, and also as side step..3 in 1 - not bad

Last edited by Dave92270 : 10-08-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92270
thanks guys... well, maybe the rocky road rails would be better - I'll check into it; I think I've seen pics of them around the forum as well.

I also found these while browsing forums:
http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=52&products_id=3 79

however, they're heavy... almost too heavy for my needs but they do stick out to the sides far enough - so they work as rocker protection, parking lot door dent protection, and also as side step..3 in 1 - not bad

Look at the fine print,they are used with OEM rock rails.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
Look at the fine print,they are used with OEM rock rails.

you're right ("Note: Bolt to stock rock rails")...thanks for pointing it out - I overlooked that - it would be overkill and expensive as well since I don't have OEM rails either..

I've been still thinking about those OEM rails; do you guys think it would be possible to put some extra washers (or other spacing material) under the mounting bolts to make OEM rails stick out a bit more? The rails (as I see them on pics) seem to be about flush with the door, so another 1/2" could be just enough to catch other cars doors?

Last edited by Dave92270 : 10-09-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

I think using washers would work. You'd have to get longer bolts. I don't think I'd want to do any rock crawling with it set up like that.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
I think using washers would work. You'd have to get longer bolts. I don't think I'd want to do any rock crawling with it set up like that.

I guess you're right about compromising the rock crawling capability if I used washers to move the rocker protector more out.

Anyway, please could someone who has OEM's installed tell me how far exactly they extend from the rocker panel plastic? I need possibly only about 1-1.5" in order to catch wife's sedan's door (thats' where most of my door dents generally come from; we park side by side in the garage). Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Hummer Professional

Mr_Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92270
you're right ("Note: Bolt to stock rock rails")...thanks for pointing it out - I overlooked that - it would be overkill and expensive as well since I don't have OEM rails either..

I've been still thinking about those OEM rails; do you guys think it would be possible to put some extra washers (or other spacing material) under the mounting bolts to make OEM rails stick out a bit more? The rails (as I see them on pics) seem to be about flush with the door, so another 1/2" could be just enough to catch other cars doors?
I would just get rocky-road rock rails.... they stick out.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pat
I would just get rocky-road rock rails.... they stick out.

I'm looking at earlier thread where you posted pics of them on your H3:
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ght=rocky-road

- they look great and seem very sturdy, plus they stick out nicely. The only thing is that I'd prefer to be able to attach the U step (possible with OEM's only) for my wife. BTW this morning I saw an H3 in my neighborhood with black tubular nerf bars, but they seemed to be positioned very close to the rocker panel, not low-hanging as most nerf bars are. They looked more like 3" tubular rocker protectors then nerf bars. I'll have to find that yellow H3 and get a closer look...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Hummer Professional

just an update - got the OEM rails installed and like them - took me under two hours incl. the removal of the chrome nerf bars. The driver side install was trickier because the parking brake cable routing, but managed OK. The panels are nice black finish, perfect fit, strong material - quite heavy (I estimate about 40-50# each); each side has 8 bolts on 4 mount points.. Incuding a few pics - as reference for those who consider buying them. I paid $590 shipped @ GM Accessories online store, got them in 7 days from the order date. Oh, they stick out to the sides about 1 3/4"- 2" so they should be able to prevent some parking lot door damage as well. Vertical clearance without rails was 20", with rails 17" (measured at the edge of rocker panel)...

Old 10-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Lex_Ordo

They look great! I was also thinking about ordering the Rocker Panel Protectors, but I don't do any rock climbing. So they wouldn't serve to much of a practicality for me.
But...
How do they work for your issue with the car door dings? That really is what you got them for No? Are they worth the install?
That is the reason I would use them.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo
They look great! I was also thinking about ordering the Rocker Panel Protectors, but I don't do any rock climbing. So they wouldn't serve to much of a practicality for me.
But...
How do they work for your issue with the car door dings? That really is what you got them for No? Are they worth the install?
That is the reason I would use them.

I wanted these panels for two reasons - to protect rocker panel - I don't plan on serious rock sliding however when going over terrain holes, bumps and rocks while off-roading, I don't want to take any chance to end up sitting on entirely unprotected rocker panel and damage it. The chance is slim that I'd hit such an obstacle but you never know, better to be prepared. As second and equal reason I wanted to prevent my wife damaging the right door with her car's door (as used to happen regularly in the past, most of my door dings used to come from wife's vehicle door). As you see on the images, the rocker protector catches the door before hitting - it is very close, but enough. I still think to buy a few washers to get another 1/16"-1/8" offset to the side - that would be perfect and shouldn't compromise the rocker panel's rigidity too much, but the panels already work as they are so I may skip the washers. I guess the RockyRoads would do better for the side damage, however I prefer the OEM's. One more thing is that I can attach the U step for my wife if needed and remove it easily before going off-road.

Here are few pics - that will give you idea.