H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

I have decided to have a Flowmaster muffler with dual exhaust and stainless steel double wall tips installed on Thursday for $400.The price sounds better than anything I could find,tired of waiting around for these things to come out.They are going from Catalytic convert to back,not just muffler.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Hummer Expert

I have decided to have a Flowmaster muffler with dual exhaust and stainless steel double wall tips installed on Thursday for $400.The price sounds better than anything I could find,tired of waiting around for these things to come out.They are going from Catalytic convert to back,not just muffler.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
I have decided to have a Flowmaster muffler with dual exhaust and stainless steel double wall tips installed on Thursday for $400.The price sounds better than anything I could find,tired of waiting around for these things to come out.They are going from Catalytic convert to back,not just muffler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this from a national chain or a local shop? Sounds like a great price to me being cat back. Maybe it is a good thing that mine hasn't gotten here yet. Gives all the aftermarket companies a chance to get the toys ready

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
I have decided to have a Flowmaster muffler with dual exhaust and stainless steel double wall tips installed on Thursday for $400.The price sounds better than anything I could find,tired of waiting around for these things to come out.They are going from Catalytic convert to back,not just muffler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this from a national chain or a local shop? Sounds like a great price to me being cat back. Maybe it is a good thing that mine hasn't gotten here yet. Gives all the aftermarket companies a chance to get the toys ready </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Mineke is doing the work.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

Okthenbye is off the scale

$400 is $200 higherr than I paid at the local muffler shop. They are overcharging you because it is a Hummer. Keep shopping...
Old 08-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

By the way the Flowmaster will make your H3 sound like a UPS truck. Go with the Magnaflow...
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Okthenbye:
By the way the Flowmaster will make your H3 sound like a UPS truck. Go with the Magnaflow... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The flowmaster comes higly recommend from mechanic who does our work trucks,plus we have tuff inspections laws in Massachusetts.Flowmaster will pass inspection with ease.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:29 PM

clydecpa is off the scale

I've had flowmasters before on a Mustang GT. They are great and sound great for that application, or a camaro, etc. No way I'd put them on my H3 when it gets here. A sportscar is one thing, but to me, on a H3 I would feel too much like I was in a redneck pickup. To each his own I guess.

I'm interested in hearing more feedback from others on the magnaflow or other free air expulsion options.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clydecpa:
I've had flowmasters before on a Mustang GT. They are great and sound great for that application, or a camaro, etc. No way I'd put them on my H3 when it gets here. A sportscar is one thing, but to me, on a H3 I would feel too much like I was in a redneck pickup. To each his own I guess.

The sound doesnt really matter to me.I am looking for maybe some more HP and performance,dont care if it sounds like Donald Duck as long as it performes.So enough with the sound already BFD.

I'm interested in hearing more feedback from others on the magnaflow or other free air expulsion options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont really care about the sound.I am more interested in performance and maybe some more HP.So enough with the sound questions and yes to each is own.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:00 PM

I want horsepower and performance too. I've driven both the auto and manual versions (I'm buying manual) and some added pep would make this thing the total package. Faster, cooler air in/faster air out is desirable.

I don't begrudge you for using flowmasters, they're great, just no appeal to me on a Hummer. If I went that route, my wife would say, "Why don't you just hang a rebel flag on it and complete the theme." Glad you don't see it that way, but you know, I'm inclined to agree with her. Also, I don't care for seeing anything, including a Hummer, "blinged out" as they say these days. The Hummer gets enough attention the way they roll 'em off the line in Shreveport for me.

Hmmm, now things like crossbows, rocker panel protection, removable steps, more underbody protection...that's utilitarian without being overstated and saying, "hey, look over here at me." People are already looking anyway. For goodness sakes, IT'S A HUMMER!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clydecpa:
I want horsepower and performance too. I've driven both the auto and manual versions (I'm buying manual) and some added pep would make this thing the total package. Faster, cooler air in/faster air out is desirable.

I don't begrudge you for using flowmasters, they're great, just no appeal to me on a Hummer. If I went that route, my wife would say, "Why don't you just hang a rebel flag on it and complete the theme." Glad you don't see it that way, but you know, I'm inclined to agree with her. Also, I don't care for seeing anything, including a Hummer, "blinged out" as they say these days. The Hummer gets enough attention the way they roll 'em off the line in Shreveport for me.

Hmmm, now things like crossbows, rocker panel protection, removable steps, more underbody protection...that's utilitarian without being overstated and saying, "hey, look over here at me." People are already looking anyway. For goodness sakes, IT'S A HUMMER!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much (if any) additional cockpit noise are you getting from the flowmasters? From test driving multiple H3's, I was impressed with the sound deadening insulation on it, especially when driving on the highway at 70+ mph where I expected to hear more noise. I always did love that throaty sound of the flowmasters on my Mustangs.

Based on what you are hearing inside the vehicle, do you think a less noticable (sounding) exhaust setup would interfere with using the on board phone? (I plan to use it regularly as a second phone on my Verizon plan.)
Old 08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Hummer Expert

Just out of curiosity, how much (if any) additional cockpit noise are you getting from the flowmasters? From test driving multiple H3's, I was impressed with the sound deadening insulation on it, especially when driving on the highway at 70+ mph where I expected to hear more noise. I always did love that throaty sound of the flowmasters on my Mustangs.

Based on what you are hearing inside the vehicle, do you think a less noticable (sounding) exhaust setup would interfere with using the on board phone? (I plan to use it regularly as a second phone on my Verizon plan.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got my H3 back from shop and everything looks great and sounds good.Will have pictures when I get home tonight.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Flows are great, don't get me wrong I've used them on a Tahoe, Camaro, Chevy Truck and an S-10 truck but in the case of the H3 I think the Magnaflow is more suitable
Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 AM

OffRoadPete is off the scale

I had a flowmaster on my Suburban...I think they sound tuff. I was going to get the magnaflow or Borla, or possibly the SMA, haven't decided....Never even thought of the Flowmaster till now...Hmmmmmmm....can't wait for some pics...I will hold off till I get First's total review.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OffRoadPete:
I had a flowmaster on my Suburban...I think they sound tuff. I was going to get the magnaflow or Borla, or possibly the SMA, haven't decided....Never even thought of the Flowmaster till now...Hmmmmmmm....can't wait for some pics...I will hold off till I get First's total review. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete look under flowmaster pictures.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OffRoadPete:
I had a flowmaster on my Suburban...I think they sound tuff. I was going to get the magnaflow or Borla, or possibly the SMA, haven't decided....Never even thought of the Flowmaster till now...Hmmmmmmm....can't wait for some pics...I will hold off till I get First's total review. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete to tell you the truth,I like the sound of the Flownaster and no it doesnt sound like UPS truck.My only problem with it is the extra cabin noise,at 2k RPM the noise is very noticable and annoying.I am ordering the exhaust from H3 source instead.P.S. no I told you so from OKthenbye.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:39 PM

Buddy in Az is off the scale

I have the SMA exhaust from H3 and it has a very nice low tone to it. No cabin noise.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buddy in Az:
I have the SMA exhaust from H3 and it has a very nice low tone to it. No cabin noise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats good to hear thanks for the info Buddy.I should have just bought that system in first place.Jason has placed my order.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Buddy in Az is off the scale

Any mechanic or muffler shop can do the install or you can if you have the lift. A performance shop installed mine in an hour and charged $80 bucks. Totally bolt up and go.