H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-01-2005, 04:24 AM

kowal is off the scale

I have been trying to order an H3 with NAV, my dealer just called saying the order will not process due to factory parts, some problem with the BOM??? Anyway he said he would put the order back in without the NAV that way he would get the vehicle. He said the new NAV is available as a part which they will order and install. Said its just a matter of a radio swap. Is this true? what about all the other related components that make it all work. Any truth in this option?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I think they are full of crap. To order a radio, you need to have the part number. The part number of the radio is not something you look up in a catalog. You get the number one of 2 ways. 1., pull the part number of out the exisitng radio and order it. 2. call gm's parts division and they can find the part number of the radio that it originally came with. In other words, they could not do a swap that way.
Maybe a parts guy on this site can either verify or correct me if I'm wrong. We are wanting to order H3 nav radios to be able to install them, but have to wait until we get one in with nav so we can get the part#
Old 11-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll address both questions.
Kowal...
I don't believe the NAV for the H3 has been released for production, and if it is not released for production, it cannot be ordered from GM Service Parts. Possibly, they are considering ordering a NAV for an H2.
As to is this possible if a NAV is available...maybe. I have studied the wiring schematics for both the optional radios and the NAV. It appears, but I cannot confirm, that the only addition needed for the NAV is the installation of a separate antenna. (The antenna is even questionable, since the combination XM/Onstar antenna that comes on the H3 is also capable of being used for NAV; however, the schematics and illustrations show an H3 with a NAV will have a separate GPS antenna.)
(The flat part of the XM/Onstar antenna is used for to receive the XM signal and the GPS signal required for Onstar. The little screw in antenna is the communications antenna for Onstar.)
The remainder of the NAV system is built into the NAV head unit.
Again, I can't verify this since our H3 with a NAV is no longer around, and I only looked at the front, never removing it to look at the rear connector points. But, GM likes to keep the connector common, and the wiring diagrams say they are common.

Hummertech...
Yes, want a part number, I can look it up in the GM online parts system at work.
The part number on the radio in many cases is not the part number that is used for service; sometimes it is, but never trust this number. On the GM dealerworld system, accessed by dealers and GM employees, if you enter a part number into the system, and a new number has been released, it will show the correct update number.
You can call the GM parts division's help desk in Grand Blanc, MI, for part numbers of items you cannot locate on the GM online parts system. I would guess 90 percent of the time the online parts system has the part number (be it incorrect or correct), sometimes the part is not shown. Usually, the problem with the parts department is they can't find the part due to their failure to find it in the system. The parts people in Grand Blanc are extremely familiar with where the part might be in the online catalog. Sometimes, the system the dealer is viewing is not updated as often as the system the Grand Blanc people view.
Part numbers change like a weatherman changes his forecasts...constantly. For example, if a different supplier supplies a part, and even if the part is identical, a new part number might be issued. Another example, GM does a recall, the new part number has to change so that they know the old (bad) part is never used again.
If GM switches from Delco plugs to NGK, a new number is issued, etc.
Another reason why part numbers from the factory are not the same as service parts is the way the factory receives the parts. A good example is the rear suspension/brake corners. In most cases the rear axles with the brakes installed are delivered to the factory in one assembly, and the part number for that assembly is for factory use only. However, for service, all the parts of that assembly are issued a service parts number and that is what you look up in the online catalog to find the correct part number.
(I can note here that Saturn still issues printed parts catalogs for shipment to the Saturn Retailers.)

However, I go back to my original, if the vehicle cannot ship with a NAV because it has not been released, service parts usually will not have the part, and if they do, they should not be shipping it to the dealers since it is not an authorized part. Usually service parts are shipped and package to GM service parts prior to the vehicle being shipped, but they are not turned on in the system until authorized.
The GM parts catalog might show the part available but it is not available. Reason for this is the parts catalog might have been produced in May, the vehicle ships in June, but not all options are available; however, the catalog will show the parts since somewhere along the line the option is available, and at that time GM wants the service parts available if there is a warranty problem.

Hope I didn't mess everyone up.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

f5fstop, Thanks that was real helpful.You are a real assest to this site.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

BB is an unknown quantity at this point

f5fstop, I would appreciate if you could tell me which wire of two connectors coming into factory head unit is for GPS signal. I'm planning to use it for aftermarket Navi system because Onstar and XM radio is useless in Japan.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Hummer Guru

The GPS is a coax, same as for the regular antenna. However, it might be a thin coax, versus the larger coax used for standard AM/FM antenna. Either way, it will be separate from the normal electrical connectors.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

An H3 without factory nav does not have a GPS antenna. It is available from the parts dept. You mount it under the dash and it plugs right in to a factory nav radio. If you are using an aftermarket nav radio, it should come with it' own GPS antenna
Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Correction to my reply, I was tired. The coax from the GPS goes into the vehicle communications interface module (OnStar) and from the VCIM module it goes to the radio, as a deciphered signal.

HummerTech...
All the H3s have a GPS antenna, it is part of the Onstar/XM antenna on the top of the vehicle (called the shark fin). Onstar requires GPS to locate your vehicle in case of an accident. However, you are correct for the Nav unit GPS antenna being mounted under the dash.

One last thing, I checked the online GM parts system today, and under the radio information, the NAV unit has NO part number and in the description it is flagged. Therefore, a dealer cannot order one for an H3.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:21 PM

chromeless is off the scale

So if I order a H3 without XM is it still going to have the antenna on the roof because of the Onstar? Is it even possible to order without XM with the monsoon radio?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Hummer Guru

I believe you can order it without XM, not sure. Yes, the antenna on top is GPS capable. For XM it is a satillite radio antenna, for onstar it is a GPS antenna with the communications antenna screwed into it.
Onstar operates by the onstar module (VCIM) receiving GPS information and when you connect to onstar, it sends this information to onstar for them to locate you. Air bags go off, a signal is sent along with location. Car is stolen, onstar activates the system to locate the vehicle.
Onstar is quite amazing, and very integrated with the vehicle. If you signed up for the montly reports, the same day every month onstar sends the vehicle information to onstar, and they in turn relay it to you in an email. If your car is not running that day, it will send the next time the vehicle is started.
If your oil percentage drops to 22 percent, the PCM signals the onstar module to notify onstar and a notice is sent via email.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

BB is an unknown quantity at this point

f5fstop, thank you for your reply. Could you tell me where the vehicle communications interface module is located ? The shark fin in the picture is not the one for H3, but similar one. A shorter caox with a black connector is for GPS. I believe that the one for H3 should be the same.

Hummertech, I know that an aftermarket Nav system comes with its own GPS antenna. But, I want to use the shark fin because it's already installed on the roof where the reception level is highly good.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Hummer Guru

Similar, but not the same. For some reason, GM thought the underdash antenna would be better for the NAV, can't say why, but do know from my own experience with GPS units, the plastic in the dash does not interfere with the signal.
VCIM is in the dash on the drivers side...I believe. Small unit.