H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Due to a defective battery and my old radio's desire to eat my CD's, my dealer just replaced the unit.

Now the chime volume and initial onstar volume are deafening. I tried adjusting the chime volume (hold down button 6 with radio off), but that just made it louder.

I also think the gain on the radio must be too high, I have to turn the bass down to about -2 to keep it from distorting. I can't turn the radio up beyond the second group of LEDs (about 8 steps up) without it sounding horrible.

Anybody else dealt with an issue like this? Anyone know if there is a gain adjustment for the radio output?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Due to a defective battery and my old radio's desire to eat my CD's, my dealer just replaced the unit.

Now the chime volume and initial onstar volume are deafening. I tried adjusting the chime volume (hold down button 6 with radio off), but that just made it louder.

I also think the gain on the radio must be too high, I have to turn the bass down to about -2 to keep it from distorting. I can't turn the radio up beyond the second group of LEDs (about 8 steps up) without it sounding horrible.

Anybody else dealt with an issue like this? Anyone know if there is a gain adjustment for the radio output?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

ask the dealer if there's something you could do. have you checked your owner's manual?? there has to be some way of adjusting the volume on that. it's most likely an internal adjustment that the dealership probably has to do.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Hummer Professional

Dealer is the one who told me about holding button 6 down to adjust volume, but only goes from normal to loud (and loud was REALLY loud).

They said they'll have to order a new radio and swap it out again.

I'm thinking that maybe there is a gain adjustment or setting that is incorrect. Perhaps this radio has a built in amp that is disabled when it is used with the Monsoon amp (like I have)?

Anybody?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:09 AM

h3\'er is off the scale

the dealer needs to address this to your satisfaction since its still under warrenty and worked correctly before. take it back and have them fix it for you.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

HummerLite is off the scale

What your dealer most likely did was set up the radio incorrectly, The tech set it as if you didn't have the monsoon sytem.... But, you do have it... It's done using a tool called the Tech2.
White H3 5 Speed AdventureLUX, UCP, Gm Sliders, Sunroof, Monsoon, GOBI RACK, Pioneer Avic Z1, Xm, Ipod,Yaesu FT-8800R VHF/UHF, DOI Winch bumper, Warn M8000, Cooper Discoverer's 35's , Boulder Bead Locks ,PCMs For Less tune, K+N Air filter, Rancho 9000's
Old 11-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

hey thanks HummerLite... gonna have the dealership turn mine down too.

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 11-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerLite:
What your dealer most likely did was set up the radio incorrectly, The tech set it as if you didn't have the monsoon sytem.... But, you do have it... It's done using a tool called the Tech2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info, and pardon me for asking, but do you know where I can get documentation about this? The service writer at the dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it, even though I already told him that is what it sounds like to me. He still insists they have to send the radio back.

I found documentation on this forum about the H2 radio, and it says there is an auto amplifier sensing circuit that lowers the output if an external amplifier is used. Seems like they'd have the same on the H3.

I know it is under warranty and the dealer will take care of it, I just don't want to be without my truck for several more days waiting for them to sort it out.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:38 PM

h3\'er is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HumbleAg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerLite:
What your dealer most likely did was set up the radio incorrectly, The tech set it as if you didn't have the monsoon sytem.... But, you do have it... It's done using a tool called the Tech2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info, and pardon me for asking, but do you know where I can get documentation about this? The service writer at the dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it, even though I already told him that is what it sounds like to me. He still insists they have to send the radio back.

I found documentation on this forum about the H2 radio, and it says there is an auto amplifier sensing circuit that lowers the output if an external amplifier is used. Seems like they'd have the same on the H3.

I know it is under warranty and the dealer will take care of it, I just don't want to be without my truck for several more days waiting for them to sort it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow you are a nice guy, doing all the research for your INcompetant dealer. You need to get in his face and have the call for support. Im sure there is nothing wrong with the new unit. They just have no clue what they are up to.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h3'er:
Wow you are a nice guy, doing all the research for your INcompetant dealer. You need to get in his face and have the call for support. Im sure there is nothing wrong with the new unit. They just have no clue what they are up to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not really that nice. I just hate to be without the truck, and if I can't get the dealer pointed the right direction, they'll just keep it longer.

I dropped it off this morning, haven't heard anything yet. I expect to hear back from him sometime this afternoon, he'll probably say he has to order a new radio. Then when I pick it up tomorrow, it'll have the same issue.

I've tried to give them all the information I can, but as my Grandma used to say: "You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes you have to kick him in the ass to get him to take a bath." Or something like that.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM

DropdSatSC2 is off the scale

If the OnStar is too loud, you hit the button on the rearview and then turn the volume knob down on the radio, that is how the OnStar/Chime volume is controlled.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DropdSatSC2:
If the OnStar is too loud, you hit the button on the rearview and then turn the volume knob down on the radio, that is how the OnStar/Chime volume is controlled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for trying, but it isn't that easy. Volume control does adjust Onstar volume when Onstar is in use, but does nothing for Chime. The system also doesn't save the setting, so the next time I access Onstar, she's yelling at me again.

4pm and I still haven't heard from the dealer, so I assume they are going to keep my truck overnight. I miss it already.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Got it back, they figured out the radio wasn't defective, just needed to be reprogrammed. If I wouldn't have insisted, they probably wouldn't have even checked.

I still don't know if there is a setting for monsoon or no monsoon. It is either that or they just lowered the output volume from the head unit. Doesn't matter, all is fine now.

Thanks all for the help and advice.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:06 AM

h3\'er is off the scale

I would tend to think not. I put my after market unit in and I was concerned about high level outputs into the monsoon amp. i was told by pac-audio that the monsoon amps take high level inputs