H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-23-2005, 04:45 PM

boulderhummer is off the scale

Hey guys, just had a mechanic buddy of mine install the K&N intake kit (whole kit that replaces the entire stock unit). Couple good things about this kit. I do notice that the truck in more responsive and it sounds a little better. A magnaflow exhaust will be next. Anyone know where i can order that?
The problem I'm having is that the check engine light is on steady. According to our manual, this isn't abnormal. Been on the phone with K&N and 2 Hummer dealers. K N says that the Hummers computer needs about 150 miles so it can adapt to the new [more ] airflow. I know there is an extremely amount of techical knowlege with some of you guys on here. Has anyone put this on their truck, or does anyone have another alternative in regards to the engine light on. I"m about half way to the 150 mile mark, but for some reason i don't think that is going to turn the light off. the dealer said they could hook it up to the computer. i suppose that will just turn the light off for the time being.
thanks for any info guys,,i'll post some pics of the unit.
bret
boulder, lux ebony, chrome appear w/ wheels, trailer, 33 in Nitto grapplers, letter inserts, magnaflow to come
Old 09-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Hey guys, just had a mechanic buddy of mine install the K&N intake kit (whole kit that replaces the entire stock unit). Couple good things about this kit. I do notice that the truck in more responsive and it sounds a little better. A magnaflow exhaust will be next. Anyone know where i can order that?
The problem I'm having is that the check engine light is on steady. According to our manual, this isn't abnormal. Been on the phone with K&N and 2 Hummer dealers. K N says that the Hummers computer needs about 150 miles so it can adapt to the new [more ] airflow. I know there is an extremely amount of techical knowlege with some of you guys on here. Has anyone put this on their truck, or does anyone have another alternative in regards to the engine light on. I"m about half way to the 150 mile mark, but for some reason i don't think that is going to turn the light off. the dealer said they could hook it up to the computer. i suppose that will just turn the light off for the time being.
bret
boulder, lux ebony, chrome appear w/ wheels, trailer, 33 in Nitto grapplers, letter inserts, magnaflow to come
Old 09-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

I just purchased my K&N yesterday. I will install mine by Friday. Thats if it shows up by
Thursday the 29th of September. I will monitor the instrument cluster for any thing unusual.
If I get anything or if I dont get anything indicating effects after installing the air filter I will surely post it.
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

BoulderHummer,

I assume that your friend dissconnected the negative terminal for a couple of hours during the install? Neither my (5.3) Yukon for my H2 (6.0) had the check engine light issues with the installation of a similar product (Airaid). However, the only issue I ever had was on a F-150. I made the mistake of not dissconnecting the ground and it gave me the check engine light. I called K&N and they told me to follow the above steps and it fixed the issue.

Let us know if it resolves itself.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 09-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by boulderhummer:
bret
boulder, lux ebony, chrome appear w/ wheels, trailer, 33 in Nitto grapplers, letter inserts, magnaflow to come </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think the Magna Flow system is available yet.Last time I checked they told me end of September so its getting close.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by boulderhummer:
bret
boulder, lux ebony, chrome appear w/ wheels, trailer, 33 in Nitto grapplers, letter inserts, magnaflow to come </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing that should have been switched over to the new intake is the MAF sensor. Maybe look there first to make sure it isn't damaged and the connector is on tight. If the breather hose is off some air is not being metered and may throw an excessive fuel trim code.

You can try having onstar read the codes to you with the description of the code. If you don't want to use onstar, there is one autoparts store that will read your codes for free - maybe Advanced???. Any OBDII scanner will read the code.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:39 PM

thanks for the infor guys. let me know how you make out badger..
Chevy, what would i do if i have the code read by a computer. i made sure the sensor was on tight and my buddy did disconnet the negative. its a slight possibility that the lack of hooking up the hose from the snorkel to the fuel regulator may have thrown the sensor off. the instructions to the kit shows a 4mm hose is supposed to be connected to the vacum fitting then onto the fuel pressure regulator. Apparently our Hummers don't have a fuel pressure regulater.. so K&N is sending a plug for the opening. I did cap the vacum fitting, so i doubt this is the reason...we'll see
Old 09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

thanks for the infor guys. let me know how you make out badger..
Chevy, what would i do if i have the code read by a computer. i made sure the sensor was on tight and my buddy did disconnet the negative. its a slight possibility that the lack of hooking up the hose from the snorkel to the fuel regulator may have thrown the sensor off. the instructions to the kit shows a 4mm hose is supposed to be connected to the vacum fitting then onto the fuel pressure regulator. Apparently our Hummers don't have a fuel pressure regulater.. so K&N is sending a plug for the opening. I did cap the vacum fitting, so i doubt this is the reason...we'll see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the intake is drawing in unmetered air from either the crankcase breather or the fuel pressure port then the fuel system will adjust until it hits its limit - then throw a code. Is it possible that the MAF element was installed 180 degrees in reverse - I don't know if this is even physically possible?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:57 PM

i'm not sure Chevy,,,your talking a little over my head with some of your suggestions. i am confident that the system is installed properly, i helped my friend and he is very meticulous about things. i guess i should just take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to the computer. what do you think?
thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Hummer Professional

K&N installed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took about 45 min. I had no adverse affect with the engine nor did I get any instrument lights on the Drivers instrument cluster. All is great!
The engine looks a lil strange witout that air box and air resenator that has that logo Vortec 3500 on it. Make sure that the hole on the side facing towards you is capped off completely. This hole is for the fuel vent thats normally found on the GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado. K&N has a plug for that hole Hummers that dont use it. (K&N Part #63-1095) Maybe thats a possibility of why you are getting indicators on your instrument cluster?
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Hummer Professional

Here is a picture of my newest upgrade!
K&N Air intake (Part# 63-1095)
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

crotch_rocket_pilot is off the scale

Where did you guys purchase this and how much was it?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

crotch_rocket_pilot is off the scale

Hmm, nevermind...just read the next thread and it answered my question.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

K&N installed the first Air Intake Kit on my H3, at their prototype/testing facility. Dyno'd the vehicle, etc. You can find the dyno charts on my posting in this H3 Tech Discussion area. Installation was about 2300 miles ago. I have not experienced any problems with check engine lights.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:20 PM

cheapest i've seem em is on ebay,,239.00

my check engine light is still on over 200 miles,,guess its time for an appointment....
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

How loud is the cabin with the K&N intake system? I had one in my Tundra and it was so loud I hated it. I did have an Airaid Junior in my Yukon and it was quiet.

Is the K&N kit for the H3 loud?
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 AM

definitely noticiably louder in the cabin when you step on the gas. its a higher pitch sound than the same the one i had on my gmc yukon. (same kit) it must be the big difference in engine size. for me, it is not obnoxious. i do notice the truck is more responsive and pulls better. all i can say to best answer your question is that its probably going to be a higher pitch sound than your Tundra, but for me i'm okay with it because i know the engine is running more efficient and i'm getting more horses that this truck desparately needs..
good luck man

boulder, lux, chrome app and wheels, trailer, k&n intake, nitto grappler 33's
Old 10-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

FYI: Previously posted Dyno charts, pics, etc.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...831#7751044831