H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Hummer Novice

Mark923 is off the scale

Looking for better engine response? At 350 miles on the new H3, the OEM stock air cleaner was changed to a K&N E-0773. The engine seems to respond better. Past history with OEM air filter changes to K&N has not only provided more engine power, but fuel MPG has generally increase 2-3 MPG. I a 2004 Corvette, the K&N change resulted in 4 MPG.
I got the K&N for the H3 at Summit Racing...$45.95, plus $8.95 S&H. Two days after the order was placed, FedEx Ground delivered it.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Hummer Novice

Mark923 is off the scale

Looking for better engine response? At 350 miles on the new H3, the OEM stock air cleaner was changed to a K&N E-0773. The engine seems to respond better. Past history with OEM air filter changes to K&N has not only provided more engine power, but fuel MPG has generally increase 2-3 MPG. I a 2004 Corvette, the K&N change resulted in 4 MPG.
I got the K&N for the H3 at Summit Racing...$45.95, plus $8.95 S&H. Two days after the order was placed, FedEx Ground delivered it.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I and three other guys dyno'ed Vettes in Smyrna TN a few years ago, switching between a K&N replacement and a clean paper, and the dyno proved, not increase in HP. However, there is an increase in dirt entering the engine.
(These dyno results are for replacment cartridges only, not for ram air or high velocity systems that use K&N type filters.)
Old 08-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

f5fstop,

I noticed that you mentioned this before about the K&N filters not filtering as well as the stock paper filter. I thought the K&N's did pretty well. The problem with the stock H3 paper filter is the pleat depth/density ratio is too high and actually reduces the active filter surface area. This is why the K&N's work better in the H3's than the C5's as far as flow/power goes.

Did you do your test on a C5? The Fram filter did as well as the K&N. An advantage of the K&N is that it is not damaged by water and helps stop water from entering the intake. Some vettes and f-bodies had low air scoops that directed water (and air) into the air box where the water dissovled/weakened the paper filter and water entered the intake and hydro-locked the engine.

You should see the air filter on the new C6 Z06. I rode in a preproduction model about 2 months ago. The new Z06 spanks the GT-40 at half the price and easily de-fangs the Viper. And, if you think new Z06 is fast wait until you see what's next.....
Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

The one issue I have with K&N is that they perform much worse than stock in hot weather.

If you live somewhere hot, I'd recommend against it since you end up feeding large amounts of hot air in.

Also perfomance doesn't increase noticeably but noise does.

-C
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Some (or all) K&N FIPK try to seal off from the engine compartment to draw air from a void space. So these kits do draw some warmer air than the stock air boxes that draw from a fender opening or hood opening.

I'm trying to get a handle on the filering ability fo the K&N versus the stock paper filter in the same location.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChevyHighPerformance:
f5fstop,

I noticed that you mentioned this before about the K&N filters not filtering as well as the stock paper filter. I thought the K&N's did pretty well. The problem with the stock H3 paper filter is the pleat depth/density ratio is too high and actually reduces the active filter surface area. This is why the K&N's work better in the H3's than the C5's as far as flow/power goes.

Did you do your test on a C5? The Fram filter did as well as the K&N. An advantage of the K&N is that it is not damaged by water and helps stop water from entering the intake. Some vettes and f-bodies had low air scoops that directed water (and air) into the air box where the water dissovled/weakened the paper filter and water entered the intake and hydro-locked the engine.

You should see the air filter on the new C6 Z06. I rode in a preproduction model about 2 months ago. The new Z06 spanks the GT-40 at half the price and easily de-fangs the Viper. And, if you think new Z06 is fast wait until you see what's next..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All tests were done on C5s including one ZO6.
Also, from what I have read in Gm engineering reports, oil based filters allow more dirt (albeit small amounts) into the engine.
I agree, different design air intakes would have different results. I would love to see some actual dyno charts on the differences, and maybe I should also preface that these results were C5 related.
Filters used were stock Delco, which might be manufactured by Fram...not sure.
I work in a place that just stripped down the new ZO6, and I had a chance to drive a few quite a few months ago. For the price (which is high) it is a steal. Hate to replace those tires every six thousand miles though. They have to cost a fortune.
I would love to see what your results are with the K&N versus a good paper filter.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:19 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

seriously man... where do you work? I want your job.... can I come visit for a day at least? :-P
Old 08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Hummer Novice

Mark923 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
I and three other guys dyno'ed Vettes in Smyrna TN a few years ago, switching between a K&N replacement and a clean paper, and the dyno proved, not increase in HP. However, there is an increase in dirt entering the engine.
(These dyno results are for replacment cartridges only, not for ram air or high velocity systems that use K&N type filters.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info...Most likely my H3 will never hit the dyno. One thing is for sure. In my actual mileage checks (around town driving) the H3 has picked up 2 mpg since changing to the K&N. Time will tell if that increases once the H3 gets 5m mile plus on it.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

You guys mentioned warm weather. To me that is 80 - 85 here in Washington but not sure what you mean. What degrees in F?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:20 AM

HummahMan is off the scale

I know an H3 owner "WhiteH3"(his - Elcova H3 Forum name). He's the first to have a K&N Air Intake kit installed on an H3. K&N's R&D department installed it for him and did some dyno testing too. I'll contact him so that he can post some pics and dyno charts, etc. However, you may want to check out this webpage on air filters. It's technical but very informative...
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummahMan:
I know an H3 owner "WhiteH3"(his - Elcova H3 Forum name). He's the first to have a K&N Air Intake kit installed on an H3. K&N's R&D department installed it for him and did some dyno testing too. I'll contact him so that he can post some pics and dyno charts, etc. However, you may want to check out this webpage on air filters. It's technical but very informative...
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those reports pretty much mimic reports I have read that were performed by GM/Ford, and a friend at Nissan told me there test showed the same.
What people have to realize is if a manufacturer could boost HP and fuel mileage by adding a foam/oil filter, they would do it in a minute.
In addition, since H3's will be off-roaded quite a bit, the entrance of dirt would bother me.
One thing this report mentioned that I never read in any other report, is the part about a paper filter collapsing when wet. That is a good point, and for mudders, a foam/oil might be the way to go.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

Dynochart for K&N Intake Kit:
2nd Gear Testing on 5 speed manual
Tested with Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust
Power measured at wheels
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

Dynochart for K&N Intake Kit:
3rd Gear Testing on 5 speed manual
Tested with Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust
Power measured at wheels
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

See Posting for "K&N Air Charger Kit" for photos of kit installed on "White H3".