H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

-=Mac=- is on a distinguished road
Default Hello... It's all Viet Nam Vette's fault...

New kid on the block here and it's all Viet Nam Vette's fault that I now own a 2006 H3.

You see, I was perfectly happy with my old 1996 Dodge 4X4 pickup. The Cummins turbo diesel is bulletproof, plenty powerful and cheap to run. Then Viet Nam Vette starts talking about buying a Hummer H3 on another forum we both participate in called the Corvette Action Center. He's got one on order, he says, and he's pretty excited about it.

So I started looking at H3 pictures and saw a few of them on the road. Then I'm driving past a local non-Hummer dealership and they have a bright yellow 2006 H3 sitting out front where you can't miss it. The next thing I know, I'm being handed a set of keys.

I'm normally a pretty logical guy. I usually make my car buying decisions based on solid cost/benefit analysis. This time it was straight from the heart or maybe even a bit lower. The funny part is my wife absolutely loves it... even if she doesn't get to drive it...

So here's my introduction... I'm in the greater Vancouver area in lovely British Columbia, Canada. I see there's a couple of others here from my area. The user name Mac was already taken (go figure!) but I managed to work my way around that. I'm a police officer but don't let that bother you. I haven't arrested anyone I've met on a forum yet.

VNV didn't tell me that the H3 had head problems until after I bought one. He seems to think there's a recall. As soon as I finish this post, I'm gonna go search to see if I can find it.

-Mac
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello... It's all Viet Nam Vette's fault...

Welcome aboard Mac.

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

[

Welcome, and thank you for being in Police officer, so many avoid that carreer now because of the lack of respect. But I am very thankfull of ppl like yourself.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah ..It's my fault.... ..I think the H3 sold it's self. Anyway welcome aboard MAC.
The recall I was explaining was the Cyl Head thing.. Can't remember if there was an autherized factory recall or not.

Mac's doing a search now..anyone want to add any info for him??
Old 12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the welcome! K9sH3, thanks. I've been carrying the badge for 18+ years and it's been a wild ride but I'm planning to make full use of the RCMP retirement package at the earliest opportunity.

VNV, I found a thread which looked like a single incident of a head problem but nothing about a recall. The thread originator spent a good bit of time fending off accusations of being a troll but I see several of the parties involved are now banned.

Incidently, I just got a phone call from the dealership saying there's a recall for the jack, so I'm taking it in on Thursday. I hope if there was a recall for the head, they would have found that as well.

-Mac
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Hummer Authority

Heh Mac....I'm sorry I had a brain Fart on this Cyl head thing.. But I'm sure some one will jump in here and square this away. Not sure if it was a recall or a wait till the head goes thing then GM will replace it or not answer.

So sit tight and one of the Hummer Rock Jumper's will chime in..
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

In the meantime, I'm going to keep an eye on everything to be sure it's all good.

-Mac
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

did you ever get your truck nam?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Steve - SanJose

Mac,

Congrats on the new H3.

Yea my purchase was not based on the usual logic and cost analysis. Although I did the math on additional gas cost per month ($30, bfd) versus my prior vehicle.

S.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Any chance you could change your call sign?

Like, at least at a 'k' to the end or something. The last Mac that was here kinda soiled the place and you might unwittingly get confused as him.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Any chance you could change your call sign?

Like, at least at a 'k' to the end or something. The last Mac that was here kinda soiled the place and you might unwittingly get confused as him.
Sorry to hear another Mac would be a problemchild. I did a quick Member List search once I joined up. I saw one MAC who had 1000+ posts but hasn't been active since April 2005. Is that the one?

I'm rather accustomed to being Mac, not only because that truly is my nickname but also because I'm involved in other forums. As such, I would prefer to stay with it if I can. If it becomes a problem, I'm sure I'll hear about it so I'll cross the bridge when/if I encounter it.

Incidently, I haven't figured out the local vernacular as yet. Are you a moderator or ???

-Mac
Old 12-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer

You know I typed an answer to this post 3 times and it dumped!!!!! Lets see it this will post
Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

what es a moderator....

we don hav no stinkin moderators round chere

There's a group of Bully H3 owners that are "Hummer Veterans" that stir up a lot of the trouble and create general mayhem... stay clear of them and you might survive this insane asylum
Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer

Ok.this is my 4th attempt..so it will be a short form of the other 3.

Dealer Lied...Told me marker lamps were in production along with my rig.

Called GM ..Gave them the order number.. They said ..That number is bogus ..no order in our system fo that dealer.

GM calls dealer...

Dealer Calls me and starts to yell at me for calling GM.

I tell dealer ..Go F your self and Go Pound sand..

Are you stupid...?? I was going to hand you a Check for $40 Grand and you yell at me??

Screw you..reverse the charge on my Credit Card Deposit and refund it.
This is 14 weeks into the deal.

Two days later credit showed up.

Marker Lamps as of today should be available 1-8-07 if they pass Engineering test and Approval...So it's up to F5...

Then I star all over again. Trouble is...you can't find an H3 with DVD nav and off road and Lux and Moon roof etc on the dealer lots... So I gotta order one in..

I want the freaken Marker Lamps...That's my story and I'm sticken with it..

[/php]

Last edited by Viet Nam Vette : 12-13-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
There's a group of Bully H3 owners that are "Hummer Veterans" that stir up a lot of the trouble and create general mayhem... stay clear of them and you might survive this insane asylum
Thanks for the warning... On a completely unrelated note, have you heard of the Canadian band Men Without Hats? On their Collection album, they had an interesting song which came to mind when I read the 'title' under your name...

-Mac
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vette
Heh Mac....I'm sorry I had a brain Fart on this Cyl head thing.. But I'm sure some one will jump in here and square this away. Not sure if it was a recall or a wait till the head goes thing then GM will replace it or not answer.

So sit tight and one of the Hummer Rock Jumper's will chime in..

No cylinder head recall. Believe it or not, it does not happen to every engine out there.

It also depends on the VIN of your vehicle. If manufactured prior to 287591 (Last six digits of the VIN) you could have the problem. So, if your VIN is after the VIN, then you have the new hardened head. If not, and you develope the problem, you will experience a rougher than normal idle, and then the service engine soon light will come on. Dealer will retrieve a P300 code, check compression, and if low, replace the cylinder head. (The I-5 engine already idles rougher than a V-block engine, so don't get alarmed if you feel a slight idle vibration.) I should also mention, that if it does happen, call Onstar and they will tell you to get to a dealer as soon as possible. However, if you happen to be out climbing rocks, running rivers, etc., don't fret. You can drive quite a few miles with this condition. Only harm that will happen is the valve guide that failed, will elongate more, causing more damage to the head. A few other valves might start to elongate, but no damage to the engine itself. The fix is a complete new designed hardened head, so don't worry about causing more damage to the head.

Last edited by f5fstop : 12-13-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
No cylinder head recall. Believe it or not, it does not happen to every engine out there.

It also depends on the VIN of your vehicle. If manufactured prior to 287591 (Last six digits of the VIN) you could have the problem. So, if your VIN is after the VIN, then you have the new hardened head. If not, and you develope the problem, you will experience a rougher than normal idle, and then the service engine soon light will come on. Dealer will retrieve a P300 code, check compression, and if low, replace the cylinder head. (The I-5 engine already idles rougher than a V-block engine, so don't get alarmed if you feel a slight idle vibration.) I should also mention, that if it does happen, call Onstar and they will tell you to get to a dealer as soon as possible. However, if you happen to be out climbing rocks, running rivers, etc., don't fret. You can drive quite a few miles with this condition. Only harm that will happen is the valve guide that failed, will elongate more, causing more damage to the head. A few other valves might start to elongate, but no damage to the engine itself. The fix is a complete new designed hardened head, so don't worry about causing more damage to the head.

There yah go MAC..Right fron the Engineers Keyboard..

Thanks For that info F5..
Old 12-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board Mac. My H3 is at the dealer for a new head right now. I was in Edmonton Canada last month when my check engine light came on. The code onstar showed was loose fuel cap, change in fuel, ect.
So I kept driving.
2000 miles later dealer finds the P300 code and it's been over 1000 miles since I saw a check engine light. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
The code also didn't show up in the onstar diagnostic email I recieved the day before the dealer found the code.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Gawd. Another Mac.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Gawd. Another Mac.
I promise I'm not the previous MAC... Being a Canadian, I'll be polite and well mannered... but the twisted sense of humour and the occasional English spelling of words like "humour" are also part of the package.

-Mac