H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: got my check engine light this morning in traffic

dROVE MINE NICE AND EASY FOR BREAK IN, did some wheeling only 3 real workouts on trail. mine poped at 15k miles and had a rough idle for months before the light came on.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Steve - SanJose

I'm pushing 35K miles mostly hard street driving with high speed freeway work in the 80-90mph range. Nothing's blown yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3chicky is on a distinguished road

Here is some info that might help............

The PI lists trucks with a vin number before 68287591 (last eight of vin) might be effected

Barb
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3chicky

The PI lists trucks with a vin number before 68287591 (last eight of vin) might be effected

Barb

My last 8 digits are 868xxxxx, so does that mean I'm not in the high risk group? What's the PI?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3chicky

Barb

I have a sept 05 build. vin: 6816xxxx. 13.5K miles. (Brace for impact) Head might go! Oh well. I drive pretty casually. not rough on her during break in. We'll see how it goes.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Mine is 6816blahblahblah AND I have started getting rough idle (and it stalled this morning trying to take off w/it cold). no check engine light yet, but sounds like I might go to dealer now to see if they can diagnose it early...
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: got my check engine light this morning in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
My last 8 digits are 868xxxxx, so does that mean I'm not in the high risk group? What's the PI?

Steve check your vin # again ,I think you have a early build,it should start with 6******* not 8*******.

Also for those getting close to 50K (at least a year or so for me)
Is there a check we can do ourselfs(like compresion test ?) to see if head is starting to go before warranty expires ?
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 03-21-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
Steve check your vin # again ,I think you have a early build,it should start with 6******* not 8*******.

Also for those getting close to 50K (at least a year or so for me)
Is there a check we can do ourselfs(like compresion test ?) to see if head is starting to go before warranty expires ?

442 - Thanks for the pointer. Correction, my last 8 digits of my vin are 6810xxxx, so that does put me in the higher risk group. My rig was purchased in early July 2005.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Compression check could show problem. Wouldnt hurt to know the numbers to look for . If its still running smooth the numbers will probably be close on each cylinder. Im going to check mine this weekend in our garage. Were doing a test and tune on our late model stock car so the shop will be all mine. Im getting terrable MPG. My service rep at my dealership has been top notch , but when I take it in Ill allready have info on compression to compare with what they find. Good luck fft
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Hummer Professional

lance-n is off the scale

I started to have an occasional rough idle a few weeks ago, but I changed the fuel filter and used an injector cleaner at each of the last couple fill ups. The rough idle seems to have gone away. It may have just been bad fuel or some water in the fuel. I have not experienced any significant change in mpg either. I have not had the check engine light come on yet and my last 8 in the vin is 6814XXXX, so this one is in the higher risk group, too. It was a July 2005 build and I now have 14,600 miles. Unfortunately Onstar doesn't work here and I am over 1,000 miles from a certified Hummer shop. Is there a way I can view the same report that Onstar would receive?
So, I am just going to cross my fingers and hope it doesn't come back.

1995 White mint OJ mobile (full size Ford Bronco) - sold

2007 Silver Nissan Armada - wifemobile
2005 42' Tiara Sportfisher - Tournament Rigged and 40 knots!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsnBars
Compression check could show problem. Wouldnt hurt to know the numbers to look for . If its still running smooth the numbers will probably be close on each cylinder. Im going to check mine this weekend in our garage. Were doing a test and tune on our late model stock car so the shop will be all mine. Im getting terrable MPG. My service rep at my dealership has been top notch , but when I take it in Ill allready have info on compression to compare with what they find. Good luck fft

List that info on the compresssion #'s. if you get a chance .
It should be easy to access the plugs,I have a compression tester.

Good info to keep on file ,that way when I hit 49,000 miles I could check it myself before the warranty expires.
Others getting close to 50K could also test for peace of mind.

Steve I bet you felt relaxed for a couple hours there.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 03-21-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

Had to have my H3 fixed twice for this problem. Just got it back about a week and a half ago. Seems to run fine now. My only issue is that my gauges/odometer keep going out now. They'll work for a while then be completely gone. Not sure why this is happening but I've also been smelling a nasty burning smell when I'm stopped at a light. Not so much when I'm driving down the highway though. I take it to the dealer again tomorrow. I think I'll head over to the sales dept to see what I can come up with there. Either a nice new H3 '07 or possibly an H2......

OH and I wanted to add that both times that I've had this problem (engine issue)- I've asked OnStar to run their diagnostics test and they've told me both times that there were no issues whatsoever that come up in their test. I have no clue how or what they do to run a check but I'm not yet convinced that it works too well.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

dukein is off the scale
Unhappy Re: got my check engine light this morning in traffic

After 18mos just about 12kmi, got "check engine light" ON (ouch!). Took it to SV HUMMER for diagnostics, service tech found cylinder misfire, cleared error. I have found there's 9 H3's waiting for head replacement. Next couple of days, it came back. Took it to place of purchase, confirmed misfire on cyl #2, waited two weeks for parts. Part finally came .... on surgery as we speak .
Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukein
After 18mos just about 12kmi, got "check engine light" ON (ouch!). Took it to SV HUMMER for diagnostics, service tech found cylinder misfire, cleared error. I have found there's 9 H3's waiting for head replacement. Next couple of days, it came back. Took it to place of purchase, confirmed misfire on cyl #2, waited two weeks for parts. Part finally came .... on surgery as we speak .

Where's SV HUMMER? Did they give you a decent loaner truck?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

dukein is off the scale
Talking Re: got my check engine light this morning in traffic

SV Hummer is in Dela Cruz Blvd right-off 101. They offered me an H2 for a loaner (sweet!). btw, i didn't take the H2 loaner, since i can't be the 10th H3 needing head replacement. Went to another shop, just 2weeks wait, parts are already in.

Last edited by dukein : 04-06-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukein
SV Hummer is in Dela Cruz Blvd right-off 101. They offered me an H2 for a loaner (sweet!).

Good to know about getting a decent loaner! Keep us posted on the results. I also have an 06 H3 with 35K miles so far.