H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale
Default OEM Navi Bypass

Hi guys...tried to search, but came with zero results:

Do you know if you can "bypass" the system and use the NAVI while moving/driving or do you have to have it in park to input addresses and POI? Thanks, Ron AKA rjmoose

Last edited by rjmoose : 08-29-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OEM NAvi Bypass

Not saying it would be impossible, but I have to think it may be rough. The NAV is on the class 2 serial bus, so the BCM is telling it if the vehicle is in Park or other gears, and the PCM is sending it a speed signal.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Not saying it would be impossible, but I have to think it may be rough. The NAV is on the class 2 serial bus, so the BCM is telling it if the vehicle is in Park or other gears, and the PCM is sending it a speed signal.

Do you know if anyone has been able to get around this? I am getting a NAVI system and I would prefer to get the OEM one, but it has to be able to FULLY function while driving....I already had a Navi that locked me out while driving and it drove me so nuts that it probably ended up being more of a distraction than if it was not restricted!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

TxFireman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OEM Navi Bypass

I have not seen anything. I know it's a pain, the way it's set up, but I also know theres a reason it's done that way.

I've just learned to set it before I go, sometimes even if I don't think I'll need it, then I use the suspend setting, and resume it later if I do end up needing it.

Home and the pre-sets are the only ones on the OEM nav that can be activated while moving.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

why not just go with an aftermarket nav?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmoose
Do you know if anyone has been able to get around this? I am getting a NAVI system and I would prefer to get the OEM one, but it has to be able to FULLY function while driving....I already had a Navi that locked me out while driving and it drove me so nuts that it probably ended up being more of a distraction than if it was not restricted!!!!

Nope. We can all give thanks to our good ole' USA Legal system.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
why not just go with an aftermarket nav?

I most likely am going to, but I figured if someone had discovered a bypass, I prefer the look of the factory NAV...and someone on this forum would definitely if it has been or can be done....

Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

I put the OEM Nav in the wife's Escalade and BELIEV ME, I check EVERY GM site on the internet trying to find a bypass code or something

NA-DA
Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBob
I put the OEM Nav in the wife's Escalade and BELIEV ME, I check EVERY GM site on the internet trying to find a bypass code or something

NA-DA
You haven't found ANYTHING? Not even a glimmer of hope of this working in the future??? That bites!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell me about it. I have the Eclipse AAV2454 in my H2, and it's WAAY better than the OEM NAV, but the WIFE wanted the "FACTORY" look

Oh well, whatever makes her HAPPY!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
cheappc.com

This is a great thread, i was regretting not getting factory nav, but this is incredible, wow, i love my tom tom nav 5, but it would have drove me crazy if i couldnt put an address while driving, that really sucks,

but now i really dont regret not getting, what do you guys think of this?

i know its cheap, but it comes fully loaded, even tv tuner?

http://www.bestautoparts.com/catalog/1063_b.jpg

http://www.bestautoparts.com/servlet...h-Dash-/Detail
Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Elcova Rookie

Scott D is off the scale

I too regretted not getting the OEM nav when I bought my H3. I was determined in purchasing the factory nav and have the Dealer install it. But after doing some research on the web and the local car audio stores I discovered that the factory OEM Nav unit is pretty basic in function and very limited on features. There are lots of after market Nav units that have some pretty cool features. It all depends on your taste and budget. Now I know nothing beats that clean Factory look, but I think my after market unit looks pretty dam good.
In April I bought a Pioneer AVIC Z1 and had it professionally installed. It?s a pricy unit but in my opinion well worth it. Most importantly the place where I had it installed was the only place that was able to by pass the system to where you can enter an address or change your route on the fly (as your driving) even watch dvd?s on the go. And let me tell you, when you go on vacation that DVD keeps the wife entertained on those long 8, 10, 12hr trips. And the bypass they did is not the one where you have to flash the head lights three times, run around the vehicle twice, jiggle the ignition key just right, and say a quick prayer before starting the vehicle and hope that it works. It?s as simple as getting in, starting the engine and it works. I know earlier Nav units the by pass was as simple as grounding the E-Brake wire and that was it, but this unit is a little more complicated. After all this unit has a hard drive. I do recommend a reputable installer that guaranties or warranties their work.
Any way I?m not going to list all the features this unit can do because there?s just too many. A simple Google search will tell you every thing you need to know. There?s even a forum on the web for this unit with tons of helpful info including crack, hacks, and bypasses.
If you do decide to see this model try to see a working display so you can play with it. Much better than just looking at a box and reading what it can do. At first it looks very intimidating and complicated, but trust me after a week of playing with it, it?s very simple and user friendly. I?m very happy with this unit the only down fall or draw back is that the splash screen or startup screen is slow before it goes to the menu screen. I guess it has to do with the hard drive booting up. You get used to it. However as soon as you start the vehicle you here music, you just have to weight for the screens to boot up.
I?ll warn you now, you will have to purchase a few interface modules that will drive the cost up, like if you want to keep your door chimes, on star, factory satellite antenna, factory alarm bypass etc?.. To name a few, so be prepared.
Good luck on what ever you decide, just make sure that you?re happy with it because that?s what?s most important.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rick is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmoose
Hi guys...tried to search, but came with zero results:

Do you know if you can "bypass" the system and use the NAVI while moving/driving or do you have to have it in park to input addresses and POI? Thanks, Ron AKA rjmoose

You've probably already read about this but most aftermarket NAV systems have a wire that goes to the brake. If you ground this wire to the firewall instead it fools the system to allow you to program it on the fly.
2006 H3 - Luxury - Superior Blue - Sunroof - Chrome Pkg. - Chrome Step Tubes - AVN30D with rear view camera and iPod connection - Volant CAI - MagnaFlow dual exhaust - Throttle Body Spacer - Train Air Horn (to be installed) - More adds to come (New shoes & supercharger!)

1990 Porsche C2 (911) - Highly modified and very, very fast!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 PM
cheappc.com

thanks that great, it seems the Pioneer AVIC Z1 probably the best out in the market, does it have tv tuner?

if so, ill probably spend more and get that one.... the
Pioneer AVIC Z1

thanks, ill read more about it...
Old 09-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Elcova Rookie

Scott D is off the scale

The AVIC- Z1 dose not come with a TV tuner, you have to buy that separate. I asked the pioneer dealer that installed my unit about it and he told me the pioneer brand cost about $400.00 and isn?t very good( lots of snow, grainy picture) and then he said there is a non pioneer brand for about 250.00, some a little cheaper, that?s even worse. Then he said to me ?Why do you want to spend that much money to watch TV and get three channels, four if your lucky with bad reception when you have a built in DVD player?. What he said made sense to me, so I never perused the issue. But I think at lot has to do with your topographical location, i.e. tall buildings, trees, mountains, etc?

Also remember unlike your home TV antenna it?s going to be nearly imposable to tune the antenna mounted on a moving vehicle. Even when parked your reception is always going to be changing due to your surroundings.

If you?re really interested in watching TV I would look into mobile satellite TV for vehicles. I?m not sure on the actual name, but I?ve seen it at the auto accessory stores. It?s a petty big box that mounts to the roof rails. Not sure on the price, I want to say its a couple grand but I?m not positive. I?ve only seen two around town. Not sure if they were local or just passing through. One was a Navigator and the other was an Escalade.

I know there?s a few people on this forum that have the AVIC-Z1, not sure if they have the TV tuner and how its working out for them, it?s wroth asking. If you can, try and find someone that has the TV tuner installed and ask them how happy they are with it, because my experience (except my dealer he seemed to be very honest with me for some reason) is that the dealer or retail shop is going to tell you how great it is just so they can make a sale, which you can?t blame them to much because that?s how many of them make a living. All im saying is be a smart informed consumer before you buy. Research, Research, Research!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
You've probably already read about this but most aftermarket NAV systems have a wire that goes to the brake. If you ground this wire to the firewall instead it fools the system to allow you to program it on the fly.

Not true for the AVIC Z1, earlier models took a flasher module built wired into the illumination wire, newer models require a wire to be added. But, the lockout features can be bypassed.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

You can use the factory navigation system by installing a switch on the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire going into the back of the headunit.* You could simply disconnect it, but you will lose some accuracy doing this.* There are a few writeups on the internet showing you how to do this.* Here is one on CAFCNA.* If you search there for VSS, you will find about a half-dozen other writeups on it, with lots of information.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar-Ral
You can use the factory navigation system by installing a switch on the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire going into the back of the headunit.* You could simply disconnect it, but you will lose some accuracy doing this.* There are a few writeups on the internet showing you how to do this.* Here is one on CAFCNA.* If you search there for VSS, you will find about a half-dozen other writeups on it, with lots of information.

You can try this, it MIGHT work, and it will not take that long to try it out. But, the newer vehicles with the new style BCMs are controlled differrently. The H3 has the latest BCM model, and does things a lot differently.
So, the question is does the nav use the VSS for accuracy as well as lock out of the features, or on the H3, does it use it only for accuracy?
Again, I have no idea, but it might be worth a try to see if it works.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waiting on my Black H3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: OEM Navi Bypass

There is a bypass so you can use Nav on the run. Go to the Tahoe forum and you will find part number to buy. tahoeforum.com
I have been interested myself. Have a 2006 H3 since July 05, and now wanting to purchase a new Black 2007 H3 with factory Nav. ALso want to hook up a rear camera to it like the Tahoe has from the factory.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting on my Black H3
I have been interested myself. Have a 2006 H3 since July 05, and now wanting to purchase a new Black 2007 H3 with factory Nav.

Are you going to Dew Hummer's Happening in late October?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights