H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road
Default Hummer Recall

Here we go again !!!

WASHINGTON - General Motors Co. said Tuesday it was recalling about 1.5 million vehicles worldwide to address a problem with a heated windshield wiper fluid system that could lead to a fire, its second recall over the issue in two years.

The recall affects several pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles, crossovers and passenger car models from the 2006 to 2009 model years. GM conducted a similar recall in 2008 but came across new reports of fires in vehicles that had been fixed.

GM said it would disable the heated washer fluid system module that could lead to fires. The Detroit automaker will pay owners and those leasing vehicles $100 each since the feature is being disabled.

GM said it was aware of five fires but there had been no injuries or crashes reported. Nearly 1.4 million vehicles are in the U.S. and more than 100,000 vehicles are in Canada, Mexico and other international markets.

"While our analysis shows the number of incidents is very small compared with the number of vehicles on the road, we want our customers to have complete peace of mind," said Jeff Boyer, GM's executive director of safety.

The recall covers the 2006-2009 model year Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS, and Hummer H2; 2008-2009 Buick Enclave and Cadillac CTS; 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT; 2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban and Tahoe; 2007-2009 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL; 2007-2009 Saturn Outlook; and 2009 Chevrolet Traverse.

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 06-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer Recall

too bad it only covers teh 2006 to 2009 models.

while my wipers work and all right now, there was a brief time when the wipers seemed to lock up and not move at all. not sure what happened, but it hasnt repeated yet.

it still bugs me tho that it did it once... every time it rains, i am worried it will do it again.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Olfart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
too bad it only covers teh 2006 to 2009 models.

while my wipers work and all right now, there was a brief time when the wipers seemed to lock up and not move at all. not sure what happened, but it hasnt repeated yet.

it still bugs me tho that it did it once... every time it rains, i am worried it will do it again.

Probably moisture getting into the wiper control module which is part of the wiper motor. I had my module replaced under warranty on my 2004 as this was a common problem. If you search this forum you will find that some owners were able to fix the problem by drying out the inside of the module and sealing it with RTV. A replacement is over $ 300 since the motor and module are a one pice assembly.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

dvl57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer Recall- not all 2008 & 2009

To my understanding it's not all 2008 & 2009 H2's.

Most do not have the heated wiper fluid system. I think it's those who have that button right below the interior light dome illumination function.

Most like myself have a illustration diagram showing an increasing half circle.

I just have the normal winshield wiper system.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

I have the wiper system in my 06 LE. I believe only the LE's have them in the H2's. I must say I like the feature and I'm dissapointed that the fix is to just disable it. What the hell, there is not another system or fix? GM really sucks now! " Oh, I have the the heated window fluid system, it doesnt work, GM said it may cause a fire, sothey said just disconnect it and you'll be fine. "
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

The company that made that heated windshield wiper fluid feature...went bankrupt and folded. Thus, there isn't a fix. It sucks for those who have it and need it especially in the snowy weather.

For 08 & 09 H2 owners...this pic shows those who do have the feature: (you can see the windshield heated wiper emblem)

Thus, you'll need to take it into the dealer...takes 10-15 mins for them to "unplug" this option.
Attached Images

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust

Last edited by dvl57 : 06-09-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Those 08 & 09 H2 owners who don't have it:

never even thought I was missing anything.
Attached Images

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust
Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Hummer Expert

Could it cause a fire if left alone but not used?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

But they're giving us $100.00 lol

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

Devis1957 is on a distinguished road

Anybody collected yet?

It does piss me off that they are allowed just to disconnect it and not have someone tool up to make repair parts. I'm sure that GM was one of the primary owners of the original company that made the unit and were allowed to close and dispose................

Probably just some owner loyalty cash coupon........................
Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

Luv2Camp is on a distinguished road

Spoke with a dealership today and was told that they are not just unplugging it. They will remove the fuse, cut the wiring harness, remove some of the system and re-route the tubing. I do not want to give this feature up! I could care less about the $100. That $100 will be gone quick and will be left starring at the button for the heated windshield fluid for years!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Camp
Spoke with a dealership today and was told that they are not just unplugging it. They will remove the fuse, cut the wiring harness, remove some of the system and re-route the tubing. I do not want to give this feature up! I could care less about the $100. That $100 will be gone quick and will be left starring at the button for the heated windshield fluid for years!
My point exactly! I'm sure there another company out there that makes these things.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

GM told me that after the dealership "disables" the system, a few weeks later, you'll be getting a check from the dealer directly.

2008 H2
Billy Boat Exhaust
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi gm has a new harness to fix the problem part #20773432, it has inline fuse on the ground wire. They will fix it on all vehicles 2006/2008 that have the heated washer under warranty or not.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/

Last edited by twr : 06-10-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

jmanley is on a distinguished road

Does this fixed harness mean that I don't need to take it in and have wires cut and system disabled? Why wouldn't they do that then?

Hate to lose that feature on my 08 H2.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Hummer Expert

Hi gm will fix all vehicles that have the problem as of apr 2009 read below. Call your dealer and tell them its tsb #08048c

# 08048C: Product Safety - Heated Windshield Washer Module Short Circuit - Add Wire Harness - (Apr 28, 2009)

Subject: 08048C -- Heated Windshield Washer Module Short Circuit - Add Wire Harness

Models: 2006-2008 Buick Lucerne
2008 Buick Enclave
2006-2008 Cadillac DTS
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2006-2008 HUMMER H2
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with Heated Washer Fluid System

The service procedure in this bulletin has been revised to include verification that the fluid system dispenses heated fluid. Please discard all copies of bulletin 08048B, issued October 2008.

Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2006-2008 model year Buick Lucerne; Cadillac DTS; HUMMER H2 vehicles; 2007-2008 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave vehicles equipped with a heated washer fluid system. A short circuit on the printed circuit board for the washer fluid heater may overheat the control-circuit ground wire. This may cause other electrical malfunctions, create an odor, or cause smoke. In rare cases, it may cause a fire.

Correction

Dealers/retailers are to install a wire harness with an in-line fuse.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2006-2008 model year Buick Lucerne; Cadillac DTS; HUMMER H2 vehicle; 2007-2008 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave vehicles equipped with a heated washer fluid system and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Important:
Dealers/retailers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system(s) below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

- GM dealers and Canadian Saturn/Saab retailers should use GMVIS.

- Saturn US retailers should use the 'Investigate Vehicle History' link on the Global Warranty Management application within DealerWorld.

For dealers/retailers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers/retailers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

- US GM and Saturn dealers/retailers - GM DealerWorld Recall Information- Canadian GM/Saturn/Saab dealers/retailers - GMinfoNet Recall Reports- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information

GM, Saturn Canada Only: Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. This part is not eligible for RIM Management . Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Saturn US Only: A pre-shipment of the required parts to perform this recall has been sent to involved Saturn US retailers from Saturn Service Parts Operations (SSPO).

Service Procedure

Important:
The windshield solvent heater module (1) is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment near the front fender upper brace (if equipped), master cylinder reservoir, and lower plenum panel. For the Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne, the windshield solvent heater module is mounted to the front of dash on the passenger's side of the engine compartment.

1. Locate the windshield solvent heater module.

2. Disconnect the windshield solvent heater module wire harness (1) from the heater module (2).

3. Connect the jumper harness with the in-line fuse (1) to the windshield solvent heater module wire harness (2) as shown in the illustration.

4. Connect the other end of the jumper harness into the connector (1) at the windshield solvent heater module.

5. Ensure that the jumper harness and windshield solvent heater module wire harness are routed and secured properly.

6. For vehicles that previously had the 60 amp heated windshield washer fuse removed, retrieve the fuse from the glove compartment and reinstall the fuse.

Important:
It may take up to 40 seconds for the heated washer fluid system to dispense heated fluid.

7. Verify the operation of the heated washer fluid system. Ensure the system dispenses heated fluid.

Claim Information - GM, Saturn Canada Only

Claim Information - Saturn US Only

Customer Notification - For US and Canada

General Motors notified customers of this recall on their vehicle in September 2008.

Customer Notification - For Export

Letters were sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Dealer Recall Responsibility - For US and Export (US States, Territories, and Possessions)

The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.

Dealer Recall Responsibility - All

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Last edited by twr : 06-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Luv2Camp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr
Hi gm will fix all vehicles that have the problem as of apr 2009 read below. Call your dealer and tell them its tsb #08048c

From my understanding, this recall is because the TSB you mentioned does not fix the new issue that was found. I was told that even though I had this in-line fuse done on mine that this new issue is not something that can be fixed
Old 06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Hi sorry i didn't know their was a another problem found with them. The tsb was wrote in apr 2009.

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Last edited by twr : 06-10-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

finall is on a distinguished road

My wiring harness to the heated WW fluid system was recalled a few months ago, and I got it fixed.

So I get a call today from our Hummer dealer about our 07 H2 with the heated windshield washer fluid option. 2 days after the recall was announced on the news. Must be a really important recall. No letter, but a personal call from GM. Wow! Apparently the first recall did not fix the problem.

They tell me all the H2 with this option all again recalled. And the company that supplied it has gone bankrupt and closed. Then they tell me that they have to "remove the system" from my vehicle, since it could otherwise catch on fire and burn to the ground. Liability I guess if they just disconnected it instead. They offer me $105 (canadian as I am in Canada) to pay me for the part they are yanking out of our H2.

Then I would be left with one less option, and a useless button on the dash. (the button is right in the middle of the carbon fibre-look dash on our LE, not part of some other button on the 08-10). They said that the can not replace the unit, as no other exists in the world that they could retrofit.

So I ask you, Hummer braniacs, what to do? What actually catches on fire, a module or wiring? Can the system be simply disabled by removing ALL electrical current from the heated WW system, and just leave it in the vehicle? Does it have its own dedicated fused circuit, or not? I need a definitive answer, not just a guess, as this is very important.

The answer to this question will undoubtedly help thousands of other H2 owners to avoid butchering of their H2 by GM.

Help Please!

Last edited by finall : 06-11-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

finall is on a distinguished road

So I see that according to GM, your chance of having a fire is 5/1.5 million?

WTF?!

You have a better chance of winning the Lotto than having your H2 melt into a puddle of flaming plastic and rubber.....

I want to keep my heated windshield washer system.

FYI: They recalled the roof on our Vette, and I got back a piece of cra*p roof in the wrong color. Had to spend hundreds of $ to put the car back right with correct paint match. Not reimbursed from the General.

Have nightmares of some schmuck cutting the wiring harness "Gawleee, look at dem dar wires Wilbur."

Your thoughts?

Last edited by finall : 06-11-2010 at 02:42 AM.