H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Two odd things I've noticed on mine.

Yesterday, when I started the H2, the fuel gage registered a little lower than half-way between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. It stayed like that for about two full miles of driving. Then it went up to about 1/2 and stayed there. Then, after some more driving, it was just a hair below 1/2. I filled up my tank (made sure it was full) with 13.1 gallons.

Has anyone else noticed this delayed movement of the gage?

Also, based on the gage, I would have about a 26 gallon tank instead of 32 gallons. When the gage goes empty, do I have about 5 or 6 gallons as a "reserve" left or something? It's kind of wierd that my gage reads slightly under 1/2 tank when I have 19 of my 32 gallons left.

Also, my "range" thing always reads way low. It always seems to indicate that I have the range that would equal the number of gallons I should have left times about 8 mpg, even though I've been averaging 12-13 mpg since I bought it.

These things aren't big concerns, but I was hoping someone could let me know if my system was acting odd in a way that's similar to everyone else's H2s, or if I'm alone on this one.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Two odd things I've noticed on mine.

Yesterday, when I started the H2, the fuel gage registered a little lower than half-way between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. It stayed like that for about two full miles of driving. Then it went up to about 1/2 and stayed there. Then, after some more driving, it was just a hair below 1/2. I filled up my tank (made sure it was full) with 13.1 gallons.

Has anyone else noticed this delayed movement of the gage?

Also, based on the gage, I would have about a 26 gallon tank instead of 32 gallons. When the gage goes empty, do I have about 5 or 6 gallons as a "reserve" left or something? It's kind of wierd that my gage reads slightly under 1/2 tank when I have 19 of my 32 gallons left.

Also, my "range" thing always reads way low. It always seems to indicate that I have the range that would equal the number of gallons I should have left times about 8 mpg, even though I've been averaging 12-13 mpg since I bought it.

These things aren't big concerns, but I was hoping someone could let me know if my system was acting odd in a way that's similar to everyone else's H2s, or if I'm alone on this one.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

That's some nice mileage right there, Phil.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure that this applies here but it seems to me that alot of GM's have fuel gauge problems. I had to replace the fuel pump on my Yukon twice and I always had problems on my Corvette.

With the vette, I found that Shell (which contains alot of sulphur) created problems. Many people on the Corvette forum experienced the EXACT same problems using the same gas.

I haven't come across anything on the H2 but I'm assuming if it follows the path as some of my GM's, I'll have a problem with it too.

Pay attention to what brand gas you use and see if you see any correlations.

Other than that, you'll probably have to replace the fuel pump. (since the float level which is what screws up is attached to the pump)

Mark
Old 02-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does that everyday. I figured it's because of the grade on my driveway. If I park head higher, my gauge would show more, and settle lower after a while. Tail up, reverse.

Someone told me fuel tank for 4x4s have some kind of baffle in them to prevent fuel from sloshing around too much when offroading (?). Could this explain the "delay" in gauge correction?

I've driven mine on empty long enough for the second "FUEL VERY VERY LOW" warning to come on.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

When my info center distance to empty shows 20 to 30 miles, it also shows I've used 26 to 27 gallons of gas. When I refill, to the max, it takes 26 to 27 gallons.
I've just assumed there is an unshown reserve, of fuel, in the 32 gallon tank. However, I haven't tested that assumption by running the tank bone dry.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be careful when running the fuel tank low. I know in the chrysler products, there was actually a concern with the fuel pump overheating due to lack of fuel to cool it. It was enough for the fuel pump to intermittently shut down and leave you stranded.

I could actually hear my fuel pump get louder as the fuel level decreased. If you stand by the rear of the vehicle(Duh!), and listen when your tank is Full, half and near empty(Which could mean you are standing there for atleast 10 mins!) there is a noticable difference in the sound of your fuel pump!

This has just been my experience, although I never had to change mine out, I'm sure it's just a matter of time!

Ric-H0
Old 02-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Hummer Guru

Not only that... have you ever seen what the inside of a fuel tank looks like? You'd think it be pretty clean but there's alot of crap floating around in there.

Of course, I'm guilty, I usually don't let my tank get down below 1/4 tank and the other day I just didn't have time to stop.

Imagine my surprise when it took 32.1 gallons.

Mark
Old 02-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
Not only that... have you ever seen what the inside of a fuel tank looks like? You'd think it be pretty clean but there's alot of crap floating around in there.

Of course, I'm guilty, I usually don't let my tank get down below 1/4 tank and the other day I just didn't have time to stop.

Imagine my surprise when it took 32.1 gallons.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I guess you at least have a 32 gal tank Orange.
Thanks for the replies guys.
As a side note, I've noticed on my Sierra (same DIC thingy) that some pumps indicate that the amount I use to fill up is about the same as what the DIC says, and others read a little more. I think some of the pumps rip you off a little - e.g., you're paying for 26 gallons and only getting 25.5 or something.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think some of the pumps rip you off a little - e.g., you're paying for 26 gallons and only getting 25.5 or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny you mention that. Many times I fill up and look at the gallons used and wonder how accurate the actual gallons used are. (eg. 32.1 gallons)
They'e suppose to be certified but I'm sure like anything else, they need to be recalibrated once in a while.

Mark
Old 02-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Hummer Guru

As an update, I've consistently been getting 12-13 mpg on my H2 around town, which I think is pretty good. The fuel gauge says that the tank is half full after using about 12.5 gallons since it was full and says it is 1/4 full after using about 18.5 gallons.

When the tank is full, the DIC says I have a range of 330 miles. thus, after using 16 gallons (i.e. half of the 32-gallon tank), it should obviously say I have a range of 165 miles (330/2), right? Instead, it says I have a range of 120 miles after using 16 gallons.

The only reasonable explanation to me is that the DIC "thinks" I only have a 25 or 26 gallon tank.

Is it possible to reprogram the DIC to believe that I have a 32 gallon tank?

As a side concern, even if it is possible to reprogram the DIC, will it be offended?
For example, will it cut off my oxygen supply and leave me stranded in outer space like HAL did to Major Bowman in "2001: A Space Odyssey" after he questioned HAL's accuracy in assessing the fault in the AE35 unit? Is DIC monitoring my posts on this forum? I don't want to irritate DIC, but I was hoping it could be more accurate. However, I also don't want to end up without oxygen like Major Bowman.
I appreciate any answers you can provide. I've fielded this question to the stealership, but I'm not confident I am going to get an adequate response.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

menuserve.com is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Gage

this is strange... with a 32 gallon tank why would it be basing all its data on just 26 gallons?

:: Free Online Dating :: Restaurant Takeout & Delivery Menus ::
Old 05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

I would guess and say that the DIC calculates non-reserve fuel, thus the 26 gal. Could it be that Reserve is just what it is Reserve? I dont leave much confidence to filling stations readouts either. The meters should be calibrated but so many pumps and so many stations..... It easy to say well the last time I checked it was good.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

menuserve.com is on a distinguished road

6 gallons of reserve seems kind of crazy doesn't it?

:: Free Online Dating :: Restaurant Takeout & Delivery Menus ::
Old 05-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

At an average of say 10-12 miles to the gallon 6 gallons makes 60-72 miles (the average of most reserve on cars. Also we are talking 32 gallon capacity I would not find that excessive. One fifth of the tank total. While its more than most the mileage comes out right, given I have a landcruiser when on reserve I will get an additional 60 miles on the tank.

Last edited by H2 Ranger : 05-19-2006 at 07:10 PM.