H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

STS is excited to become a Sponsor of the Hummer Forums.

Our goal in becoming a sponsor is to let people know there is another option for adding power to their H2 and be here to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

All of the information about the system is on our website. http://www.ststurbo.com

Key stats are at 5 psi we saw the following results:

Rear Wheel Horsepower: 316
%'d increase: 60%

Rear Wheel Torque: 350
%'d increase: 46%

You may have seen the actual dyno run on the Guns and Gears TV Show.

Most people don't believe a remote mounted turbo system will work. The biggest questions are around turbo lag and the air filter location. The fact is that is does work. We've got hundreds of happy customers.

This system achieves full boost by 3000 rpm in first gear. Turbos are load dependent, so on the free way in higher gears the boost comes on sooner, usually before 2000 rpm. I personally have a 6.0L truck with the remote mounted system on it. I've turned up the boost and get 7 psi by 3000 rpm. Besides the power, the coolest part about the system is the sound it makes. You get a deep V8 rumble combined with the turbo spool.

Check out the testimonial section of the site to see responses from our customers.

Air filter location is not an issue for normal everyday driving. It comes with a Outerwears Drycharger Sock that sheds water. All of our test vehicles are everyday drivers and we drive them all winter long in Utah. For those of you that take your H2 offroad, the solution is very simple. We sell a snorkel hose kit that relocates the air filter above wheel level.

For $5195 this system comes complete with tuning and fuel system upgrades.

If you have any questions, I'll watch the forum and do my best to get you timely responses.

Thanks!

Ben @ STS
Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

OOOps, you snuck the sheet in while I was typing. Thanks and it looks good.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Thanks for answering those. I have more:

The K&N you supply chaffs on the brake lines and the fuel filler hose. Have you fixed that yet? And if so, how did you fix it? I'd hate to see some deadly problem caused by that.

Also, the issue of the rock rails. Many guys and gals on this forum use their trucks offroad. Your design requires cutting the rail supports subsantially to install, thus rendering one nearly useless. Have you fixed this problem yet? And how have you fixed it?

Could you post pics of the system installed on an H2? Both the underside and engine bay.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Posted by Turbo H2:
With Jonahs, the only thing I will say is that oiling system was installed incorrectly. We've had many customers with the 6.0L engine running for over a year with no issues, including my truck, which was the first 6.0L truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You said the oiling system wasn't installed correctly on his truck. Hard to prove problem, I'm sure. How, exactly, was it determined that was the problem? Dealer inspection or some other method? Since his was one of, if not the first, H2 with your system, how did you assist in the install? And more importantly, how did you assist in the repair?

Can't wait to see the dyno sheets. Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The K&N issue you talk about is addressed in the instruction manual. There is a bracket that must be bent so that the filter does not rub on the brake lines.

We did not know that our first H2 had aftermarket rails, there wasn't an issue. We received feedback from one of the dealers that they had to make a notch in the stock rail, but they didn't have to cut the rail support. We will get a stock H2, take a look at the severity of the issue and come up with a fix.

I don't want to comment on Jonah's issue as we were not given a chance to talk with him, only his attorney. We tried many times and wish we could talk with him and work to a win-win, but that is not the case. I'm sure you can appreciate for legal reasons why I cannot say more than this...

We have hundreds of other happy customers that love their systems. If needed, we can provide you with customers that are willing to comment on their positive experience with STS. The testimonials section of our website are submitted from customers as well. http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials

Thanks!

Ben
Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
The Nelso tune leaves the torque management in but from what I see in Dennis' post all you have to do is hit the tow/haul button to eliminate that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! Don't knock it!

That's ma po man's version of an SC. I'll be getting one soon.

My Video Collectionez

Old 06-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

It is seems funny that STS would do a twin turbo since on their website they make the statement it will not be beneficial. That was the 2nd thing I had asked them in the request contacts that they were not interested and I told them it would work and be a huge shot to the company image. I was moving from the original normal R@D on H2 to doing something that was on the edge but, again was told twin turbos are not going to help. I told them maybe not on a small car but, I can tell You it will help on a rig that weighs 7000 lbs. Go to 2 smaller turbo's so they will spool up very quickly and create alot more low end torqe which is what the H2 needs. I said once You get them rolling they will move out in a hurry. I explained how i understood how the turbo works and a bigger turbo does not spool as quick as a smaller one. You run the same boost of 5 pounds on each turbo and You do not double the boost but, using the smaller turbo just let's them spool quicker and for Me since I had headers which I was told would not be good and need to bring my stock exhaust to go back on. I disagreed then and said I will design it to work with headers so the idea of the twins were born as We would get alot of exhaust running to the small turbo and spool under 2000 rpm. We talked to turbo manufactures who helped Us decide on the size of twins to use. They said if it was not right they would take them back and give us another set to try.
Well anyway I'm just surprised they messed with twins when they say on the website in the FAQ's that it would not help to do twins.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Ken looking into water/methanol injection now. See several I like. I have a forced induction guy who likes to use small amount of nitrous for cooling fuel and nitrous never gets into the cylinder as far as enough to get any power from it. Going to look at that but, most I have visited with likes the W/M injection.
The nitrous would be simpler to use so will give it a serious look. Set it up with bottle etc. and inject nitrous at WOT just like W/M.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2turbo:
We sponsored this forum to answer people's questions. I'll continue to do my best and if there are issues that the forum members feel need to be resolved, we'll take a look at it and do our best to resolve them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's great and is why I'm asking. These things have been eating at me since I heard about your system. It's great to actually hear from a product manufacturer and thanks for answering the questions posed to you. You'd be surprised how many won't. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I wanted to understand the question. After your last post, I was typing up a response when I saw your new reply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I understand.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We've rarely denied a warranty claim unless it was totally obvious that it was misused or installed improperly. We are in business and must keep our customers happy if we want to stay in business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've been in the hospitality business for years, so I understand what you are saying. But my question was more direct than your answer. How do you diagnose a problem as being the fault of the installer? You claim this turbo system can be installed by mechanically inclined people in "X" amount of time. Do you fly someone to my home to check it out? Do I have to ship my truck to you? With LPE, ( I know, different company, different terms, different price), they came and got my truck, fixed it and returned it. No charge. For 5k+ I wouldn't expect you to do the same, but how do you make the determination?

You also stated:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We recommend that people go through our dealers for a professional install. I'll make that more prominent on the website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Fantastic. I didn't see that anywhere. But does that have an affect on the warranty? I'm feeling I'm not getting solid answers on this which is why I keep going back to it. I'm sure you can straighten this out for me.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Hummer Messiah

I guess you can ignore my warranty questions if you want. I found this after looking around your site for awhile http://www.ststurbo.com/refund_warranty_policies :<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Squires Turbo Systems is not responsible for any damage to your vehicle caused by the turbo system or any other components. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Unless, of course, there is something else there you can elaborate on.

You mention Kenny Duttweiler in a previous post. Did he help you with your product? Just curious because I used a few of his products in the late '80's when I was running a Buick GN. My best was a 10.17 @ 135. Never enough to be anywhere near his league. He, Conley, Bell, D'Alesandro and some others were the names back then in Turbos. Especially turbo Buicks.

Anyway, of course a poorly engineered turbo setup could melt the master cylinder. Hell, it could melt a lot more than that. So this statement<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> When we visited with Kenny Duttweiler he said that many times he's seen people melt the fluid container for the master and get brake fluid everywhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>doesn't really mean alot. A heatshield should be plenty with a well engineered kit.

You said this:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cost - if a front mount kit is available, it generally costs more money and will cost more to install. I've searched around a little bit and the only turbo system I could find for the H2 was one in R&D that was selling for $10,500. Generally turbo systems are custom jobs that cost a ton of money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could you post a link? The only turbo setups I've seen for the H2 are working TT setups. I'd love to see what a single setup looks like.

You said:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you want to get the best value for horsepower then you can't beat our system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think anyone is questioning that. Nor do I think anyone will. But as you can see, there are questions to be asked and answered. I think a huge concern is for the Back Yard mechanic installing it and having a catastrophic failure that's "his fault". One that's hard to prove, but deemed his fault.

Another issue is hitting the trails. There's a lot of components down there with your system that could be damaged. Possible leaving someone on the stranded on the trail.

Next up.... Lag. Or lack of it.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Hummer Novice

Rich S. is off the scale

Search for the threads on LS1.com and LS1Tech.com for many positive feedback postings on this system. I've piloted a couple of F-bodies with it and they drive incredibly well. It's a great bang for the buck IMHO. Tuning is the key in the LS series engines.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Turbo:
At the volumes that we could commit to the warranty was going to be too expensive. As our volumes increase, the price of the warranty will go down and we will start to offer it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you know the answer to this I'll be surprised, but I'll ask anyway because it just popped in my head. If I don't ask it'll drive me crazy. If someone has your setup installed now and a warranty becomes available later, will you make it available to them also? And lastly, using your current sales and install figures and future projections, how long until one is ready? Best guess?

Thanks again, Ben. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question. When I talk to the insurance company I'll ask them if we can sell a warranty to those systems that were already installed by authorized dealers.

Based on current projections, I would think that we'd have enough volume in 6 months. If things don't go as well as hoped, probably another year.

Ben
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich S.:
Not going with an STS since I actually take some of my vehicles off road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like the best thing you've posted yet. Since you put a smiley in there, I'll stop here.

Taz, your probably right, a good cage attached to some very strong points on the chassis may do the trick. That and avoiding water.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:10 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

KenP,

Sorry, it's been a busy Monday.

We do not currently offer an additional powertrain warranty like Magnuson.

At the volumes that we could commit to the warranty was going to be too expensive. As our volumes increase, the price of the warranty will go down and we will start to offer it.

From what I've found you really need to read the fine print. There are a lot of exclusions. If you are going to make your purchase decision on this point, I would make sure you get the warranty and talk to them exactly what is excluded and the process that it takes to get the warranty.

That being said, it is illegal for a dealership to automatically void your warranty by installing an aftermarket part. Search on the magnuson moss warranty act and you'll find a ton of information on it.

If you do have a warranty claim and they can prove that it was the aftermarket part that caused it, they can at that point NOT honor the warranty.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I also would worry about heat transfer to the rear diff. The rear diff is already subjected to extreme heat based on internal friction alone, adding additional heatt from an external source ie." The turbo "would cause the gear oil to break down quicker causing increased wear and just another thought the Eaton locker in the rear diff is solenoid activated and solenoids dont like heat it tends to make them a bit flaky.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Hummer Novice

Rich S. is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich S.:
Search for the threads on LS1.com and LS1Tech.com for many positive feedback postings on this system. I've piloted a couple of F-bodies with it and they drive incredibly well. It's a great bang for the buck IMHO. Tuning is the key in the LS series engines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rich, since you know so much, why don't you get one instead of asking about other options?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rich's first post about the Mag SC:
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5106011751/m/426108...261086621#4261086621
Bought a used 2004 H2 last week and I'm considering installing a magnacharger[quote] [quote] Rich's second post about Whipple:
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/4616043161/m/554109...361074721#5361074721
Do they come with any tuning options included or any fuel system upgrades? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm considering many options a**hat . Not going with an STS since I actually take some of my vehicles off road. There are more positive results than negative on the mentioned sites. I can post links all day as well.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
I was waiting for that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nice to be predictable.

Do you hear the turbo whine when it has spooled up like one that's under the hood?

Do you know if the torque management is removed in the PCM tune?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Turbo:
At the volumes that we could commit to the warranty was going to be too expensive. As our volumes increase, the price of the warranty will go down and we will start to offer it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you know the answer to this I'll be surprised, but I'll ask anyway because it just popped in my head. If I don't ask it'll drive me crazy. If someone has your setup installed now and a warranty becomes available later, will you make it available to them also? And lastly, using your current sales and install figures and future projections, how long until one is ready? Best guess?

Thanks again, Ben.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:23 AM
Hummer Messiah

Search for the threads on LS1.com and LS1Tech.com for many positive feedback postings on this system. I've piloted a couple of F-bodies with it and they drive incredibly well. It's a great bang for the buck IMHO. Tuning is the key in the LS series engines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rich, since you know so much, why don't you get one instead of asking about other options?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rich's first post about the Mag SC:
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5106011751/m/426108...261086621#4261086621
Bought a used 2004 H2 last week and I'm considering installing a magnacharger[quote] [quote] Rich's second post about Whipple:
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/4616043161/m/554109...361074721#5361074721
Do they come with any tuning options included or any fuel system upgrades? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2turbo:
As much as possible, let's try to keep this thread professional. I know the system is controversial, that's why I'm here to answer your questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent attitude! I will keep up with interest..
Old 06-16-2005, 01:02 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

A few other things I forgot to mention:

1. After removing the stock air filter box you have an abundance of room to mount other accessories under the hood.
2. You could get the kit less the injectors & tune and then buy the injectors yourself and have you're local speed shop do the tune. Probably save a net of about $400
3. I added a small inline oil filter to the return oil line. Probably not necessary but a nice precaution they should consider.
4. With all that water splashing on your air filter it should keep it nice and clean!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

Second pic showing the H2 off the lift.
Attached Images