H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

How's H1 as a daily ride?
1- It is 5" wider. My H2 is already taking up all the width of most parking spaces to the edges. Living in the hills, there are many narrow roads and bridges, even with the H2, I slow down and affraid my side mirrors may fly off.

2- How many seats? 4 only? as parents of 2 teenage sons, their friend(s) come along often, to movies, shopping, paintball, ski, etc. It is so much fun to be a parent of teenagers. Is there room for 1 or 2 more kids?

3- On some daily runs, you stop by at many places, it gets tiring and annoying with some vehicles. When I had stick shift Jeeps as rentals in Hawaii on many occasions, it gets annoying to get back into them. They are fun as toys, but after a few hours, they are WORK.

4- How's the ride and noise on pavement? We travel long distance several times a year, ski or kayaking, river rafting, etc. H2 is quiet and comfortable and smooth, we can go for hours without getting tired.

5- Some H1 owner mentioned the bad smell of diesel or whatever. Is that the case?

I love the H1 look, and I don't need to check numbers to know I can afford H1, but I do not and cannot have a vehicle I just drive as toy on weekends, I've done that to know they are nothing but trouble and big expensive paperweight.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thai:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
The enviro-nazis didn't receive programming for that vehicle. And the G-Wagens suck off-road. I don't know of a single person that ever wheels theirs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, you're talking to one. You'll try being smarter next time, OK?? Promise?

H2 is just amazing off-road. That's a true Hummer, alright! Chevy makes great off-roaders these days, don't they? They are just out of this world. Nothing like it...except for Chevys, Caddys, and GMCs. But, who's counting?!

Sensitive, huh? You're more so than my girlfriend! You need some happy pills!

I will leave you pondering this post...OK? And i will try being nicer next time.

Nice thread.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you bring your POS to Moab and we'll play "I go, you go" and see which rig is better. I'd be amazed if you made it there.

In the meantime, why don't you post some pics of your rig's incredible wheeling prowess. So far I'm less than impressed with the MB cat boxes.

BTW, your screen name is phonetically similar to the Indonesian word for shi<span class="ev_code_BLACK">t</span>. Did you know that?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:03 PM

TootsSUT is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thai:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tootsie:
Hey, Thai-Chee?? You are stepping on the wrong e-toes. Leave while you're behind, huh?

hehehehehe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thai-chee?! Learn to spell first little girl. Who comes up with this?? Must be a blond.

Must say though, you guys are pretty sensitive and get personal real quick...interesting group of people with a "complex". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speeling has nefer been a area dat Ive had pwoblems wit!! It was a joke, sh.it for brains. I was also trying to give you some good advice however, it appears as though you are too stupid to understand/listen to it. Now you have included me in your e-mess.

Tell me, how did you get "sensitive" or "personal" out of what I posted?? Now, had I said "You're not looking for your misplaced b.itch. You are the lost b.itch!!" OR "Why don't you stop by for some beer while I turn your f.uckin loser of a G5 in to a pancake with my Hummer!", I would have to say you were right. But I would never say such things, now would I???

This is just a warm up. I'm certainly capable of kicking your e-ass all over the e-net so, once again, stop while your behind!! My dogs crap bigger turds than you!

I'm grabbing some popcorn and the easy chair for this show!!

(By the way, go back to your second post here and remember who really started the sensitive, personal sh.it!)

\'05 Black SUT LUX/ADV package
Old 02-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

The slantback was only produced in '01, I think, and there were less than 40 made, so good luck.

Maintenance is not that bad, especially if you do the easy stuff yourself. The dealer will eat you alive on simple stuff like brakes and oil changes. Do it yourself or find someone you trust that won't rip you off so bad.

Scot Smith
1994 HMC4, Locked
"They're right, Wider IS Better..."
Southern Axle & SteeringRemanufactured Driveline & Steering Parts for Hummers

Steering, Driveline & other Hummer Stuff
Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, enough fun here...see you guys (and gals) around the trails. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I highly doubt it. There's no tunnel system or jungle in Moab.

My Video Collectionez

Old 01-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

S500 is the safest choice, can't go wrong, but there are 2 in the families already, and dozens at kid's school. Once we are used to the height and size of the Hummer, it is just no longer comfortable to drive sedans, which could be the case with S500.

H1 limited seats could be a real issue. The jump seat may not work for us, 15 yr old son is 6', 13 yr guy is getting close to 6', likewise with their friends. In no time, they will be 6'2" +. But then again, once they start driving, we may not need more than 4 seats anymore.

According to what I see of H1s on eBay and Autotrader, prices are not cheap for used ones, not really good value compare to same year used cars. On the other side of the coin, it retains its value. I will start with a trip to the dealer lot. I am surprise used H1 prices are high.

If we get H1, my wife gets H2, if we get S500, she gets S500. H2 is too big for 16 yr old kid, I just started searching used cars, maybe Porsche Boxter, they are surprisingly cheap. ML is cheap too but ugly. Too early to say, I am taking my sweet time and enjoy the process, time is on my side.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:27 AM

Thai is off the scale

Well, if you want something cheaper (1/2 price), but with some appeal, then why not consider the Mercedes G500?? It does not have the WOW factor of a H1...but it also attracts less attention from environmental snobs.

G500 is a smaller package (width-wise), more family friendly, more upscale inside, and pretty capable off-road (full lockers standard, SA's). It also has all the new technological safety nannies (stability control, 4-wheel traction control)...and all of these turn OFF when you lock the center differential (including ABS). It is hand-made, military-spec steel thickness, and as durable as H1.

But, with G500, you do lose the WOW factor, tremendous ground clearance, amazing off-road ability in open areas, and a really diesel engine (esp. Alpha). Damn, i am really jealous of the Alpha's diesel!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

1- It is 5" wider. My H2 is already taking up all the width of most parking spaces to the edges. Living in the hills, there are many narrow roads and bridges, even with the H2, I slow down and affraid my side mirrors may fly off.

2- How many seats? 4 only? as parents of 2 teenage sons, their friend(s) come along often, to movies, shopping, paintball, ski, etc. It is so much fun to be a parent of teenagers. Is there room for 1 or 2 more kids?

3- On some daily runs, you stop by at many places, it gets tiring and annoying with some vehicles. When I had stick shift Jeeps as rentals in Hawaii on many occasions, it gets annoying to get back into them. They are fun as toys, but after a few hours, they are WORK.

4- How's the ride and noise on pavement? We travel long distance several times a year, ski or kayaking, river rafting, etc. H2 is quiet and comfortable and smooth, we can go for hours without getting tired.

5- Some H1 owner mentioned the bad smell of diesel or whatever. Is that the case?

I love the H1 look, and I don't need to check numbers to know I can afford H1, but I do not and cannot have a vehicle I just drive as toy on weekends, I've done that to know they are nothing but trouble and big expensive paperweight.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Axle,

THAT is really good to know. I had no idea they would replace a halfshaft etc. (I knew you weren't talking about body damage). I'll have to talk to Mike over at Cerritos and see what he says.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jason
Old 02-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

All good to know.

I've heard tales that on the early ones (maybe the 1st year in production for the public?) they would send a helicopter out to pick it up if you broke down out in the middle of no where. Anyone out there know if this is true? Or is this service reserved for the enlisted?

Originally posted from Arizona Hummerboy
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My question is does the H1 cost alot to keep it up and running with maintence?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I understand, if you get behind and don't keep up with the little things, it can get ugly. Maybe certain years are worse than others, but I'm in the learning curve right now and am far from knowledgable.

What I can say is I've had mine for 3mo now, and drive it daily, off road moderately, and totally love it. There are still things about the H2 that I like and miss, but for now the H1 has the scale tipped.

John

----------
'02 HMCO
Old 01-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

To a great degree, it is a lifestyle issue rather than a hardware issue. I think I know the outcome to some degree. I had big MB sedans and open top for 20+ years, with S500, I am just going back to where I started. H1 surely will fill my life with excitement at a risk (reliability and practicality). Never had a Porsche, no need for turbo for me, 2 brothers-in-law have 911 and 996 now, I generally don't like to follow.

The more I read and search and talk the more I learned about H1. I might walk into the dealer and do something unexpected, as I always have done, such as H2.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Drtyfn...i knew that your loyal boyfriend would show up sooner or later. That's sweet that you guys always back each other up...and no pun intended!

I KNEW IT. Drtyfn is Dennis's little biatch!! I knew that somewhere an Asian kid wants his biatch back! Dennis, are you going on Oprah to share this "my biatch has finally return to me" reunion?! I am sure Jerry Springer will take you retards too (Springer's title show "My biatch better have my money!")

BTW, does Drtyfn wear that clown suit when you guys do the dirty stuff??

Oh yeah, Chevy Chevette is a much better car than my Dodge! You guys just don't learn! Your "Hummer H2" heritage is about as long as the average Chevy's lifespan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You do know that it's "bitch".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tootsie:
Hey, Thai-Chee?? You are stepping on the wrong e-toes. Leave while you're behind, huh?

hehehehehe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thai-chee?! Learn to spell first little girl. Who comes up with this?? Must be a blond.

Must say though, you guys are pretty sensitive and get personal real quick...interesting group of people with a "complex". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You want to see some sensitive? How about we troll your Gheywagen sites. I guarantee all of the wagen turds will get enraged and cry from butt hurt.

BTW, I saw where you said you were going to keep your pretend wheeler until you could afford a Range Rover. Link. You'll really be a stylin' beer bitch then.
Make the drive to Moab. We'll play "I go, you go". Otherwise shut yer yap.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

or just one 2003 H1?
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Hummer Expert

'tis true when you first drive an h1 it sounds loud. Now it has grown on me. I think it purrs like a kitty particularly on the freeway. On the trail it growls like the badass vehicle it is. Forget about the dash, don't fall in love with the paint but do turn on the radio, roll down the windows and let everyone know you are driving the most capable vehicle on the planet. I am 6' 205 and fit just fine, very comfy to me. I have driven it to Tempe and Santa Barbara and loved it. No more worries of door dings or someone hitting your bumper. In an H1 you are the big guy on the block. I pitty the fool that back in to your steel bumpers. Serious carnage to them, nothing but a scratch to you.

It takes more than a day to love an H1. I had serious buyers remorse for about a week but now I would own nothing else. There is no vehicle more exciting at 5mph than an H1.

BTW, the interior is not as nice as the H2 period but the monsoon stereo puts the h2 stock stereo to shame.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 PM

Drag is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not to mention being able to part traffic on the interstates like Moses parting the Red Sea. Try that with a Mercedes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well put, Axleman. People do try to downplay that angle of Hummer ownership out of modesty, but that is a great reason. Welcome aboard!

Skull & Bones Member since 2003 - H1 Forum Troll since 2004
Old 12-26-2005, 11:03 AM

Thai is off the scale

Hey...Corolla is an excellent econobox. I list it so that the environmental freaks will look kindly on me!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 PM

Thai is off the scale

Yeah, all Chevys have the same frame.

"People in glass houses should not throw stones."
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Warranty in general is always transfered to the new owner. I saw a '97 H1, the ad says it is still covered under extended warranty and will be transfered to new owner, that one actually only has a couple months of warranty left.

Numbers sort of always wash. If you buy an older H1 at much less price, you may pay more for service, but you paid much less for the vehicle, with the exception of piece of ****, the service cost shouldn't be that bad, relative to the lesser buying cost. The less you pay the lesser your potential for loss when you sell.

With the exception of my first few cars, I have been very lucky in buying used automobiles. I make careful and detailed walk around and see any telltale signs, largely based on the feeling I get about the machines. If for any slightly unknown reason I feel unsure, I walk. Buyer has the cards and the luxury, the moment you paid, the cards changed hands. I am going to make buying H1 a fun project and drag it on for months, if it is meant to be, it shall be.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:

The h1 is a piece of cake to drive. Actually I now fit in more structures than I did with the H2 because it is significantly lower than the H2.

4 main seats, $900 will buy you a bench thats fits between the 2 rear seats. That makes 6 possible seats.

No smell at all.

I love the H1 look, and I don't need to check numbers to know I can afford H1, but I do not and cannot have a vehicle I just drive as toy on weekends, I've done that to know they are nothing but trouble and big expensive paperweight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's easier to drive than my H2 was. I fit in all parking spaces (not compact). My h1 is a daily driver so I hit malls, groceries, kids activities, bank whatever with no problems. Valet's often give me preferential treatment and leave it directly in front of the restaurant. I have no more worries of dings, bumper hits, etc. because if anyone hits this, they get damaged (particularly the bumpers).
Old 01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I will keep an open mind. I am serious enough for me to go though the trouble of test drive and talked to the Hummer manager and general manager. There is compromises with every vehicle purchase, I have wanted a H1 for 15 years, let's just put the issue on the table and get it over with, buy it or shut up. I am aware and more than willing to live with some of the short comings to enjoy the benefit of owning the KING, we shall see. The noise might be nice.

Financially, if it is $40,000. Instead of 2000 H1, I can buy 2000 S500 like this.
Attached Images