H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's Your Opinion On GM Accessary's Vs After Market In Quality

Here's a set of Black roof rails on ebay for $218.00 which includes free shipping. Not GM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-BLACK-ROOF-RACK-CROSS-RAIL-BARS-06-07-HUMMER-H3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ010QQitemZ 200113863895QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

And here's a set from my dealer on there web site. These are GM originals.
All the stuff on my rig is GM. I like the quality...but of course not the price. You get what you pay for. What's your opinion here..??

Last edited by Viet Nam Vette : 06-01-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's Your Opinion On GM Accessary's Vs After Market In Quality

without touching the product it is hard to compare quality unless it is the same part just at a diffrent price. I buy most of my non performace related accessories aftermarket. GM is still trying to fighure out how to compete in the accessories world. Flat out they probally wont so buy what feels right. The dealers can't get it right either. the profit margins are slim unless it's china crap and dealers hate selling stuff non brand.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Im happy with the factory ones

I would see if you could get a better price on Ebay and would not go for installation as it is easy.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
Im happy with the factory ones

I would see if you could get a better price on Ebay and would not go for installation as it is easy.

The install thing doesn't concern me.. I'll do that myself. Just tyring to compare weather or not the GM ones are really that much better for $380.00..??

Haven't seen the GM originals on ebay yet... Maybe I'll keep watching.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
without touching the product it is hard to compare quality unless it is the same part just at a diffrent price. I buy most of my non performace related accessories aftermarket. GM is still trying to fighure out how to compete in the accessories world. Flat out they probally wont so buy what feels right. The dealers can't get it right either. the profit margins are slim unless it's china crap and dealers hate selling stuff non brand.

Some good points there. I'd like to stay all GM..but approx $180.00 more for the almost the same quality can be hard to swallow..
Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are some on Ebay prices seem good

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=h3+roof+ra ils&category0=
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto

Prices are good..but not GM..will see what they look like when they arrive.

While you were searching ebay ....

I Pooped and got off the Pot.. Bought the ones from "G" style for $218.00 on ebay ...free shipping. I have bought from them before and had good experience.

Thanks for searching...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer

I agree, but I also disagree. On most items, on most vehicles, the GM part as it leaves SPO is a good buy. It is when it gets to the dealer the problems start. The dealers, being independent business people, cannot be told what price to charge for installation. I have seen advertised in some dealers a difference of over $200 between brush guard installations.

Another thing you have to understand, if if the part could affect safety, it has to be tested. Example, the front brush guard could affect the operation of the SIR impact sensor(s) during a crash. The side bars could also affect a side impact sensor (e.g. causing a smaller car to dive under, preventing the sensor to be impacted, preventing the side curtains from popping).

Wheels go through extensive testing in Milford too, as well as tires, and exhaust systems. Aftermarket companies are not required to test their components. However, there is some good aftermarket items out there, that are just as good as OEM, and probably just as safe, just not tested.

I felt that Hummer did good with the H3 in regard to the front brush guard, rocker protectors, underbody protection, and even the side tube steps. Mud flaps are ok, floor mats (both carpet and rubber) are very good. However, they are lacking in some needed accessories such as winch mount, exterior camera and/or sensors, etc.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
I agree, but I also disagree. On most items, on most vehicles, the GM part as it leaves SPO is a good buy. It is when it gets to the dealer the problems start. The dealers, being independent business people, cannot be told what price to charge for installation. I have seen advertised in some dealers a difference of over $200 between brush guard installations.

Another thing you have to understand, if if the part could affect safety, it has to be tested. Example, the front brush guard could affect the operation of the SIR impact sensor(s) during a crash. The side bars could also affect a side impact sensor (e.g. causing a smaller car to dive under, preventing the sensor to be impacted, preventing the side curtains from popping).

Wheels go through extensive testing in Milford too, as well as tires, and exhaust systems. Aftermarket companies are not required to test their components. However, there is some good aftermarket items out there, that are just as good as OEM, and probably just as safe, just not tested.

I felt that Hummer did good with the H3 in regard to the front brush guard, rocker protectors, underbody protection, and even the side tube steps. Mud flaps are ok, floor mats (both carpet and rubber) are very good. However, they are lacking in some needed accessories such as winch mount, exterior camera and/or sensors, etc.

All good points ...
As mentioned ..I keep my rig all GM as per your above post. But in this case a Buck 180 more his hard to justify for roof rails. If the quality is that bad when I receive it ..I send it back.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Jumped in a bit late here, but I'll put my 2 cents in.

I bought the Aries aftermarket rails (were $224 on ebay a few weeks ago). They look the same as the OEM, but one of the end pieces on mine doesn't tighten very well (will move if you shove it). Also, the keys didn't work the locks properly, had to jiggle them quite a while to get them to open and close.

That said, for the $150 bucks or so that I saved, I'm pleased with them. Once they are mounted they look fine. I could probably figure out how to tighten the end piece up if I spent some time on it, but it isn't going to move on its own.

One thing to watch out for is the dealers that buy the aftermarket stuff and sell it for close to the OEM price. I know GM doesn't look fondly on those who do this, but it does happen.

Now I just need to find something else to add that I can spend that $150 on.

Last edited by HumbleAg : 06-02-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

tail lamp guards????
Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I want a set of roof bars to load my kayak on, but I need them rock solid. Last thing I need is something to break loose during a stop or a crosswind. Do you think the Aries would hold up to that?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

it is like everything...sometime the OEM parts are better, sometimes they are not...you have to look at each part individually...
Old 06-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
I want a set of roof bars to load my kayak on, but I need them rock solid. Last thing I need is something to break loose during a stop or a crosswind. Do you think the Aries would hold up to that?

I don't think mine would break loose and come off, just one side of one of them will slip a bit in the roof rail channel if it is really pushed. They are still locked into the roof rail channel. Sorry I can't be more help, I haven't loaded anything on mine to see how they do.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

most of the factory stuff is pretty good , except for the lame stick on chrome stuff
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

TANDREW is off the scale

I bought the aries bars just follow install directions and the fit is great . I like them so far no problems..
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Steve - SanJose

I'm not afraid to use some aftermarket accessories selectively. Currently have RW gas cap cover, Corsa exhaust, Motometal wheels, Hitchcam with good results.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Hummer Authority

All good advice. Don't feel to bad buying the aftermarket. As I said.. I purchased from ..."G" Style. Bought from them before and they stand behind what they sell.

I'll post some pic's of the unit's when they arrive next week. Coming slow boat from the east coast by UPS Ground Mule Train. I'm here in Frantic City NJ..so it be tak-en a while.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOCON1
most of the factory stuff is pretty good , except for the lame stick on chrome stuff

Yeah..that gack is lame....

Quote:

I bought the aries bars just follow install directions and the fit is great . I like them so far no problems..

Don't know what the brand name is on these ..but they even come with the stick on Lame Chrome "HUMMER" Letters...
Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleAg
I don't think mine would break loose and come off, just one side of one of them will slip a bit in the roof rail channel if it is really pushed. They are still locked into the roof rail channel.

Is it locked into one of the little notches in the rail?