Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 11-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

This article doesn't surprise me at all. I'd be surprised if a Microsoft product didn't get released without flaws that need to be fixed with some kind of "patch". What a joke.

Microsoft admits that some Xbox 360s are faulty
Microsoft has admitted that it has received isolated reports of technical problems with its new Xbox 360 games console, which launched in the US on Tuesday amid much excitement.

Most stores have now sold out of the new console and Microsoft is struggling to make enough Xboxes to meet demand. British retailers have warned that they may not have the consoles in stock in time for the UK launch on December 2.

Some American enthusiasts who did manage to get their hands on the new machine have complained that their Xbox keeps crashing during start-up or game play. On http://www.xbox-scene.com, an online forum dedicated to Xbox gaming, nine members reported that they were having problems with their consoles.

Most reported that games would freeze, graphics would be distorted or the screen would go blank.

"It’s a few reports of consoles here and there not working properly," said Molly O’Donnell, a spokeswoman for Microsoft’s Xbox division. "It’s what you would expect with a consumer electronics instrument of this complexity."

Ms O’Donnell urged anyone with Xbox problems to go to http://www.xbox.com. If the problem could not be resolved immediately, she said, Microsoft would pay to ship the console to and from a repair centre, or provide a replacement if the fault could not be repaired.

Apple, one of Microsoft’s big rivals, recently had to alter the design of its iPod Nano after customers complained that screens on the early versions of the digital music player became scratched too easily.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...889279,00.html
Old 11-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

This article doesn't surprise me at all. I'd be surprised if a Microsoft product didn't get released without flaws that need to be fixed with some kind of "patch". What a joke.

Microsoft admits that some Xbox 360s are faulty
Microsoft has admitted that it has received isolated reports of technical problems with its new Xbox 360 games console, which launched in the US on Tuesday amid much excitement.

Most stores have now sold out of the new console and Microsoft is struggling to make enough Xboxes to meet demand. British retailers have warned that they may not have the consoles in stock in time for the UK launch on December 2.

Some American enthusiasts who did manage to get their hands on the new machine have complained that their Xbox keeps crashing during start-up or game play. On http://www.xbox-scene.com, an online forum dedicated to Xbox gaming, nine members reported that they were having problems with their consoles.

Most reported that games would freeze, graphics would be distorted or the screen would go blank.

"It’s a few reports of consoles here and there not working properly," said Molly O’Donnell, a spokeswoman for Microsoft’s Xbox division. "It’s what you would expect with a consumer electronics instrument of this complexity."

Ms O’Donnell urged anyone with Xbox problems to go to http://www.xbox.com. If the problem could not be resolved immediately, she said, Microsoft would pay to ship the console to and from a repair centre, or provide a replacement if the fault could not be repaired.

Apple, one of Microsoft’s big rivals, recently had to alter the design of its iPod Nano after customers complained that screens on the early versions of the digital music player became scratched too easily.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...889279,00.html
Old 11-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

Glad I'm waiting until after Xmas to buy one.

More bad press:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Business/story?id=1341...TC-RSSFeeds0312Is Microsoft's New Xbox 360 a Bust?
Nov. 23, 2005 — Launch day has come and gone and now tens of thousands of gamers are huddled in front of the electric glow of their new Xbox 360 video games.

But despite all of the hype, the midnight openings, and the long lines of ravenous fans braving cold, wind and rain, one question now looms over Microsoft's powerful new video game system — how well does it work?

"Mine crashes a lot while playing Project Gotham Racing 3 … nice job M$ [Microsoft]," said one comment on the popular electronics blog Engadget.

Complaints about the unit overheating, crashing, locking up among other issues are appearing on blogs and forums around the Internet.

But is there really a widespread problem, or just the isolated frustrations of a very vocal minority?

Gamers' Complaints
Ask 16-year-old Matt Stapleton what he thinks about the Xbox 360 and Microsoft probably wouldn't like the answer.

"It's been one problem after another," he said.

When Stapleton's mother brought the system home on Tuesday, Matt said he was thrilled to be one of the first kids on the block to try it out.

"I was extremely excited about it and to go to school and tell everyone and see everyone's reaction," he said.

But after hours of trying to get the system to work, he became so frustrated he threw the machine's game controller across the room.

"I thought it was going to be good, but now I don't know," he said.

Stapleton's main problem was trying to connect to the much-touted Xbox Live service, which allows 360 owners to play with and against each other online.

But Xbox Live issues are just the tip of the virtual iceberg. On various Web sites, some Xbox 360 early adopters are complaining about all sorts of different technical problems.

"I've had two lockups (multiplayer COD2 [ the World War II simulation Call of Duty 2] or PDZ [the first-person shooter Perfect Dark Zero]) both on the first day I got it," read one comment.

"My kameo disk keeps being detected as a DVD instead of a game," wrote another frustrated gamer, referring to a new action-adventure game called Kameo: Elements of Power. "When it tried to play the disc as a DVD it gives an error that it is a 360 game. Make up your mind!"

Other wannabe players say the machine crashed as soon as they powered it up.

A Major Problem? Too Soon to Know, Says One Expert
Engadget editor Peter Rojas said he has three Xbox 360s, and also encountered problems connecting to Xbox Live. But he cautioned it's too early to know how big of a problem this really is.

"The question is, is this just a little thing that's only going to effect a small group of people, or is it really a systemic problem with the device itself?" he said.

Rojas said it's not uncommon for a new high-tech gadget to have some isolated problems out of the gate. So far he seems to think the Xbox 360's issues are pretty isolated.

"Even if it's a thousand people, it's a very small minority of people who actually bought these boxes," he said. "If you go back and look at the archives, the Playstation 2 had problems when it was released as well."

The recently released iPod Nano and Playstation Portable — PSP — also had highly publicized glitches when they were launched, but it turned out that only a small percentage of purchasers encountered them.

Microsoft Says Most Customers Are Satisfied
Despite testing and other quality control measures, Rojas believes there's no substitute for getting the product in the hands of the consumer.

"You can do lots of beta testing," he said, referring to the final stage of quality control for software and electronics. "But it's only once you have it out there in front of hundreds of thousands of people, that you're going to find out these little problems that are very hard to discover."

Rojas also said many of the Xbox 360s were sold to "hardcore" gamers who tend to be quite Internet savvy and very vocal in cyberspace.

It's a sentiment echoed by Xbox senior product manager Molly O'Donnell.

"The vast majority of Xbox 360 owners are having an outstanding experience with their new consoles," she said. "As you might expect, we're hearing some reports of consoles not working as expected. But the important thing to note here is that the call rate is well below what you'd expect for a consumer electronic product of this complexity."

O'Donnell added that Microsoft is prepared for the calls they've gotten and have plenty of stock to replace any units that need replacing.

"It's unfortunate and it's important that we get working consoles for those few people who are having problems," she said. "We want to get them playing and happy and buying games!"

To that end, O'Donnell said that anyone who is having trouble with their Xbox 360 should call their support line at 1-800-4-MY-XBOX. She said Microsoft will try to troubleshoot the issue over the phone and will replace parts or whole units as necessary.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

WHOOHOO! I am waiting too! I have had my mind totally set on waiting until mid-spring...and I will keep on that route.

I did see the images and some vid...Halo 3 Looks like it is going to be very sweet.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

My brother-in-law got one the other day for his boys. Took it out hooked it up, 10 minutes later in froze up. Typical MS POS.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Geez! I'm glad I saw this news here. I'll wait too!!
On a good note, are the game graphics that much better than PS2 or the original X-BOX?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of the days when DRTY and I would battle HALO2 on Live.

Every kill would be a tea-bagger's paradise.

I'll wait too.

My Video Collectionez

Old 11-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
"It’s what you would expect with a consumer electronics instrument of this complexity."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love this...ummm actually you expect the damn thing to work when you buy something of this "complexity." Typical M$ bullsh!t.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:32 AM
Hummer Professional

Efrain is off the scale

My son bought one for $399, complete; sold it next day on ebay for $915.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Efrain:
My son bought one for $399, complete; sold it next day on ebay for $915. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the local Best Buy stores here would only sell them in a bundle with a couple games, extra controller, etc. It came out to over $800.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Typical M$ crap. I hear it has to do with the power supply overheating when it is sitting on the floor. 10 minutes to lockup on carpeting.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 11-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Is the X-BOX 360 that much better than the original one?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Intercooled:
Is the X-BOX 360 that much better than the original one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

High Definition graphics I believe. Games will be even more life like.

Sounds to me like once they have the kinks worked out this will be very nice.

XBOX Info

I remember PS2 also having overheating issues if you laid it on its side.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

Anthony33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the 360 and I love it. With the HD even better Im just happy you can play all the original XboX Games