H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Anyone cross-shop LR3 V6 with H3? Both are similar size, have similar performance, and have similar offroad capability. The LR3 is only ~$6k over a base H3 Adventure with auto, but has some compelling advantages.

LR3 Advantages:
- Large windows, great visibility.
- Leather steering wheel
- Flat folding cargo area with 90 cu ft., as opposed ot 55
- 134 ft. stopping distance, as opposed to 149 ft. (even with 1000 extra lbs.)
- Much more storage places and bottle holders.
- Road manners (thanks to low profile tires and adjustable suspension).
- Smooth 6 sp. transmission, with sport mode and command shift.
- More visible turn signals (faster and yellow, safety issue).
- Bluetooth phone integration
- Speed sensitive steering
- Dual zone climate control
- No fake adornments, like hood vent or tire inflation (although that can be fixed on H3).
- Low key (I don’t like attention).

H3 Advantages:
- I think I prefer the cloth seats to the LR3 Duragrain material (fake leather).
- Slightly better turning circle of 37’ vs. 39’ ft. (both are better than what I’m used to, though).
- Reliability. Although the H3 is no Toyota, the LR3 has so much more stuff that can go wrong, and judging by the volume complaints in the LR3 forums, it does.
- Fog lamps (gotta move up to the V8 LR3 SE to get those).
- Non-adaptive transmission (adaptive = unpredictable, and never in the right style when you want it).
- Satellite radio and MP3 CD support.
- Regular gas (same mileage as LR3, but ~$450 cheaper per year).

LR3 seems to have an edge in the technical analysis, but something keeps drawing me back to the H3… an unquantifiable fun-to-drive factor, I guess. Anyone else feel that way?

Curious what others think about the H3 steering on the highway? Does it feel too light? How did you find the seat comfort of the H3 compared with the LR3?

My biggest concern is throttle response. I currently have an Audi Allroad, which I love in every way except that it takes off like a rocket… about 3 seconds after I press the gas. My wife’s Mazda3 is so much more fun to drive because it responds instantly, even though it’s only 148 hp. I don’t need rocket-like acceleration in my truck, but I do need responsiveness. Both seemed fairly responsive on my test drives, but I don’t think I drove enough to really tell. Some folks in the LR3 forums are complaining about this same kind of unresponsiveness. Has anyone noticed this with the H3, or does it always go when you press the gas, even on rolling stops?

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 10-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Anyone cross-shop LR3 V6 with H3? Both are similar size, have similar performance, and have similar offroad capability. The LR3 is only ~$6k over a base H3 Adventure with auto, but has some compelling advantages.

LR3 Advantages:
- Large windows, great visibility.
- Leather steering wheel
- Flat folding cargo area with 90 cu ft., as opposed ot 55
- 134 ft. stopping distance, as opposed to 149 ft. (even with 1000 extra lbs.)
- Much more storage places and bottle holders.
- Road manners (thanks to low profile tires and adjustable suspension).
- Smooth 6 sp. transmission, with sport mode and command shift.
- More visible turn signals (faster and yellow, safety issue).
- Bluetooth phone integration
- Speed sensitive steering
- Dual zone climate control
- No fake adornments, like hood vent or tire inflation (although that can be fixed on H3).
- Low key (I don’t like attention).

H3 Advantages:
- I think I prefer the cloth seats to the LR3 Duragrain material (fake leather).
- Slightly better turning circle of 37’ vs. 39’ ft. (both are better than what I’m used to, though).
- Reliability. Although the H3 is no Toyota, the LR3 has so much more stuff that can go wrong, and judging by the volume complaints in the LR3 forums, it does.
- Fog lamps (gotta move up to the V8 LR3 SE to get those).
- Non-adaptive transmission (adaptive = unpredictable, and never in the right style when you want it).
- Satellite radio and MP3 CD support.
- Regular gas (same mileage as LR3, but ~$450 cheaper per year).

LR3 seems to have an edge in the technical analysis, but something keeps drawing me back to the H3… an unquantifiable fun-to-drive factor, I guess. Anyone else feel that way?

Curious what others think about the H3 steering on the highway? Does it feel too light? How did you find the seat comfort of the H3 compared with the LR3?

My biggest concern is throttle response. I currently have an Audi Allroad, which I love in every way except that it takes off like a rocket… about 3 seconds after I press the gas. My wife’s Mazda3 is so much more fun to drive because it responds instantly, even though it’s only 148 hp. I don’t need rocket-like acceleration in my truck, but I do need responsiveness. Both seemed fairly responsive on my test drives, but I don’t think I drove enough to really tell. Some folks in the LR3 forums are complaining about this same kind of unresponsiveness. Has anyone noticed this with the H3, or does it always go when you press the gas, even on rolling stops?

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 10-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

All I could do is test both (very short term)
the big thing is service. The land rover network is not as big or easy to get parts or service. the beauty of the H3 as a GM product is the support and ease of getting parts, keys, and major work done. I sold many H2 to Land Rover folks becasue they got tired of the constant service issues with the LR. Passion from the Rover owners but service, enven warrenty work is tough on a Rover. I felt better in the LR3 but the truck like feel of the H3 appeales to me. The interior is sharp in the LR but seems a little complicated. LR lag seems minimal compared to the H3
Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats not the one with the supercharger is it? , looks like it gets the same crappy gas mileage, but i bet its definetly more of a road car.. i think the h3 was just meant to be offroad, like i think they put more emphasis on offroad capabilities then on road... i think those land rovers are pretty lux tho, however dont they have a lot of problems? personally im more of an H3 type of guy, i think those land rovers are a little girly.. and mine has no hesitation whatsoever... its just heavy and slow, but relaxing i love it! plus its a hummer... definetly not your everyday vehicle.. i dont have a problem with visibility either but it took getting used to, now i am an ace.. and i love the choptop feel of it kinda retro 50's...
your worries about steering are just silly i think... that thing is so comfortable at any speed, and i have bounced it off the limiter, its rock solid and very comfortable and confidence inspiring.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

To me is sounds like you want what the LR3 has and want someone to tell you to go that way. I would have to agree with wannabe that the LR3 looks more like a soccer mom vehicle and the H3 is about attitude. I like the LR3 but I was sold on the H3 for looks. Based on what everyone has said, the big turning factor for me would be the service issues. Granted the H3 may have some problems, but the service is there. Either way, to great choices.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Its up to you which one to get. Bear in mind that you will end up spending ALL your spare time at the LR service desk...

And, IMHO, the LR3 has the exterior looks of a refrigerator. There's nothing there... It just IS. The H3 has presence.

Oh, and I'm not a LR hater at all. I was dead set on getting a Disco until I tried to get into and out of the back seat. I drive my dad about alot. He has two bad hips and that back seat was just a non-starter .
Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

Truck Trend did a 4x4 shoot out and the LR3 beat out the H3 by a hair.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Steve - SanJose

Jeff - sounds like a fun decision that you are trying to make.

After 3 months with my H3 here are some of my observations related to your questions:

-H3 windows and high beltline are cool and have minimal impact on visibility, you don't feel like you are driving in a fish bowl, feels sporty instead.
-H3 high and small back window does make backing up difficult. Depend on the large side mirrors and use caution.
-H3 steering ratio, heft, feel, precision and highway tracking is very good (my other cars are Porsche Boxster S and Jag X-type for comparison).
-H3 road manners are surprisingly good, quiet, smooth ride, reasonably flat cornering
-H3 interior space is only so-so (resulting from chop-top styling, relatively compact body, etc.)
-H3 cargo space is only so-so with back seat up
-H3 Front seat comfort is very good, rear seat comfort is only fair-to-good (and really only for 2)
-H3 fake hood vent is lame
-H3 throttle response is fair, torque band is broad, horsepower is a bit light (although the LR3 V6 horsepower to weight ratio must be even worse). How did the V6 LR3 feel? LR3 must weigh well over 5000 lbs.
-H3 is mechanically simpler than the LR3 and it's proving to be very reliable and well-built so far for me at 6000 miles.

My wife and I prefer the H3 over the LR3, even though I have access to Z-plan pricing on Land Rovers/Fords/Jags because my father is retired Ford exployee.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps a little.
Steve
H3/white/lux pkg/chrome pkg/chrome wheels/sunroof/XM/side steps/mudflaps/locking chrome gas cover, etc.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Yeah, but that Truck Trend Challenge was with the V8 LR3. The H3 got dinged for lack of power and manual tranny in the hill climb. With the auto tranny and stabilitrak, it might have made it. And then with the V6, the LR3 doesn't have the power advantage anymore. The LR3 also got dinged for a slow-reacting locking diff. So if it was the auto H3 vs. an LR3 V6, the H3 may have won the challenge. All in all, I think their off-road capability is too close to tip the scales one way or another.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Steve,

Greatly appreciate your feedback (along with everyone else's).

I think I would install one of those visor mounted rear-view cameras for either the H3 or the LR3, to solve the rear visibility problem. Glad to hear visibility elsewhere is minimally impacted.

The LR3 is actually 5700 lbs. - 1000 lbs. heavier than the H3, but the mileage and 0-60 times are the same. LR3 actually clocks in a little faster at 10.5 s. Very surprising. I think it might be due to the greater torque and the 6-spd gearing.

I also get a discount through Ford (X-plan), which makes it all the more difficult.

-Jeff
Old 10-12-2005, 04:07 PM

4churchill is off the scale

LKand rovers + service nightmares!!!!

I say go HUMMER all the way!!

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Adventurer is off the scale

I've never driven an LR3, but I do know that Land Rover routinely ranks dead last among all auto manufacturers in customer satisfaction. Horrible reliability. That's sad, considering that LRs are excellent off-road machines. If you buy one, expect to have it in the shop often.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I really think the LR3 looks good, but more crap to go wrong and it needs preinum fuel! 2 main reasions to take the H3, less bling more usefulness.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adventurer:
I've never driven an LR3, but I do know that Land Rover routinely ranks dead last among all auto manufacturers in customer satisfaction. Horrible reliability. That's sad, considering that LRs are excellent off-road machines. If you buy one, expect to have it in the shop often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They give new meaning to the term "off road" as it will be in the shop so much, but they look really good on a flat bed tow truck!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:17 PM

Kid Shyleen is off the scale

I had a Land Rover Disco II, BMW Edition, which I think is a lot more vehicle than the Ford edition that now exists. As far as satisfaction, I loved the truck! Service...a...yeah, 3 radiators, O2 sensor, rear seal. The LR3 should be a more reliable, but Ford really screwed up the heritage in the new design. No working sun roofs, only one compartment in the rear, cheap buttons, less features, higher price. And, yes, that article rated the H3 just behind the LR3 due to power, but the LR3 they used had a V8. The H3 kicked butt in all other catagories.

48 Hours 'till delivery...and counting...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummer3 is off the scale

I have had Land Rovers. They are nice when everything works. High insurance rates and repairs are two reasons why I now own an H3.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:17 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

in other words CHA CHING$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I owned a 2000 Discovery for about 8 months and finally sold it at a HUGE loss due to reliability issues. In that 8 month period it was in the shop no less than 15 times (no kidding) for electrical issues, mechanical issues, etc. I bought it used but it was still under factory warranty (thank God!).

Go to http://www.carpoint.com and read the owner reviews. All Land Rovers have issues. I have to admit the car was cool but come on! I have an employee with a 2002 Range Rover. He also has the same issues and get's a loaner once a month.

Also, a 30K service ran me $1,300.00! The 30K service on our first H2 ran only $750 at the dealership even!

Land Rovers will also get you when you go to sell them. They are like Jaguars when it comes to resale.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 10-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

Yes Rovers are a very classy looking pile of crap.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

if the lr3 was the supercharged one i would be all over that.... hey for the price of a fully loaded H3 you can get a lotus elise too so think about that!