H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Real Wheelin, H2 or H3?

OK, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where this thread is ultimately going to go, BUT, I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing an H2.

I realize that all Hummer owners have a level of pride in their own vehicles. I have driven Humvees with the military for years, I know what they are capable of.

My question for those that have wheeled similar conditions in both vehicles; Is the H2 a more capable vehicle than the H3, overall?

I'm aware that different conditions are advantageous to different vehicles, I just want to compare performance perspectives from those that have driven or witnessed both. I have never been off road (yet) with an H2.

I did a search, those threads I found may have some information buried in them but it is lost, thanks, flame on.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Real Wheelin, H2 or H3?

You live in SL UT!

Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Hummer Authority

Officially, it's SLC UT.
SL UT has more personality.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to get both! That solves all the issues.

We do have both, have wheeled the hell out of both, and love both... almost equally.

Sice we have two labs that go with us everywhere, it's tougher to do in the H3 if you are camping. All the gear, tools, coolers and two dogs, two people is a little snug in the cab... even with the GOBI rack up top. So we normally end up taking the H2 when we do that.

If we are just going up to the mountains for the day, we take the H3.
It fits a little betterr on the Jeep the trails.

More capable? We've pushed the H2 harder and it has handled everything so far.

THe H3 has been great as well but does not have the AP/DP angles like our H2 has. So the bumpers have seen some rocks/ ledges.

If I had to choose between the two. FOR ME, the H2 works better due to the extra room.

On the other had, the H3 was also half the cost of the H2 and will run every trail the H2 will, but seems to take a little more finess and/or different lines.

...my 2 cents.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

h2 has better aproach and departure and ground clearance but not much. and as you know its a big motha to have on some trails. H3 smaller more agile but way less space inside. I think they'd both do pretty close offroad they both have benifits over eachother. If you need the room get the H2 if you dont get the H3. Theres also a big price difference in there obviously.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

I wheeled today with an H2 and H3 with 35's. Virtually no difference in the abililities. The H3 fits better, and turns tighter, but the rear spring mounts hang down lower than the rear diff which is probably the biggest disadvantage to the H3. The H2 is a tighter fit, but has a little more clearance and more interior capacity. So really, you have to go by personal tastes and needs in my opinion. I think both rigs are spectacular on and off the trail!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been trained on the H1 and H2 from the factory and have driven all three at various hummer Club and GM/HUMMER training events. The H3 is what i own and I had some issues on clearence and room dollar for dollar the H3 is the best. For room and more of everything the H2 is the best. On the trail they are all hummers and can hang. It's a matter of pocket book and how hard are you gonna beat it?
here is me with 11 H1's and 1 H2. I did 90% of what the 1's did.
http://media.putfile.com/MOVIE0004
Old 01-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Hummer Authority

I drive the H3. I have never been off road with an H2.

I have seen vids here where the different models have been off road together (Rubicon, Moab, etc). I have read many posts by owners of H2's stating that it outperforms the 3's on the trail. Is that true, or just good natured joking by our more expensive Hummer friends (attempting to justify the more expensive vehicle ).

I realize the H2 has better approach and departure angles, and heavier duty suspension and driveline. It should have, it's bigger and it weighs more. The approach and departure angles are only minimally larger on the 2 than the 3. The 3 would seem to have a weight and size advantage.

Timgco's statement, "The H3 was also half the cost of the H2 and will run every trail the H2 will, but seems to take a little more finesse and/or different lines." makes sense. Those guys that wheel together in Colorado all look like they've lifted those 2's, and added bigger tires for even better clearance and angles.

I put 35's on the 3 and turned the torsions for an increase in the clearance and angles, but I doubt that I'll be running Pritchett Canyon like some of those 2's are planning. I'm waiting for Fabtech to build a lift for the 3, but I haven't seen a whole lot of price difference on parts in general. Seems if it fits on a Hummer, you're gonna pay top dollar no matter what model you drive.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I sugest you do not lift it.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:15 AM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suppose it comes down to your own size as well. if your relatively tall your much better off in an H2. Otherwise you can play with both and have the option of being comfortable in either. Regards The Rebel
Old 01-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

0313H3, Thanks for asking this question.
I am also looking to either add H2 to the driveway, or may even sell the 3 and buy a 2. My Goal is to have all three in the driveway. 3-2-1... If I keep to that I will have both the 2 and a 3.

For me the 3 is perfect for shorts trips and I like the style, However having had a large fullsize truck before buying the 3 I am missing all the room I once had. There is a thread on the H2 forum of "D" buying a new H2 and he seems to like it. Maybe find him and PM him and get his thougts.
I doubt no matter which way you choose you will be stoked on what you buy.
Good Luck and keep us all posted.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Hummer Veteran

Zoomie is on a distinguished road

We have both. We thought they would look cute together.

The H3 feels a bit better screwed together than the H2. Also, I am 6 feet 3 inches tall. Believe it or not, I have more legroom in the H3. Offroading in Western Washington is mostly fire trails and ledges. If you HAVE to turn around, you might be more apt to be able to do that in an H3. They are two different iterations of the same basic concept. You get more doo-dads with the H2, but it costs a LOT more than an H3. It's sort of like comparing delicious apples with Rome apples. If money is no real object, you really can't go wrong with either.
GONE:
2001 Vette convert Black on Black on BlackWHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?
2002 Trailblazer (Wife's)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree w/ Tim! Get both!
Ok, if that is not an option then here's my 2 cents. We have a 2 and a 3. I've noticed that the 3 can get tippy a bit easier than the 2. This is of course due to overall width.

Honestly I feel that if you are asking this question about the 2 versus the 3, you will probably just end up getting a 2 if it's in the cards for you. We bought the 3 last March, and got addicted to this forum. As a result, a few months later we bought the H2 SUT.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Damn! That sounds familiar! They DO look kinda cute together, don't they!
GONE:
Old 01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
I wheeled today with an H2 and H3 with 35's. Virtually no difference in the abililities. The H3 fits better, and turns tighter, but the rear spring mounts hang down lower than the rear diff which is probably the biggest disadvantage to the H3. The H2 is a tighter fit, but has a little more clearance and more interior capacity. So really, you have to go by personal tastes and needs in my opinion. I think both rigs are spectacular on and off the trail!

I've wheeled in both quite a bit (more H2 than H3, though) and I agree with BlueHUMMER. Depends on the situation -- If i'm going camping where there are not really tight trails -- I'd pick the H2 all day long. If it was tight trails with tight turns (and often is, at least in TX) I'd go with the H3. I'm also more comfortable going through water in an H3. IMHO, they're pretty damn close to actual ability.

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 01-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

black20 is off the scale

We have both to. I had the h3, test drove a H2 SUT one day and fell in love with it. For evryday drive H2 SUT drives great, seats are great, more room just a great truck. So the wife has the H3 now. I have tried both on the trails and they both perform great. It is like everybody else has said, you can't go wrong with a HUMMER.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Hummer Authority

So now from several different owners of both rigs, and others who have wheeled with both, there is no appreciable capability difference in the two stock rigs.

Taking a different line, with different rigs makes perfect sense. Having driven many Humvees, through some stuff I would think twice about if I owned it, I obviously realize my 3 can't compete head to head with that rig. At about one-third the cost, that's OK with me.

I love the look of the SUT. If I end up going with the H2, that would be my rig of choice. I'm still not finished spending money on the 3 yet, and would love to keep it and add an H2 like some of you. Being in law enforcement though, that might not be an option for me. Thanks for the information.

By the way, why not lift the 3? What is the down side?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

Another way to look at this. Buy the one, if that is what you can afford, that you REALLY, TRULY want. The only vehicles I have never parted with freely or frequently have been my Corvettes. If you get one thing, but rationalized not buying what your REALLY wanted, you are leaving yourself open for the, "Gee, I should haves..." there are limits to this, of course, or I would be driving Humvees and Ferraris Happy wheeling. They are both good.
GONE:
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

felsmann is off the scale

Usedtosellhummer, great video, best I have seen so far. Any chance it's somewhere else with better quality?