H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-04-2002, 03:18 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

There may be another possible solution to the headlight upgrade. I sent a few emails to Daniel Stern http://lighting.mbz.org/ and he indicated that the H2 has a standard 7" headlight, and that it is possible to replace the headlight with an E-Code Cibie headlamp, which uses a replaceable H4 bulb.

I bought a set of Cibie E-Codes from him years ago for my Corvette, and it was well worth it. I am seriously considering this upgrade.

Klaus
Old 12-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Supporting Vendor

BreathlessPerformance.com is off the scale

This is for DRTYFN

First you can get the HID kit as a low and high beam but here are the problems.

They use a motor to move the bulb up and down on the reflector to cause a different beam pattern but not a higher output. This does not really act as a low/high beam. Second the motor used to do this function is relatively new and has not been fully tested over a course of time. Some manufactures have told us that they have had some problems with the motor cycling back and forth. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My opinion is to use a system that has been tested and proven for years to work correctly then to use a system that has not proved itself. Maybe you might want to buy a low/high beam version and give it a try over the long haul... good luck. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thank You, Ernie
BreathlessPerformance.com
Old 12-04-2002, 01:43 PM

buddy is off the scale

If you want light on the road, the HID's are the way to go. These are low beams only...I have Hella Black Magic's aux lights already mounted on the brush guard for high beams. But, these low beam HID's illuminate better than the Hella's.The Black Magic's are only 55 watt halogen's.

Anyone who wants some intense flame throwing high beams, should check out the Hella 4000's HID's. They come in driving or and pencil beam. I've had the driving versions on my Z-71 PU for over 3 years. As soon as we can made some mounts, we'll be putting them on.

Us old guys need good lighting too.

Buddy
Old 12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Happy Hummer is off the scale

I told you guys a few weeks ago that the HID upgrade would loose the high beams. On DARK back roads I just flip on the brush lights. I never use them any other time because these HID's are BRIGHT. I think Ernie did a GREAT job on this "Plug N Play" install.

I have already told Ernie to send me his 2B performance kit ASAP [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img].

Ernie keep up the good work. I LOVE MY HID's. With or without the high beams [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

ROB [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

2003 Hummer H2, Black Lux. Pkg, Breathless HID lights and Stage 2B engine kit, Mazzi Maximus 18" chrome wheels and BFG 35X12.50 18 KM Mud Terrain Tires, Alpine DVD Navigation System
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod 2 Tone Anniversary Edition
2009 Mercedes C63 AMG
2008 Harley Screamin Eagle Ultra
2006 Wild West Custom Chopper
Old 12-05-2002, 11:42 PM

valkolton is off the scale

Let us know how it goes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
I just ordered the Xenon bulbs online, will let you know how they work out. For the DRL, I ordered amber(yellow) LED bulbs, have no idea what they are, no risk no gain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-06-2002, 04:17 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

How am I supposed to take it any easier than I already am? I merely pointed out that when I first called breathless I was told (by their phone monkey)that the $590 HID kit had high and low beams. Then someone says that it only has one setting- low beam. Then ernie tells me that I should know that beacause I must have talked to him. Sorry E, I spoke with a female.
I don't know about you, but I don't like it when I'm told one thing and then find out it's not true. I'm sure that the motorized lights are a major step up in dinero. In my book that's called bait and switch. Now don't get yourselves all in a tizzy rushing to defend breathless because I'm not attacking them. I'm just stating the facts. That is what this forum is about, right?
Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

The only problem is when you are calling one of the girls a phone monkey, that is not called for. The girls in the front sales dept work really hard to try to help each and every customer and do take personally when they are called names (Phone Monkey) Maybe you would take it personally if someone called one of your employees an uncalled for name. If they made a mistake answering your question I apologize but they are only human and try to do the best they can.

Thank you, Ernie
Old 12-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Hummer Messiah

Ernie,
Sorry you lead such a sheltered life that you've never heard of the term "phone monkey". I've got friends that work for major corporations (Nike, Oracle, ect) in customer service, business development, and order taking and they ALL refer to themselves as phone monkeys. So please go grow another layer or two of skin because the one you've got is too thin to be out in the real world. I bet you're gonna tell us you don't know any cuss words either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 12:14 AM

dr p is off the scale

Hi- I took delivery of my h2 in July and no replacemts were availible accept bulb repl. I replaced them with 100/80 hella halogens low beam improvement was obvious, however b/c of the american made lenses the high beam improvement was nil. I have had hella replacemts in cars for over 15 years--its the first thing I replace I always go 100/80 or better with Euro lenses they have much much better light because the lens is so much better with the accurate cut off people dont flash high beams and highs are incredibly better. legal?? who is going to know as i said i have been doing this for 15 years and how many years have they been doing this in europe?? until the last post, i have been unable to get replacent lenses. I had one bulb burst and the residue ruined my right lamp. I am going to look into aformentioned replacement lights tonight. As soon as Stinger Mac comes out with a good looking brush guard I'll add that and then two hella rallaye 4000 hid's attached to high beam switch along with 100 watt/euro lenses this really works well on back country roads.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:04 AM

buddy is off the scale

4000 HID's are all you'll ever need on the darkest back road. I've used them for over 3 years and still can't believe how much light they put out. Good choice, but expensive. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Buddy
Old 12-09-2002, 06:37 PM

valkolton is off the scale

JCJ,

So how do they look? Do they have that blueish tint?

What is the bottom line of what/where I should buy some bulbs that have the blue tint to them. I have been studying wheel/tires too much to learn all the details on the headlamps.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2002, 10:43 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Val et al,
I got my replacement bulbs (it's as easy as that) here (in Aruba) at an automotive shop.
They work out perfectly! Cool and blue. Low and high beam. A real improvement both on the day running lights and the head lights.
I cannot tell the difference, but then I haven't seen Breathless HID setup in real life.
And then probably not real xenon gas inside my cheaper bulbs.
Another issue, however, may be if my bulbs are street legal or not.
Something to find out (sooner or later).
I also looked at the set on eBay by the way:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874037766
The seller claims these are xenon filled.
Good luck.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

BEST 4x4xFAR is off the scale

Hello All,

I see these HID discussions in many forums, and thought I'd offer an Opinion, FWIW. The Replacement "Xenon" and "HID" bulbs are nothing more than the same bulb that came from the factory, but with a blue tint to the Glass Globe to change the color of the light they produce. In the process they decrease light output, and by creating blue light cause glare problems in rain, fog, snow etc. I hate to see anyone spend their money on these gimmicks.

As mentioned, there are companies that sell true HID conversions, but they have two drawbacks. One you loose your high beams, and two they are at best a compromise, as the original headlamp reflector assembly was not designed for them. Headlamps require the light source to be at a very exact position to perform as designed, and the filament in a standard bulb, and the arc in a true HID Capsule are of different lengths, and therefore cannot be positioned properly.

For those of you that Want to Replace your H2’s Headlamps with a truly engineered HID Solution, one that includes High Beams, you are in luck. Sylvania is producing a 7” Round Sealed beam replacement system that uses a True HID low Beam and a Halogen H1 high Beam, all in a 7” headlamp designed for both. Consider yourselves lucky that the H2 has a standard 7” Round headlamp, as it opens up many options for improved lighting, including a true HID Solution. Check it Out…

Sylvania True HID Conversions

Scott T.
’95 D-90 (JEEPETR)
’96 Discovery
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"
http://www.putfile.com/lrnad90
Old 12-10-2002, 12:14 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Thanks Scott T.!
So what you say is I can take out the stock head lamp lenses and replace them just like that with the Sylvania Xenarc® HID X6024 Sealed Beam Kit?
What about the Day Running Lights?
Would you know with which Sylvania lens kit I could replace those DRL's?
JCJ
Old 12-10-2002, 09:45 PM

dr p is off the scale

did you mean to say h3 high beam?
Old 12-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Hummer Messiah

THANKS BEST!! I was too lazy to type out that info. In my opinion, that does look like the Best system for HID conversions. I'm waiting to hear from someone about how good they actually are.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

BEST 4x4xFAR is off the scale

Hey Guys,

Dr. P., Yes, the high beam is an H3, sorry I meant to make that correction, and forgot to go back and do it. The Quad Lamp replacement uses and H1 for the high beam.

JCJ, Yes they are a direct replacement, pull the old head lamps out, put the new ones in, mount the HID's Ballast, and plug in the harness, that simple. As for the Day Time running lamps, they would be unaffected. You may want to use some of the Coated bulbs just to match the color temperature, or you could probably convert them to real HID with one of the standard Bulb kits, I don't know what type of bulb they take. At any rate, I doubt they really work as much of a lighting source after dark, and would think it would be a waste of money to convert them to true HID, but I could be Wrong....

While we are on the subject of lighting, if you don't want to lay out this kind of money, big, big improvements can be had from fitting e-Code Hella/IPF/Cibie replacement headlamps, with high power H4 Bulbs and a Wiring harness, as another poster has suggested. The beam pattern is much improved over the DOT headlamps, and if you use a quality bulb, and a wiring harness to get it full power the light can be very good, and quite white in appearance. Just another recommendation for something someone else has already posted...

~Scott T.
'95 D-90 (JEEPETR)
'96 Discovery (Not Stock)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"
http://www.putfile.com/lrnad90
Old 12-11-2002, 04:30 PM

LNP is off the scale

OK here is the deal with HID Lights:
The hummer H2 has single bulb 9007 halogen lights. The bulbs have two filaments, one for low beam and one for high beam. The light source position, (foward or back) determines the beam pattern eg high or low. The reason existing HID kits only had low beam is that by nature there is only one filament. The problem is the light source is in one position-the low beam. The answer is that for a single bulb setup there needs to be a system to physically move the bulb foward and back. Catz (WWW.fet-usa.com, look for "new products") is introducing just such a system with a solenoid to move the bulb back and forth. This is a simple, reasonably priced, plug and play upgrade. I hope this helps you guys.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

We are a WD for FET and have tried there HID unit. It will not fit the bulb extends too far towards the radiator and bumps your radiator support. The overall length is about 8", there is not enough room.

Thank you, Ernie
Old 12-13-2002, 09:10 PM

LNP is off the scale

I spoke directly with Chris at Fet-usa who told me that there was a problem with the vehicle that Ernie at Breathless tried to install the HID system on. Chris said that he has AT LEAST 150 systems installed on H2s by various people. I think that anyone who is serious about this should call Catz ( fet-usa.com ) and speak to them about their system