H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m probably going to put some 37s on fairly soon, but I have a few questions. I’m leaning toward the BFG MTs based, in part, on the sound advice from a certain very knowledgeable Britexan, but I’m feeling a slight bit equivocal, and had some follow-up questions for those, including the aforementioned pond-hopper, in the know.
I’m basically looking for the best off-road tire that is not horrid on the street and that will not create excessive rubbing.
Here’s my uneducated thoughts on a few options:

BFG ATs:
Advantages: I know they do not look as aggressive or as capable as the MTs, but I’ve had great performance out of them on my H2 and old Trooper in a variety of terrain. They SEEM to have performed better in the snow and wet pavement than the GY MTRs I had on my Sierra (see below question about wet pavement/rocks). The 37s are also a wee bit smaller than other 37s (36.3” diameter), which would, I assume, minimize rubbing.
By BFG’s own ratings, this has a wet traction rating of 9 compared to the BFG MT’s rating of 7.
Q: Won’t better traction on wet pavement translate to better traction on wet rocks?
Disadvantages: Doesn’t look as tough; dismissed by most as not as good as any MT off-road.

BFG MTs/GY MTRs:
Look great; by reputation, better than the BFG ATs; at 36.8” diameter and 12.5” wide, probably won’t rub excessively.

TOYO Open Country MTs:
My favorite tire, but, according to TOYO’s specs, it’s 37.1” tall and 14.6” wide (even though it has “13.50” in the name). I fear too much rubbing without a lift, which is not an option for me because I need to fit this beast in my parking garage.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Skip the MT/Rs. I can't put my finger on it and I am not the only one here, but for some reason they don't offer the traction that they should on a H2.

They are great tires, I just don't think they marry well to a H2. In Moab, I was chirping, turning over, my MT/Rs a lot more that BFG ATs and BFG MTs. They also don't clean as well in the mud as I would like.

I think in the 37", with their load rating, there is less flex in the tire and that might be diminishing it's off-road performance some when it's on the H2.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Interesting. I had the same experience with the MTRs on my Sierra.
So, you think I should stick with 35s? You might be right, but I wasn't expecting that response. Seems like most people think bigger is always better (with respect to tires anyway).
If I stay with 35s, I could get the Toyos I suppose.

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Skip the MT/Rs. I can't put my finger on it and I am not the only one here, but for some reason they don't offer the traction that they should on a H2.

They are great tires, I just don't think they marry well to a H2. In Moab, I was chirping, turning over, my MT/Rs a lot more that BFG ATs and BFG MTs. They also don't clean as well in the mud as I would like.

I think in the 37", with their load rating, there is less flex in the tire and that might be diminishing it's off-road performance some when it's on the H2.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

No, no, no, no. IMO, go with the 37" BFG MTs. Definitely go 37" if you are going to wheel it at all, every little bit helps.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am runing the BFG A/T on my H2, and I have not had any problems with them in the snow or mud. I do a lot of off roading and I think they are a great tire.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:

Just my opinion.

What did you air down to in Moab? Didn't you make it up Hells Gate with the MT/Rs on?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CslRkH2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:

Just my opinion.

What did you air down to in Moab? Didn't you make it up Hells Gate with the MT/Rs on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was down to 18PSI and did the obstacles but on certain things that others were doing, I would take the exact line they did and they would have no tire spin and I would.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, I just bought the 37" MTRs on Friday. The Toyos were on national 60 day backorder and the guy at the store said the MTRs would preform the same as the BFG MT off road but would be better on the road. I like the look of the 37" tires too.

Looking at the tread pattern of the Toyos and the MTRs they seem very similar. Is it the side lugs that help the Toyo in the Mud better than the MTR?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
[MTR's]are certainly not a bad tire, and are very tough.

That's certainly true. From the reviews I read in 2003, before I put them on my Sierra, they have a sidewall that it virtually impossible to destroy and very difficult to pop off the rim when even when aired down to a very low PSI. They're very tuff tires.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
I think it is the bigger voids between the lugs that makes the difference, the MT/R's just don't seem to clean out very well. If you compare the Toyo's side by side to the MT/R's, you'll see the difference straight away.

They are certainly not a bad tire, and are very tough.
No, not a bad tire at all. It's just when you have a choice what is the best option. I now have done the MT/Rs and don't think they are the best choice.

Honestly, I think they have gotten me stuck a couple of times. Because they are great at traction but when you start breaking packed mud up and it packs into the lugs of the tire, the MT/Rs don't clean as well as they should in my opinion.

Knowing this going into muddy areas will cause you to drive differently, more momentum etc. to compensate. But I know the MT/Rs do extremely well on in the 15" version on a other trucks, on Jeeps, etc. I'm not so sure about how well they clean on those but the load rating is lower, so I am guessing that it might have somethng to do with the performance on the H2.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Anybody else have a bad experience with the BFG MT's in snow? I got caught in an unexpected snow storm with my MT's and was shocked when I pulled out of a parking lot and slid sideways about 4 feet and only going about 5 mph. My AT's never did that.

They were awesome on the rough rock though. But from what I saw, the Toyo's were even better. May have been the driver though.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Hummer Guru

Damn!!! I'm torn. ATs? MTs? On top of that, I stopped at the lowest clearance in my parking garage when clearing the highest part of my roof, and I have about 1.5" to spare. I assume I will be okay with the 37s. According to BFG's propaganda specs, the 37" ATs are 1.8" taller than the the 35" ATs, and the 37" MTs are 2.3" taller than the the 35" ATs. Thus, I would raise my vehicle by about 0.9" with the 37" ATs and about 1.2" with the 37" MTs. The latter would make it pretty close. Worst case, I guess I could spend the rest of my life running out and paying the meter every two hours.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Air down before you go into the parking garage!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Hummer Guru

That's funny. I was actually thinking about it. Maybe they make magnetic shields for the roof.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
Air down before you go into the parking garage!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

BFG MT's suck ass on pavement. They are horrible on wet roads, it even worse in the snow. They are pretty good off-road, but really only excel in the mud from what I have experienced. I would never buy another set of BFD MT's unless it was strictly a trail rig. Just my .02