H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

GasGuzzler is off the scale

Hi All

My rig: 2003 H2 with 46,XXX miles.
Problem: SERVICE 4WD keeps showing up
Attemps to fix by dealership: 3 w/o success

The Pleasanton, CA H2 dealership attempted to fix the problem 3 times without success. The first attempt was to replace a faulty TCCM or Transfer Case Control Module according to the code reader. That costs about 700 big ones and the problem came back afetr a day. The second attempt was to replace the 4WD buttons on the dash. Again the problem came back in 2 hours after picking up the truck. And the third attempt....well, the rig sat at the dealership for 2 weeks and nothing was done to it. My wife continued to drive a rental 05 Durango courtesy of the dealership.

Well, we finally got tired of bringing it back and having to drive some lame-o Durango for 2 weeks. I broke down and called the Corporate Hummer Customer Service. These folks are pretty responsive. I have requested a Field Engineer to look at the problem. After about 1.5 weeks of ping-pong-ing back and forth with Hummer, they finally sent an engineer to look at the problem. And BINGO!! The Field Engineer ID'd the problem to be the wire connector leading to the TCCM. Apparently when the TCCM was replaced initially, the local mechanic messed up the connector and bend some of the pins the wrong way. BAD connections were made between the central computer and the TCCM thus the "SERVICE 4WD" message keeps showing up.

Q: What have I learned?
A: Get a second opinion or third or fourth....

The truck has been problem-free since we picked it up about 5-6 weeks ago. Kudos to the field engineer who ID'd the source of the problem.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
Glad to hear you got it but I'm surprised that the tech didn't go back and check his connections when the light came back on after the TCCM was replaced.

A misplaced or bent pin is hard to see but apparently not too hard for the field engineer to find it.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow I think the tech missed it because the TCCM was replaced with a brand new unit. He certainly did not use a logical and systematic approach to try resolve this problem.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
was it all covered? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Our ODO read 43,XXX when the problem showed up.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hi All

My rig: 2003 H2 with 46,XXX miles.
Problem: SERVICE 4WD keeps showing up
Attemps to fix by dealership: 3 w/o success

The Pleasanton, CA H2 dealership attempted to fix the problem 3 times without success. The first attempt was to replace a faulty TCCM or Transfer Case Control Module according to the code reader. That costs about 700 big ones and the problem came back afetr a day. The second attempt was to replace the 4WD buttons on the dash. Again the problem came back in 2 hours after picking up the truck. And the third attempt....well, the rig sat at the dealership for 2 weeks and nothing was done to it. My wife continued to drive a rental 05 Durango courtesy of the dealership.

Well, we finally got tired of bringing it back and having to drive some lame-o Durango for 2 weeks. I broke down and called the Corporate Hummer Customer Service. These folks are pretty responsive. I have requested a Field Engineer to look at the problem. After about 1.5 weeks of ping-pong-ing back and forth with Hummer, they finally sent an engineer to look at the problem. And BINGO!! The Field Engineer ID'd the problem to be the wire connector leading to the TCCM. Apparently when the TCCM was replaced initially, the local mechanic messed up the connector and bend some of the pins the wrong way. BAD connections were made between the central computer and the TCCM thus the "SERVICE 4WD" message keeps showing up.

Q: What have I learned?
A: Get a second opinion or third or fourth....

The truck has been problem-free since we picked it up about 5-6 weeks ago. Kudos to the field engineer who ID'd the source of the problem.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 PM

4churchill is off the scale

glad to hear you got it fixed....If you need anythign further, were in Marin, not too far away!!

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 12-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

I initially paid out close to $700 for the TCCM repair. The rental, follow up diagnostics and repairs didn't cost me anything.

The dealership did take the responsibility of the rig not being fixed. Pleasanton Hummer seems to be very good about that. I'd also should give the Manager credit of getting it done.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you got it but I'm surprised that the tech didn't go back and check his connections when the light came back on after the TCCM was replaced.

A misplaced or bent pin is hard to see but apparently not too hard for the field engineer to find it.

Mark
Old 12-15-2005, 01:46 AM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

was it all covered?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great it's fixed, but too bad it took so long. Thanks for the info.