H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi to all

Went for a test drive in the H3 Alpha and loved it, but after a week or two of pondering, and the good deals they are making on the Hummers with gas prices up, I ended up with a slate blue adventure package H2 SUT and put my 1200 tax rebate back into the American economy. Lynch Hummer knows Hummers and it was a great, no pressure, sales experience.
As some of you old timers may remember I had one of the very first H3s in 2005 (in the days when you were just glad to get one and paid sticker or even a little more) and took a 6,200 mile roundtrip from MO to Kluane National Park, in the Yukon Territory in 2005 in the H3. It was one of the best times in my life, and Kluane might be one of the loveliest parks in the world. You can go two or three days and not see another soul or car in the park, except for a moose and a rare bear...nature at its best and a dream land for any 4x4er.
It's one area in North America where a cell phone won't work for several hundred miles - so you're really on your own. I could have written pages on the wonderful people I met in Whitehorse.

I loved Banff and hope to meet again with the Hummer group in Calgary. This year I hope to repeat the trip 3 years from the original, only in early August (warmer, dryer and more sunlight than September) with the H2. With the lowered mileage on the H2 and increased gas costs I've factored in a few extra bucks. I'm even thinking of packing along extra headlights - because there are lots of gravel roads in the Yukon.
My old H3 is doing well with my son in Colorado! Fstop, how the heck are you?
Attached Images

Last edited by HummerJim : 05-11-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi to all

Very nice. Thanks for the update.
Havent heard from f5fstop in quite a while. Hope he's doing well.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 05-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Nice choice in color & style. Hows the gas MPG on that puppy?
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Hummer Authority

After only 175 miles of 40% highway & 60% urban the H2 dash computer said 11.9 mpg, and the acutal fill up of 14.95 gallons yielded an 11.7 mpg figure. We are lucky in MO because our gas at the local BP is running $3.65, not in the $4.00 range like some areas.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Hummer Authority

My lifetime average in the H3 was 15 ish with lots of woods and backroads. My best tankful on the H3 was in the Yukon on a 100 mile slight downhill grade with a strong (45mph) tailwind all the way @ almost 20 mpg. A good friend has a new Toyota FJ and he's only getting 13 mpg and that runs on premium!

Last edited by HummerJim : 05-12-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back! And congrats on the new rig. Looking forward to hearing about another adventure.

Sadly, F5 doesn't post here anymore. He's still around on another forum, under another name.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
My lifetime average in the H3 was 15 ish with lots of woods and backroads. My best tankful on the H3 was in the Yukon on a 100 mile slight downhill grade with a strong (45mph) tailwind all the way @ almost 20 mpg. A good friend has a new Toyota FJ and he's only getting 13 mpg and that runs on premium!

im getting 15-16 with my H3...my buddies got an FJ as well and hes only getting 8, keep in mind he does have a 3.5 inch lift and an intake and 33" mickey thompson mud terrains....and isnt the H2 supposed to run on premium? every one i know that drives a 2 fills premium and when i bought my car they said "it fills on regular not on premium like the h2"

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Hummer Authority

No, the H2 runs on regular. The owners manual says use regular unleaded gasoline with an 87 octane rating and the salesman at Lynch (who has been in Hummers since they started) says putting in midgrade or premium is just a waste of money and won't increase performance or engine life like it can with some models.
I had heard the same thing about the H2 running on premium. I think it's all part of the politically & environmentally incorrect information being spun on big rigs and Hummers. I have heard several people already say OMG how are you going to get by on 8 mpg with that Hummer? Well, if you use low range and do a lot of offroading, maybe that's true, but let's face it, how often do you use low range?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Hey Jim, congrats on the new ride and welcome back. Hope your health is good these days!

Not too many of the "old" crowd around anymore, unless they are just lurking like me.

I'm on my second Hummer as well, although I stuck with the H3 and just upgraded a year.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks Humble Ag, I'm doing fine and cancer free for almost two years now. I think having the Hummer and getting back in the hills of the Ozarks gave me something to look forward to - a good attitude I'm finding is worth as much as good medicine and good doctors.
Even with my 6 ft 4 frame the 2 is a little more difficult to get into than the 3 and I find the bed on the SUT handy. I still like getting mud up to the axles and zooming through the forest. I think in the beginning (May of 2005) there were those who just had to have the latest and when the newness wore off..................arguably the cylinder head mess and roof marker lights didn't help the early models and caused many to shy away, however my old 3 never had any engine problems and was one of the most reliable machines I owned. You still don't see Hummers everyday in the Midwest and their styling stands out. Very few people take the middle road with Hummers, they either love them or hate them and once offroad in one, even some of the haters get converted!