Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > Off-Roading

Old 05-28-2003, 01:12 AM

Phantasm is off the scale

I've done a fair amount of off-roading in northern Wisconsin with my beloved H2. On the last trip we encountered some deep water/mud/muck and, letting the testosterone take control of the situation, decided to go for it. Halfway through, we were mired up to the doorsills. Took two H1s to pull us out.

A couple of days later, the check engine light came on, so took the truck to the dealership. Bad knock sensor, replaced under warrantee. Two days later, check engine light came on again. Clogged evap vent, filled with mud and water. Replaced under warrantee. Three days later, light came on again. Some other plugged/blocked component, replaced under the warrantee.

Two days ago, the dealer (who has given the best service I've ever experienced in almost 50 years of driving) called. GM said the repairs should NOT have been done under the warrantee because it was obvious I had exceeded the stated specs/limitations of the truck. The dealer assured me that I would not be charged for the repairs, but essentially put me on notice that further repairs necessitated by exceeding the limits of the truck would be out of my own pocket. Can't really blame GM and I'm appreciative of the dealer's giving me the warning, which may be of value to all of us who like to get off the beaten path now and then.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:12 AM

Phantasm is off the scale

I've done a fair amount of off-roading in northern Wisconsin with my beloved H2. On the last trip we encountered some deep water/mud/muck and, letting the testosterone take control of the situation, decided to go for it. Halfway through, we were mired up to the doorsills. Took two H1s to pull us out.

A couple of days later, the check engine light came on, so took the truck to the dealership. Bad knock sensor, replaced under warrantee. Two days later, check engine light came on again. Clogged evap vent, filled with mud and water. Replaced under warrantee. Three days later, light came on again. Some other plugged/blocked component, replaced under the warrantee.

Two days ago, the dealer (who has given the best service I've ever experienced in almost 50 years of driving) called. GM said the repairs should NOT have been done under the warrantee because it was obvious I had exceeded the stated specs/limitations of the truck. The dealer assured me that I would not be charged for the repairs, but essentially put me on notice that further repairs necessitated by exceeding the limits of the truck would be out of my own pocket. Can't really blame GM and I'm appreciative of the dealer's giving me the warning, which may be of value to all of us who like to get off the beaten path now and then.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:16 PM

MichiganK9SAR is off the scale

Did they mention exactly what specs/limitations you exceeded?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:01 PM

RockYoda is off the scale

I'm sure the mud and muck in the intake system is what did the trick. Next time make sure there is nothing to clue them in on the off-roading. You could also offer to pay labor or pay the part if they dispute too much. That has saved me from lossing my entire warrenty before. Besides, fixing the damage just goes along with the off-roading avdenture!!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:16 PM

unaslob is off the scale

be happy it was just a sensor and a couple of blockages... that mistake could have gotten EXPENSIVE!!

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX