Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > Other Off-Roading Vehicles

Old 03-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Tammy is off the scale

I now have a '95 Bronco, prior to that I had a '85 Ramcharger. Spec wise there is little difference between these and the H2(1400 lbs and a few inches here and there). The angle of departure is the biggest difference (40 deg vs 25 deg).
It's getting close to time for a new vehicle, and so far the H2 is the only US 4wd that is (in my mind) built for offroad. (OK - maybe Jeeps, but they are too small).
So, my question - anyone here that can compare the H2 to Broncos or RamChargers as far as what you perceive reliability, resistance to breakdowns, how much it has to be babied (I'm not talking abuse - just "normal" use), and if you think in 10 years/200k miles you would still have a truck you'd take 100 miles or so out of range (no cell phones, no OnStar).
Thanks,
Tammy

BTW - Love this msg board! I've been reading all the forums & think it's great.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Tammy is off the scale

I now have a '95 Bronco, prior to that I had a '85 Ramcharger. Spec wise there is little difference between these and the H2(1400 lbs and a few inches here and there). The angle of departure is the biggest difference (40 deg vs 25 deg).
It's getting close to time for a new vehicle, and so far the H2 is the only US 4wd that is (in my mind) built for offroad. (OK - maybe Jeeps, but they are too small).
So, my question - anyone here that can compare the H2 to Broncos or RamChargers as far as what you perceive reliability, resistance to breakdowns, how much it has to be babied (I'm not talking abuse - just "normal" use), and if you think in 10 years/200k miles you would still have a truck you'd take 100 miles or so out of range (no cell phones, no OnStar).
Thanks,
Tammy

BTW - Love this msg board! I've been reading all the forums & think it's great.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:55 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Did you take your Bronco and Ramcharger offroad much?

As far as ofroadablilty, there really isn't else comparable to the H2. My first instinct was to tell you to get a Grand Cherokee, but you said they are too small. Ok, you're right, especially after owning fullsizes.

They don't make the 2-door Tahoe or Yukon anymore, so those are out, unless you don't mind buying used.

The Rovers are pretty good offroad, but they're not much bigger than Jeeps and the reliability is questionable from what I hear.

The H2's have some issues too. I've read on this board about transmissions, transfer cases, and front axles having to be replaced, all at under 10k miles. Under warranty of course, but still. One guy had his tranny blow up one week, and his transfer case the next.

You might want to go on the general description board and ask this question, you'll get more feedback there.

1997 Grand Cherokee TSi
It's got some lift, skids, and rock rails, among other things.

*member of the "No Hummer Krew"*

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 03-31-2003, 04:17 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Tammy,

I'm the guy who had the tranny problem AND the transfer case problem. The tranny was probably a defect, the transfer case was induced when I was new and listened to an instructor who didn't know what he was doing. Don't worry, it's all good, the H2 is still regarded as a very reliable and well built machine.

Mike is wrong about one thing: the room inside the H2 is NOT all that much larger then a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's a bit wider and a little bigger....but surprsingly not that much: same amount of passengers, almost the same cargo....but anyways.

Vehicles are vehicles: 4 wheels, engines, etc. The H2 has an absoultely dynamite 4x4 system going for it. Beside having both part-time and full-time four-wheel drive....it also has a very effective traction control system...this takes it well beyond a typical 4x4 Bronco of RamCharger. It also has an electronic rear locker as standard. The traction control system has an alternate mode (TC2) for other terrain conditoins, height control on some models and as you've mentioned, excellent approach/departure angles.

Beyond that is something unseen: big-time reinforcement, suspension, and lots of heavy-duty things that would otherwise snap, break and pop on most SUV's. The H2 also has several other features that may seem trivial, but add up so significant advantages over more conventional SUV's....more then I could list and keep things brief.

I would honestly have to say the H2 is beyond comparison to the Bronco & RamCharger...it's in a different class.

I know many people with both Ford's and RamChargers....not a happy thing at all. Good luck with your decision.