Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > Other Off-Roading Vehicles

Old 02-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Firebreather...good job trying to bring a sense of reality to someone who is clearly delusional about the capabilities (or lack thereof) of a Disco.

The Disco simply blows: Beside being the biggest "Look, I've got money-chick SUV" ever made...just about everyone who has one can't wait for their lease to run-out so they can unload it. Plagued by mechanical problems and owners professing the lack of quality....the lost-soul of the LR legacy fails to stack-up.

Let's break it down. It comes stock with lovely road tires that have the bite of a gummy-bear. The wheels are medium-sized and the underbelly has little clearance. The front approach angle isn't impressive, but horrifically shallow is the rear which hangs WAAAAYYYY out well past the rear axle. If that isn't bad enough they add a big hitch receiver and a cute little step to further drag on the ground. No rear locker to speak of and the darn thing weighs as much as the H2. VERDICT: NOT EVEN IN THE SAME CLASS.

Then there's the H2: huge tires with wide aggressive tread, lots of clearance, significant underbody protection, very steep approach and departure angles, an electronic rear locker and a traction control system with various settings, height control and all sorts of reinforcement.

The Disco is better then the H2 like a $1 bill is more valuable then a $20 bill. Drop a lift-kit, wheels/tires and some lockers....and then we'll talk. Better yet, why not talk to people who want to hear about it...I'd suggest the Discoweb! None of our members feel the need to go over "there" and tell you how superior our rigs are to yours...so why don't you return the favor and deprive us of your viewpoints.

I'm sick of coming to OUR H2 forum to find ourselves defending the H2. Heehaw is right...when your the best, everyone has to take a shot at ya! We've got nothing to prove.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:30 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Fire, you'd be amazed at what a Grand Cherokee is capable of.

"Station wagon"? /moe/ ..why I oughta..

PS: We need more smileys. I could sure use a "bitch slap" smiley right about now.

[This message was edited by Mike97ZJ on February 13, 2003 at 06:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike97ZJ on February 13, 2003 at 06:42 AM.]

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 02-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brianfriend:

I don't have much experience with the other vehicles because I have no interest in them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes one wonder why you're here then....

- Dan

---------------------------------
SUT on order - 17 months to go!
---------------------------------
Old 02-13-2003, 03:26 PM

brianfriend is off the scale

Dan,

It's obvious that I have some interest in h2 or I wouldn't be here. I like to 4 wheel and I like to talk about it. My comments were mostly based on the video. my experience with h1 was in the Marine Corp so I do have some knoledge of that vehicle. H2 don't know much about but I would love to see one on the trail first hand. Like I said vefore, if I am wrong I will state it publicly, in this forum and the discoweb forum.

To give you an idea of the trail that I wrote about there is not a stock produced vehicle built that could get through it unscathed. On the standard rating system of 1-10 (10 being undrivable) that trail is a 9++. It is the hardest trail in colorado--subjective opinion. But from my own experience of driving Mt Blanca, Holly Cross, Iron Chest, Spring Creek and many others it is by far the most difficult trail I have ever done. But I am sure the h2 would drive right through it.lol

If it can break it can be fixed.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Brian,

I visited your lovely discoweb forum late last night and was practically shocked: it was a lot like walking into the lair of a psycholgically deranged murderer. You guys are all bent out of shape and can't stand to see us enjoying our H2's. Your purpose here is quite simple....since Carter's IP is blocked, your over here on his behalf to give us a hard time.

You guys are practically stalking us....you've got our names, our quotes, our pictures.....OMG: you guys need some very serious therapy...cause your mentally feeble minds have some serious confidence and security issues to deal with.

Your only interest here is to cause problems, and then run back to your forum and gleefully rejoice in whatever mayhem you can stir up. Kinda reminds me of elementary school.

Yeah...so the video was a typical commercial, but we all know a stock disco ain't worth a darn. I've seen your rig....you konw...the one that is currently broken...it's all tattered, bashed, dented and trashed: wow...your quite the macho guy!

You wonder where are pics are....well...gee..let's see, the H2 has only been out for about 5-6 months, and I suppose lots of people want to enjoy their new toy before they go pushing them over cliffs. We've got nothing to prove to you. Get a grip, get a clue, get off our forum!
Old 02-13-2003, 05:14 PM

Steve,

Who have I bashed? Have been rude or mean or anything like that? I don't think I have even said a bad word about the H2. Am I causing problems for you guys?

I drive my truck off road and it has some bad damage but that is what I bought it for. And after every trip I make I am more and more impressed with the thing. Everyone buys a vehicle for different reasons thats why they make different vehicles.

I guess I am a macho guy. I wrote the story and posted the link here for a few different reasons.

1: I thought you all might be interested in hearing about it and seeing pic.
2. to show that I do know the weekness of my rig
3. to give a bit of credibility that I am not just a www wheeler.
4. to show that with common sence you can overcome most situations that on a trail could leave you stranded
5. and to show that it is very possible to get in over your head.

I just posted a challange because I thought it would be fun to really see how these things do. Is that threatening to you>

Why do you want me off your forum?

brian

Old 02-13-2003, 07:50 PM

Firebreather is off the scale

Mike:

No, I wouldnt be surprised. I used to have one. I'm talking stock. And stock they are station wagons IMHO. Now I agree 100% that Jeeps are like the camaros and mustangs of the 4x4 community...more can be done to them to make them more capable for less $ than any other vehicle.

bitch slap me? watch it now, im gonna have to pimp slap your ass back to the jeep board!
Old 02-13-2003, 07:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brianfriend:
Steve,

Who have I bashed? Have been rude or mean or anything like that? I don't think I have even said a bad word about the H2. Am I causing problems for you guys?

I drive my truck off road and it has some bad damage but that is what I bought it for. And after every trip I make I am more and more impressed with the thing. Everyone buys a vehicle for different reasons thats why they make different vehicles.

I guess I am a macho guy. I wrote the story and posted the link here for a few different reasons.

1: I thought you all might be interested in hearing about it and seeing pic.
2. to show that I do know the weekness of my rig
3. to give a bit of credibility that I am not just a www wheeler.
4. to show that with common sence you can overcome most situations that on a trail could leave you stranded
5. and to show that it is very possible to get in over your head.

I just posted a challange because I thought it would be fun to really see how these things do. Is that threatening to you&gt;

Why do you want me off your forum?

brian

If it can break it can be fixed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

while I echo a lot of what Steve has to say about what is going on over at the Disco site... I do not want Brian or Musky or anyone else to leave this forum just because they have different trucks or think theirs are better. Let them stay. Brian and Musky both bring a lot to the table regarding 4 wheel drive knowldege and experience. I for one welcome them here even if we disagree about who has the better truck.

think of it like this, its a huge compliment to the H2 that guys who are as capable off road as these two are interested in hanging around here, learning about the truck, and showing interest in it.

i say its all good.

and Brian COHUMMER did accept your challenge. Take him up on it.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:05 PM

gusty is off the scale

So if you wanna talk stock vs stock do all those H2's with side steps get counted out? That seems to be a favorite mod with you H2 owners. What about the guy with the fake bead locks is he counted out too? GM puts vehicles on the Highway not the back country
Old 02-13-2003, 08:20 PM

gutsy:

sure count out the H2s with sidesteps...that actually helps the H2s capability argument. but then you have to do the same thing with the Landies and Jeepers.

Excuse my ignorance but what are bead locks?

and for clarity sake, all im saying is in order to be fair, you should only compare stock vehicles to stock vehicles and when i say stock i mean no performance enhancing mods. obviously, appearance mods dont really count when it comes to determining the stock off road capability of a particular truck.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:10 PM

Hey Brian...please tell the other Brian from the Discoweb site thanks for calling me interesting.

he is right. i dont have an H2. SO i dont know from experience the true capabilities of the H2. THis is the way i look at it. Everyone fudges their numbers. Everyone brags. I dont think GM or Hummer does it anymore than LR or Jeep. So if the published numbers are better and all the independent mag tests verify those numbers, i feel pretty comfortable that the H2 in stock form is more capable than the other vehicles we have been discussing. But the other brian is right. i dont know it personally. i havent seen it for myself. and yes my Disco did get stuck in mud out in my parents back pasture of their ranch. but there is a good reason for that...it had the stock street tires on it. and they suck!

anyways, i guess just start calling me Smokebreather instead!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:39 PM

Firebreather,

I'm hoping to hook up with cohummer. I posted my e-mail. I thin we live about an hour away from each other. This wouldn't be a real competition though because my truck is not staock anymore but I hope we can hook up.

I'll let Brian D know that you read his post lol.

Thanks for the good words on mine and Musky's behalf.

blfsales@cs.com

Old 02-13-2003, 10:36 PM

Cohummer,

I agree. I just like to wheel too. It would not be a competitve thing just getting out on the trail. I have some cv joints coming in. They will be used and rather torn up but they will hold fine until I can get my upgrades but I won't be able to do any real serious stuff fow awhile. I will add you to my list.

brian

Old 02-13-2003, 11:51 PM

Alec,

I droped you an e-mail. Don't worry about your experience level. The only way to et experience is to get out there and hit the trails. Everyone starts out with 0 experience and the people that I wheel with don't get hung up on that kind of stuff and neither do I. I oculd tell you obout some of the really stupid things I did in the beginning...dangerous stuff. Any way...I'm not looking to make this a competition thing. I just want to meet new people and get in the dirt. We will save the competition for sometime when we have two stock rigs.

brian

Old 02-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Brianfriend & Musky,

Okay guys...I think I may owe both of you an apology. The Discoweb boys "pearl-harbored" us and the both of you showed up amoungst the whole mess. I just mmmmmmmight have jumped the gun on figuring your motives were malicious.

Honestly...it didn't help to find my name and profanic references made to me on your discoweb with your names right next to them.

Anyways....you guys do have some great insight and obviously offer a nice perspective on things. It still kinda freaks me out that you were part of a seeming conspiracy to cause problems over here....but, well....that's the way it is I suppose.

I've done some research about the SFA and the H2. It would seem that GM does in fact have some SFA's in their parts-bin afterall...so it was their choice to run IFS, not a default thing. The SFA IS the premiere choice for hardcore offroading and it does offer better articulation....but, it would seem that even with the articulation, the large size and relatively long wheelbase precludes the H2 from ever becoming a serious rockcrawler. At the same time, the SRA (rear axle) precludes it from being a great desert racer as well. The whole thing is a huge compromise to achieve an overall performance. Musky, however, is right...it is a good planform to start from. I'd still argue that it's too large.

Again...sorry for jumping on you guys...you just arrived with some nasty company.

Welcome to the clubhouse....just remember to defend it when the Ford, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan guys show up!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Oh yeah....

My vote for the BEST behicle capable of going over almost any terrain and never bottoming out or tipping over:

A HELICOPTER
Old 02-18-2003, 01:36 PM

SteveR, Thanks. Btw...I am sure you didn't find anything derogitory next to my name