H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale
Default Re: Tire monitoring system override

I didnt transfer my sensors to my new wheels. Most of the time I get a warning but sometimes I wont get one. Maybe I really do have a problem with my TPM and it isnt the sensors that are causing it. I work for MBZ and we arent suppost to turn off TPM either but there is a way. So i guess maybe if you know someone in the dealer, maybe they can hook you up.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus Gump
That is for tire rotations. It tells the TPM where each sensor is. For whatever reason, it nees to know this for proper monitoring.

yes but i had this problem and this is what i did and I never got the warning again? Except when i got a flat tire. Im no hummerguro but i dont think this truck keeps track of the spare tire pressure. Im going on the fact that i was driving around when i got the truck and there was no air in the spare. It never went off. Also whoever said inflate the spare to 50psi is wrong your tire pressure doesnt go down when there is a load. If anything it might go up a little. Its like if you sqeeze a blood pressure cuff while its full it wouldnt go down it goes up cause air pressure goes up.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

if you took the tire sensors out and get the service tpms warning every so often thats normal. If it says low tire pressure all the time thats not.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSandH3
I didnt transfer my sensors to my new wheels. Most of the time I get a warning but sometimes I wont get one. Maybe I really do have a problem with my TPM and it isnt the sensors that are causing it. I work for MBZ and we arent suppost to turn off TPM either but there is a way. So i guess maybe if you know someone in the dealer, maybe they can hook you up.

Rest assured, there is NO way for a technician to turn off this system with any factory authorized equipment. Will an aftermarket company come along and create a program to turn it off? Maybe, but that takes away the responsibility from GM, and puts it on the technician, the dealer and the aftermarket supplier of the program.
Also, I am only talking about the sensors added in the past year or two, which fall under the Federal requirement. TP sensors have been around for quite a while, and until a few years ago, they were not mandatory.
By next year, all cars/light trucks manufactured, have to have the TP sensors, per Federal regulations.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Also whoever said inflate the spare to 50psi is wrong your tire pressure doesnt go down when there is a load.

I beleve the manual says inflate spare to 50lbs.F5 Its not for load its because it wont be used for a long time(maybe over a year)And insures there wont be a flat or low tire when the spare is needed.

I have only used a spare tire once in 20 years for a blowout.I usually fix it on the spot or put air in to get home.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
Also whoever said inflate the spare to 50psi is wrong your tire pressure doesnt go down when there is a load.

I beleve the manual says inflate spare to 50lbs.F5 Its not for load its because it wont be used for a long time(maybe over a year)And insures there wont be a flat or low tire when the spare is needed.

I have only used a spare tire once in 20 years for a blowout.I usually fix it on the spot or put air in to get home.

I would guess that the reason the spare is inflated to 50 psi, versus 35 psi is due to the fact it is not mounted to the vehicle, and the higher pressure keeps the tire seated better on the rim. There might be some reasoning that if inflated to 50 and it does loose air over a period of time, at least it won't be flat if used. However, whenever the TP in the tires on the ground are checked, the spare should also be checked.
I would also guess that all the tires on the vehicle are inflated to 50 psi at time of shipping from the plant (H3 Builder anything on this?). To seat a tire to a rim, requires more pressure than it is normally required. Part of the pre-delivery inspection performed by the dealers is to check tire pressure and lower TP to adjust to recommended pressures. (Vehicles that left the Saturn Plant had 45 psi and were required to be adjusted down to around 28-30 by the dealer.)
Old 11-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

my manual says "Check your tires once or more a month. Also check the tire pressure of the spare tire. If you have a compact spare tire, it should be at 60psi" pg 5-58 They are talking about a doughnut. Because if you dont have a full size spare it probly needs a higher pressure to stay on the bead when you put it on. Its wierd cause none of us have compact spare tires. hmmmm. It says the recomended tire pressure is on sill of the drivers door. And that says Front 30, Rear 30, Spare 35. I keep mine at about 35,35,40
Old 11-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaaaT
my manual says "Check your tires once or more a month. Also check the tire pressure of the spare tire. If you have a compact spare tire, it should be at 60psi" pg 5-58 They are talking about a doughnut. Because if you dont have a full size spare it probly needs a higher pressure to stay on the bead when you put it on. Its wierd cause none of us have compact spare tires. hmmmm. It says the recomended tire pressure is on sill of the drivers door. And that says Front 30, Rear 30, Spare 35. I keep mine at about 35,35,40

You have Wrangler tires, many of us have Bridgestones. The tire placard for the Bridgetones states 50 psi for the spare, 35 for all other tires.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

SeattleH3 is on a distinguished road

O.K. so here is what I've learned... There is no way to overide it on a 2006 with Bridgestone's. The way to "fix" it from coming on everyday is to over inflate the tires (37lbs) or check them every morning when cold. The End. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleH3
O.K. so here is what I've learned... There is no way to overide it on a 2006 with Bridgestone's. The way to "fix" it from coming on everyday is to over inflate the tires (37lbs) or check them every morning when cold. The End. Thanks!

No that is not correct.
There is no way to override the normal operation of the system via a programming change. If you don't like it, write your congressman/congresswoman, don't blame any of the car manufacturers, they have to follow Federal laws and regulations.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Khoolhandz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Or get a new set of rims and bigger tires to customize your ride! Ha!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
No that is not correct.
There is no way to override the normal operation of the system via a programming change. If you don't like it, write your congressman/congresswoman, don't blame any of the car manufacturers, they have to follow Federal laws and regulations.
No my statement is not correct? Isn't that what I said that there is no way to overide the system? How is what I said wrong? I know there is nothing I can do about that damn light coming on but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
What crawled up your ass and died? You write like you own GM or something. Quit defending them unless you are a lawyer on retainer for them or something and then if so tell us so we understand why you are constantly chiming in and defending them.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

theres got to be some kind of way. Someone find the RF reciever on the car and mess around with it.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

im actually buying rims too. Im just curious as to why everyone doesnt put the sensors on the new rims? Do they not fit? Throw it off balance or something?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
O.K. so here is what I've learned... There is no way to overide it on a 2006 with Bridgestone's (or with Wranglers). The way to "fix" it from coming on everyday is to over inflate the tires (37lbs) or check them every morning when cold. (That statement is ludicrous, no one stated checked your pressures EVERY morning and over inflation is not required if you check your pressures regularly). The End. Thanks!

Yes, your statement was incorrect.

"What crawled up your ass and died? You write like you own GM or something. Quit defending them unless you are a lawyer on retainer for them or something and then if so tell us so we understand why you are constantly chiming in and defending them."

People who can't read and make statements like you did, and then can't accept a simple reply. I could have easily stated, that your reply was idiotic, but I held it to a simple incorrect. If you want to get into a name calling contest, we can do that via PMs, because I won't on this forum.
As for defending GM, I will defend them when it is not their fault for having a system required by law on their vehicles, but I have also condemned them many times on this forum. Of course, you are rather new, and have not been around long enough.
If the TP system is not operating correctly, then GM needs to repair it; but if it is operating correctly, and the driver of the vehicle does not have the intelligence to understand that cold weather reduces tire pressures, and then on a real cold morning the system goes off is not GM's fault.
So, read my previous posts, I NEVER said you had to check your tire pressures EVERY MORNING, I stated the best time to check tire pressures is in the AM, no direct sunlight, and if the temps are fluctuating during the month, it would be great to check every two weeks if possible.

I also do not believe in over-inflating the tires, but a few pounds will not cause problems.

I also don't believe I will listen to your advice. I will continue to "chime in" to help other forum members, or to further explain how things work, or should work, and I will defend GM as well as any car manufacturer if it is not their fault due to Federal regs, or people who do not understand how a system operates. I will also continue to "chime in" if it is GM's fault that something is wrong. I would do this if you had 10,000 posts or just 30+ posts.

Last edited by f5fstop : 11-26-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
im actually buying rims too. Im just curious as to why everyone doesnt put the sensors on the new rims? Do they not fit? Throw it off balance or something?

You can place the sensors on new rims, if they won't fit into the stem hole as on the factory rims, you can tie strap them to the center of the rim. The tire can still be balanced with no problem.

Quote:
Someone find the RF reciever on the car and mess around with it

Please, no need to find it; it is the BCM; mess with it enough, and nothing will work. The BCM is the receiver and the main module for the TP system.

Last edited by f5fstop : 11-26-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Yes, your statement was incorrect.

"What crawled up your ass and died? You write like you own GM or something. Quit defending them unless you are a lawyer on retainer for them or something and then if so tell us so we understand why you are constantly chiming in and defending them."

People who can't read and make statements like you did, and then can't accept a simple reply. I could have easily stated, that your reply was idiotic, but I held it to a simple incorrect. If you want to get into a name calling contest, we can do that via PMs, because I won't on this forum.
As for defending GM, I will defend them when it is not their fault for having a system required by law on their vehicles, but I have also condemned them many times on this forum. Of course, you are rather new, and have not been around long enough.
If the TP system is not operating correctly, then GM needs to repair it; but if it is operating correctly, and the driver of the vehicle does not have the intelligence to understand that cold weather reduces tire pressures, and then on a real cold morning the system goes off is not GM's fault.
So, read my previous posts, I NEVER said you had to check your tire pressures EVERY MORNING, I stated the best time to check tire pressures is in the AM, no direct sunlight, and if the temps are fluctuating during the month, it would be great to check every two weeks if possible.

I also do not believe in over-inflating the tires, but a few pounds will not cause problems.

I also don't believe I will listen to your advice. I will continue to "chime in" to help other forum members, or to further explain how things work, or should work, and I will defend GM as well as any car manufacturer if it is not their fault due to Federal regs, or people who do not understand how a system operates. I will also continue to "chime in" if it is GM's fault that something is wrong. I would do this if you had 10,000 posts or just 30+ posts.

O.K. Obviously I was exagerating with the checking tire pressure every morning statement. Why do you take this stuff soooo seriously? Thank God this forum has you to correct everyone and dazzle us with your extensive knowledge. Do me a favour and quit chiming in on my posts at least.
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale

I know that TPM has been around for a few years now and do know that there are two different versions for it. Im not sure about GM and Im sure your right Fstop, but on a mercedes-benz you can version code the instrument cluster into thinking it doesnt have TPM. Its not turning off the TPM system, but you will get rid of the message in the cluster.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
O.K. Obviously I was exagerating with the checking tire pressure every morning statement. Why do you take this stuff soooo seriously? Thank God this forum has you to correct everyone and dazzle us with your extensive knowledge. Do me a favour and quit chiming in on my posts at least.
Thanks!

If you don't mean it, don't say it.
Asking me to "quit chiming in" on your posts, makes me want to continue to do so, just to p**s you off, but instead, I will say that I will not "chime in" on any of your posts from this day forward. However, I will comment on threads you have posted in, and if you don't like that, I can tell you of a nice place to shove your opinion.

So, take a chill pill and:

Last edited by f5fstop : 11-26-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSandH3
I know that TPM has been around for a few years now and do know that there are two different versions for it. Im not sure about GM and Im sure your right Fstop, but on a mercedes-benz you can version code the instrument cluster into thinking it doesnt have TPM. Its not turning off the TPM system, but you will get rid of the message in the cluster.

They have been around for many years. I believe the Vettes got it for the first time in 1997 due to the release of the run-flat tires. Cadillac has had it for many years, and originally, there were at least three different systems.
One system such as used on Vettes/Cadillacs for example, had sensors that were programmed to each corner of the vehicle (LF, RF, RR, LR), so that if tire did start to lose air, the DIC could signal the driver which wheel was low.
The system on the H3 is not corner specific. It monitors four TP sensors, and if one tire goes low, it signals the driver that a tire is low, but does not say which tire.
Then there was the infamous system based upon wheel speed rotation from information obtained from ABS wheel speed sensors. This type of system does not meet Federal Regulations, and had many faults. It used an algorithm that compared all four wheel speed sensors to determine that one tire was rotating at a different speed than the other three. It sometimes took up to a 50 percent lose in tire pressure to signal the system, but the biggest fault was if all the tires were 50 percent low, then the system did not pick up on that since all the tires were rotating at the same speed.

However, any system installed now, it not installed for customer convenience, they are installed due to the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act. These new systems have to meet National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's, 49 CFR Parts 571 and 585 regulation. The auto manufacturers must equip 20 percent of their vehicles with a TPM system by 9/1/05, 70 percent by 9/1/06 and 100 percent by 9/1/07.
Since it is a Federal regulation, the auto manufacturer will not make it possible for you to shut them off; if they did, they could be found liable by the Feds for voiding the Federal regulation, and further liability in courts.
I am in now way saying there won't be some aftermarket company that comes out with a program, but if they did, they could become liable in case of an accident caused by the system not operating correctly, so will an aftermarket company come along and do a program?
Yes, an aftermarket company could have you sign a waiver, but will it be upheld in court? Or, let's say I obtain such program, and then I sell the vehicle and the next owner never checks his tire pressures and goes out on a Texas highway on a hot day, overloaded, and blows a tire, and kills half his family. He will sue me, but as soon as I disclose what company offered the reprogram, they will sue that company too. Easy to understand, it is called "deep pockets." That company will probably have deeper pockets than me.

Now, some are saying that if the sensors are removed, the system will not warn you of a sensor malfunction. I have not tried it, but my understanding it is should set of a TPM warning that the system is malfunctioning. Two things come to my mind on this:
1. The system is malfunctioning and the program needs repair. Something I hate to say I will note to the truck BCM programmer on Monday, if I see him. I do know that there have been two new programming releases since H3 inception. The programming notes say nothing about the TPM system, but who knows, maybe they slipped it in without notation.
2. Possibly, since no sensors are seen by the BCM, it faults to no TPM message, and keeps quiet. Possibly, at this time, the auto manufacturer believes they have followed the letter of the law, and if the customer so wishes, they can bypass the system, and if they have an accident due to the lack of sensor, the fault is theirs and GM has no legal obligation. Again, I'm not sure.

However, I find it easy to live with the system, even though I have had the early morning wake up that states the tire pressure is low.
Depening on where you live, the change in seasons will affect your tire pressure. If your tires were checked and air was added or removed when the ambient temps were around 80 degrees, and then as fall approaches, the ambients drop to around 40, your tires will be running approx. 4 lbs under recommended pressures. Then, one morning it drops to the 20s, and now you are running 6 lbs under.
So, if you get the warning on one of the first cold mornings in fall, and the message goes away after a mile or two, it generally means you need to adjust your TP to accomodate the fall in ambient temps. As you drive, the tires warm, and the TP will rise.
Biggest problems I see for people who do this are:
One, they will check the pressures after driving twenty miles, and the increase in TP can be up to 4 lbs due to the rise in the tires temp. That is why tire pressure should be check on a cold tire.
Another big problem is having the local oil change shop check your pressures after driving around all day long. Let's face it, these guys mean well, but are following some dumb instructions. They will look at your tire placard, and adjust your tire pressure to the recommended setting. However, these are hot tires, and they are in effect, reducing your recommended tire pressures.
So, I have driven around all day, and I pull into Uncle Ed's Oil Change (something I would never do). If my tires are set accurately on cold tires at 35 psi, they are probably now at 39 psi. Little Eddie equalizes the tire pressures to 35 psi and I leave.
Next morning, after the tires have cooled, they are now at 31 psi. So when the temps drop the sensors register low tire pressures and my system goes off.
The Federal regs allow up to a twenty percent drop in recommended pressure before a warning is to be issued. However, from my one experience, it appeared mine went off when the tires were at approx. 29-30 psi.
When the temps start to drop in the fall, I usually end up adding some air to all the tires to keep them at 35 psi. That way, it would take quite a drop at night to set off the warning.