H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 PM

shipbldr is off the scale

Somehow a lot of mud made it into my airfilter... and we'll try to figure out how later.

For now the issue is the filter change itself.

Is there a trick to changing it? Geez, I had to unbolt the hood support to get the top off of the filter housing. Even then it was still a beeyatch!

Is there a trick to opening this thing without disassembling the hood support? And then still doing a lot of prying... ?

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 PM

Somehow a lot of mud made it into my airfilter... and we'll try to figure out how later.

For now the issue is the filter change itself.

Is there a trick to changing it? Geez, I had to unbolt the hood support to get the top off of the filter housing. Even then it was still a beeyatch!

Is there a trick to opening this thing without disassembling the hood support? And then still doing a lot of prying... ?

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not found a easy way of doing it yet. I remove the 4 bolts around the windshild washer holder to get the lid off of the filter.

I do know you can get the filter from Napa Parts cheper then you can buy one from the Dealer.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:34 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I put an airaid filter in at the same time as the MIT tube.. so, I already had it out of the engine bay....Haven't tried taking off the cover now that it's back in.

'03 H2
Old 09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

You don't have to pull that black piece out by the washer fluid bottle unless you've bent your body from jumping the thing off road. Take your 2 phillips screws out of the cover. Lift up on it and slide it forward to get it out. You have enough room. It's a little tricky putting it back because you have to line it up right or the screws won't go in, but I change several a week without ever pulling that piece.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
I presume they must have changed it on later years, because on a '03 you undo two screws and remove the cover. It is very easy, unlike changing the tranny filter which is not so easy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was thinking the same thing. While I don't have mine right here to go look at I didn't remember the filter being that big of a deal.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto. No trouble on the '03.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

The filter cover seems to hit to much **** to go on easy, so I relaese the tension on the airfilter housing,slip on the cover,then tighten em all down. What a PITA.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 09-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
I presume they must have changed it on later years, because on a '03 you undo two screws and remove the cover. It is very easy, unlike changing the tranny filter which is not so easy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ha Ha. 05's suck.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:51 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
Geez, I had to unbolt the hood support to get the top off of the filter housing. Even then it was still a beeyatch!

Is there a trick to opening this thing without disassembling the hood support? And then still doing a lot of prying... ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt, it's PITA. Maybe Hummertech's got a trick but I can't figure it out. On my truck the lip on the cover won't clear the channel on the box no matter how I try to slide or flex either piece. Removing the hood support seems to be the only way.

Maybe this is one of those deals like tires that rub the sway bars -- some do, some don't?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 AM

Thanl you for letting me know that I am not stupid or insane

Changing my filter has certainly been a pain...

Charles

Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked on my 03's filter today just to confirm my memory that "it's easy" and found that the clearance between the filter cover and the bracket above it is quite tight. A bit of flexing on the cover get's it off quite easily.

However, it takes some very good alignment and properly applied force to pop it over the metal lip when putting it back in. This was a challenge, albeit and mild one...no need to remove anything, just a bit of patience.

I think I thought it was so easy because all my past vehicles were cars where the hose between the cleaner box and throttle body was compressed and snaked among other wires and parts and you had to have tiny girly hands to reach into the gap of the hose and box to fish for the filter.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

04 are a bitch as well
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

The real tricky air filter to change is the one in the cab, that only exists in a few early H2's

Ric