H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale
Default Re: Stock audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Getting ready for the install, but just curious about this mounting location for the XM receiver. How big is that module? I looked today, and it appeared there would not be enough room for the module and the back of the HVAC controls on the panel.
I have decided to place the camera on top of the trailer hitch in the center of the vehicle. I am in the process of designing a bracket to allow the camera to sit here. Just have to be really careful if hooking up a trailer.

Ok, I got some pictures of the Xm install. As you can hopefully see, it sits way down in there so the top of the XM box is below the HVAC controls.
Name:  XM1.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  97.6 KB
Name:  XM2.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  123.9 KB
Name:  XM3.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  128.7 KB

I also finally got the trim ring adjusted right. It always kind of bowed down and left a gap in the middle at the top of the stereo. It was really bothering me so I cut some small pieces of foam to put between the trim ring and the stereo. There is also a clip on the top edge of the stereo opening on the dash piece the needs to be bent slightly.
Here is the after picture
Name:  trim.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  124.3 KB

The before picture is: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17910
Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

just a quick question for those of you with the avic-z1. What happens when you go off road? Does the nav still continue to show your location onto a map even if not on a road, or does it freak out on you?? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

No experience with the Z1, since I Installed it yesterday but it most likely is programmed to follow roads.
I have two different garmins so I have to assume the Z1 will follow my on-road Garmin. It is set to follow the road since there will be some variation between the actual position of the vehicle and the road; primarily due to the maps being slightly off. The software will then put your pointer right on the road.
My handheld Garmin 60csx, which can be loaded with street maps, has a setting to show on road or off road. While traveling to Utah, I pulled it out of the luggage and set it to follow off-road. It showed that I was about twenty feet off of I-80, to the right of the shoulder. When I switched it back to on road, I appeared on the road.
However, if you are a specific distance from the road, all should show exactly where you are. So, I have to assume if you are traveling a mile from a road, in the desert, it will show where you are.
Unless you have topographical software that shows trails as well as roads, it may just show that you are in the middle of nowhere, if the software can show a trail, it should show that you are on a trail.
The Z1, to my disappointment is only an 8-channel GPS receiver, that is it can only obtain up to 8 satellites, and it does not state anything about the wide angle augmentation satellites (WAAS). With the software, it is probably great for navigating the roads. Since the GPS satellites can transmit information that is slightly off, the triangulation of your position can be incorrect by a few meters. The WAAS system uses satellites to send out correction information, which allows the GPS receiver to obtain greater accuracy.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
just a quick question for those of you with the avic-z1. What happens when you go off road? Does the nav still continue to show your location onto a map even if not on a road, or does it freak out on you?? Thanks!

I don't recall the name of the setting, but if you have tracking turned on, it will place dots on the map as sort of a breadcrumb trail.
It works even if not driving on a road.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Hummer Authority

thanks guys! oh and f5 when you gona post the instalation of the z1, im waiting for that so i can start installing mine. , cauze i dont really know how . no hurry though. and just kidding i have some idea of how.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Hummer Guru

Just don't be looking for photos, I'll post a description of the install, where everything went, how the wires were run, but I took no photos. I was in a hurry, and it was hot.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Just don't be looking for photos, I'll post a description of the install, where everything went, how the wires were run, but I took no photos. I was in a hurry, and it was hot.
you got any pics?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:

ok, forget the pics. just need to know where to put stuff and where to wire stuff. oh and so far what do you think of the system no that youve installed it?
i understad you bought the "lights flasher" or what ever its called, i read a lil about it on the z1 forum, does it do what its supposed to?

Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Hummer Guru

I'm working on a write up now. I will take some photos of the unit installed and the placement of the camera on the back.
The unit looks good, NAV system seems to work well, but there are many features I have not even tried, due to lack of time. I notice no sound difference between my stock MP3 radio, but it is all going through the Monsoon system anyway.
Flasher module does exactly what it is supposed to do. I have full NAV functions at any speed. I have not tried a DVD movie, and probably won't.

I'll be working on the write-up tomorrow while traveling, and I will try and get some photos first thing tomorrow before heading out on a road trip.

Should also mention that I ordered the CD-SR1 steering wheel remote this morning from an online retailer (Audio Video Dimension); last one they had in stock. Did some extensive searching yesterday, and the only remotes I found were at this store, and on eBay. This store's price was $17.99, eBay's price was $34.99. I believe the eBay store knows there is a shortage of these remotes and is raping people. I wrote Pioneer and they replied saying it would be three to four weeks before they had any in their online store.

Last edited by f5fstop : 08-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.